Toyota Rav 4 2003 - Heated rear window not working - Steveieb

First time I’ve had to use the HRW to find it doesn’t work.

Checked the fuse which is ok but there is a relay in the system and a cable leading from the main body to the rear door which gets a lot of pulling. The cable is contained within a rubber tube.

Is there any common design faults on this car which may help me to isolate the fault please ?

Checking the terminals on the window involve stripping the plastic covers .

Toyota Rav 4 2003 - Heated rear window not working - elekie&a/c doctor
I think the only way to check the wiring connectors to the glass , is to remove the tailgate side panel trims .
Toyota Rav 4 2003 - Heated rear window not working - Railroad.

Not really sure how you could regard the heated rear screen not working on a 20 year old car as a design fault. Use a 12v test lamp to check for feed on one side of the screen. The other side goes to earth. You can also gently touch each element with your test lamp to check or any breaks.

Rear window is shot and with the elements buried in the glass , looks like I will have to live with it .

Toyota Rav 4 2003 - Heated rear window not working - bathtub tom

If none of it's working, I'd suspect a fault other than within the glass. I've one element out on mine and it produces a 'hot spot' at the break/hr. One day I may get around to trying some conductive paint to repair it.

Got the rear screen checked by an auto electrician who confirmed that power was reaching the. Screen but every single element was broken.

The element is buried in the glass so no repair possible.

Must be down to the rear door being slammed closed causing the damage !

Toyota Rav 4 2003 - Heated rear window not working - bathtub tom

I very much doubt it! The elements are just on or below the surface of the screen, if all of them are broken I'd suspect it's been done by some over-enthusiastic cleaning of the inside of the screen.

Toyota Rav 4 2003 - Heated rear window not working - Bromptonaut

I very much doubt it! The elements are just on or below the surface of the screen, if all of them are broken I'd suspect it's been done by some over-enthusiastic cleaning of the inside of the screen.

I'd go with that too, either cleaning or stuff moving against the inside of the window when in motion.

I think you can still buy electroconductive paint to bridge the gaps though whether one has the patience to fiddle with it over a whole screen is another story.

Toyota Rav 4 2003 - Heated rear window not working - Andrew-T

Another source of damage is finger-rings with exposed stones ! Any lady owners ?