Working hours - badbusdriver

My youngest son (22) has been working as a barman at a local hotel for the last month or so. Obviously with a job like that, working hours can be hectic, especially at this time of year. But when I learned what he worked Saturday into Sunday, I was truly shocked and appalled.

(Bearing in mind he was working Friday 5pm to around 2am) He started on Saturday at 12pm working through to 4pm, then came home for a couple of hours. Back in at 6pm and worked though to (wait for it) 8.45am!. During this period he got no official break (snuck out for a puff on his vape a couple of times) and the only food received was a bacon roll at about 3am (back in to start work at 5pm Sunday BTW)

So i am wondering about the legalities of this?

I am also wondering what, if anything, I could/should do. He is 22 after all, but I am his Dad.

I am tempted to tell him to quit, but firstly, that isn't my decision to make. And secondly, my mortgage payments are going up by about £150 a month in Jan, so I could use his board money!.

Any comments/opinions/suggestions welcome.

Working hours - daveyjp

Citizens Advice website will have info.

If it were me it would be a discussion with management. The alternative is let someone else be the mug and move on.

Working hours - bathtub tom

Daughter was a pub licensee for years. I was horrified at the hours she put in, but it seemed normal for the trade.

Working hours - gordonbennet

In the real world of earning a living we all have to do what we have to do, his job is going to be particularly hectic at weekends and with Christmas approaching will only get worse, no doubt things will quieten down again once the festivities are over.

Hopefully he's getting good money, with enhanced rates for the overtime.

One could get onto the thorny subject of unions here, i as a union member of decades know without doubt that us working class members in decent unions (and those there who won't join the union but have no trouble trousering the benefits they didn't assist in getting) enjoy far better terms and conditions than others in the same industries who do not have unions.

Of course a union is not applying in the case of barmen and women, but hopefully there's enough benefits involved here whilst making the hay as the shine shines so to speak.

Working hours - Engineer Andy

Overtime? Oh, yes, I remember that - it's what we got before 2008 to work late / over weekends / on bank holidays. :-)

I wouldn't be surprised if BBD's son didn't get overtime, or at least not in the same league as what people used to get. Perhaps if they work over Christmas/New Year - maybe, and these days, employers like giving time off in lieu instead, as some of mine did for working over the Christmas period

These days, asking for what used to be standard employment Ts & Cs will not get a person a job or get the sack (though not for that, they are sneaky about such things and will likely make some other 'excuse').

Things ain't what they used to be. Am I getting 'too old for this s***'? Maybe I'll start saying how expensive everything is compared to my youth, oh, hold on a minute... ;-)

Working hours - Andrew-T

Is the money worth it ? If not, surely there are more tempting jobs, or does he like bar work, 'meeting people' etc ?

Working hours - Chris M

It's all on the gov.uk website.

The working week is 48 hours unless he's opted out. Don't think you can opt out of the 11 hour rest between shifts unless you are in certain occupations. And bar work ain't one of them!

"Workers over 18 are usually entitled to 3 types of break - rest breaks at work, daily rest and weekly rest.

Rest breaks at work

Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break.

The break doesn’t have to be paid - it depends on their employment contract.

Daily rest

Workers have the right to 11 hours rest between working days, eg if they finish work at 8pm, they shouldn’t start work again until 7am the next day.

Weekly rest

Workers have the right to either:

• an uninterrupted 24 hours without any work each week
  • an uninterrupted 48 hours without any work each fortnight"

Working hours - Chris M

As for what you should tell your son BBD (obviously I don't know what his strengths and weaknesses are), I'd tell him to get some decent qualifications leading to a trade or career that he will find fulfilling and with luck, well paid. We need our bars and restaurants staffed, but it's not a long term career - especially when you get to your 30's and 40's. If he can't sort his future out now with the safety net of mum and dad, he won't do it at all.

Working hours - Adampr

Putting aside any legalities, I suggest he looks for a new job. Once he has found one, quit this one.

Except in an emergency, there is no need for him or anyone else to work those hours. It's just bad management.

Thanks for all the comments!

daveyjp, I am tempted to talk directly to the management or, if poss, the owner. But my concern is that my son finds himself jobless for some spurious reason. While that wouldn't bother me too much, I don't think son would be too happy.

GB/Andy, no overtime rates, just standard pay!

Andrew-T/Adampr, not a lot of options here in Peterhead. Plenty of other bar/hotel work in Aberdeen, possibly including ones where staff are treated like human beings(!), but the problem is transport. Bar work invariably involves unsocial hours, son doesn't have licensed and the last bus from Aberdeen to Peterhead leaves at 11.30pm (it also costs £17.50 for a return ticket).

Chris M, that's handy to know about the break, it was one point where I was more or less certain was illegal. I'm wondering though, if the employee is entitled to one 20 min break for 6 hours or more, would that mean if working 12 hours or more, two 20 min breaks should be given?.

He has recently come home from about 4 years in Glasgow (with broken heart and tail between legs!) and the jobs he was doing there was mainly bar and/or hotel reception. He admits he doesn't particularly like them, but he is good at it!. His plan is to go to university, but not until mid 2025 (partly because too late for 2024 admissions but also to have a decent amount of savings).

A wee extra snippet about the hotel in question. When he was 15 he worked there for a while and that did include doing a shift (waiting) on the 2nd Jan. Despite generous tips being given by customers, son didn't receive any (nor did the other staff members he knew well enough to ask).

In the meantime, I guess he will just have to keep his eyes peeled for other local jobs.

Working hours - Chris M

"When he was 15 he worked there for a while and that did include doing a shift (waiting) on the 2nd Jan. Despite generous tips being given by customers, son didn't receive any (nor did the other staff members he knew well enough to ask)"

My son's gf worked in a wine bar/restaurant and the staff never got sight of the tips. Owner was very comfortably off and had a string of other businesses including a hotel and a popular tea room. They struggled to get staff and she always got paid extra for extra shifts because if they didn't agree, she wouldn't oblige.

Good to hear your son plans on university. My son left school with 13 A*-C GCSEs but didn't want to do A levels and university. He did a BTec and got triple distinction. He doesn't find studying particularly hard and I knew he wouldn't struggle with uni. He got a job he was good at and generally enjoyed, but the pay wasn't great. Move forward a couple of years and his gf at the time was a teacher and she persuaded him to get a degree, which he did without too much sweat. He followed that with a PGCE. He's not teaching as such, but is involved in education. I'm so glad he had a (slightly) pushy gf, because he wouldn't have done it otherwise.

Back to the current gf, she went to college part time last year to get a child care qualification and now has a job she enjoys and earns a bit more money. It was my son who persuaded her she was capable of more.

Your son needs to fight his own corner (with your support).

Working hours - SLO76
If he’s happy enough then fair enough, I certainly wouldn’t get involved as you’ll only make him a target at work. If he’s not happy then he has to find something else. Does he have a driving license?
Working hours - Adampr

He should set up as a window cleaner. I hear the one currently doing the rounds in Peterhead is a bit s***.

Working hours - gordonbennet

Interesting about tips not being shared, evenly or at all, presumably some obnoxious owner/manager is trousering those following the standard examples of our elites and leaders.

We never pay by card (thats for internet or seriously large purchases), cash only and tips are handed as extra cash directly to the intended, who it must be said these days seem surprised and pleased at receiving cash tips, we should all go back to using cash and help scupper the plans of the new owners of the world.

Very difficult for somene in that sort of industry to work the necessary hours without own transport, blowed if i'd want be out in city or large town streets at odd hours relying on the last bus.

Working hours - Chris M

"Very difficult for somene in that sort of industry to work the necessary hours without own transport, blowed if i'd want be out in city or large town streets at odd hours relying on the last bus."

Learning to drive seems to be out of fashion with the young now. I know it's expensive, but to me it's as important as any other qualification. Even if you live in London or another large city where public transport is good, it doesn't mean you always will. Public transport isn't good where we are so a car opens up work opportunities. Both sons couldn't have done their college jobs without a car and son number one wouldn't have got his first or current job without a licence.

Working hours - expat

Teach him to drive. That will increase his options for another job. He might be able to get a late admission to a university for next year. Nothing to lose by trying and his hospitality experience should let him get weekend and holiday work to help finance it.

Working hours - bathtub tom

Learning to drive seems to be out of fashion with the young now.

Not round here it ain't! There's a test centre a couple of miles away and it seems as if every driving instructor for miles uses the local roads. You can't drive for more than a few hundred yards without meeting learners, sometimes convoys of them!

SLO, no, he doesn't have license.

Adampr, ha ha!. As it happens, not much of my round is actually in Peterhead. On reflection, if what you say is true, that may explain why ;-)

Expat, not that easy for me to learn him to drive. Our car is both an automatic and Motability, so can't use that. The tiny truck I use for work is manual, but even ignoring the likely insurance hurdles, not sure it would be wise because of how different it is to a modern-ish small car!.

Working hours - groaver

BBD - you could contact your local Environmental health dept and discuss with them.

Any complainant's details should be kept anonymous by them (we do).

They could then visit the premises about some general health and safety concerns which they could steer around to asking about staff working patterns.

Working hours - catsdad

Horrible hours and inadequate breaks often go with that sort of work but that doesn’t make it right. However I doubt he can do anything that changes his current employer’s regime.

If he wants to stay in the industry meantime, pending being a student, he might have a better experience with one of the bigger chains? Although I am going back a few years, friends of my son’s worked for a High Street Pizza chain and they had breaks and got to keep the most part of their considerable tips. They were bigger than the wages.