Ford Focus - Oil leak question. - Herrwibi

Hi all ,

Car has been fixed so my question is about the repair.

Noticed a few spots of oil everytime I drove away the last few mornings . Decided to have a glance underneath and in the engine bay. Looked to be alot of oil on the front of the engine block near the oil sensor . Oil was at min as well. Couldn't get to it either.

Fast forward and have spoke to the mechanic who took my car away and the oil sensor had come loose. Is it worth just replacing this or seeing how things go ?

Currently 500 miles away from home and can't use my local garage .

Ford Focus - Oil leak question. - skidpan

Oil sensor had come loose. Is it worth just replacing this or seeing how things go

Why not get it tightened? Might just cure it.

Ford Focus - Oil leak question. - bathtub tom

Are the oil drips getting worse, staying the same or becoming less as the days go by?

Ford Focus - Oil leak question. - Herrwibi

Sensor has been tightened and area cleaned . No leaks so far after the guy ran it up . My concern is why has it become loose. Is there an issue with the thread , might just be a one odd.

If I'm honest , I've only been paying attention to see if there is a puddle there .

Edited by Herrwibi on 28/11/2023 at 19:43

Ford Focus - Oil leak question. - edlithgow

Not clear from your description whether you still have an oil leak or not.

If not, fuggedaboudit. It probably became loose because your Black Hand loosened it.

If there IS still an oil leak, I would try PTFE thread tape, assuming the sensor of which you speak is a screw-in thing.

If that doesnt fix it, I'd de-grease the sensor and apply RTV silicone sparingly (because you dont want bits of it circulating in your oil system) to the threads and any washer-type sealing surface.

If that doesnt fix it, I'd assess whether the threads are sufficiently damaged that it might spit out the sensor and suddenly become much worse. If not, I'd just live with it.

If it IS that marginal, and it can it be fixed by replacing the sensor, do that.

If its the female threads, then I suppose you are looking at fixing them (by thread chaser, JB Weld, or Helicoil stylee insert) which is a big deal, especially if access is poor,

A thin piece of aluminium foil (sweetie wrapper) might give damaged threads enough grip. to hang in there

Edited by edlithgow on 29/11/2023 at 01:44