Insurance no declaration of accident - Ruth Witham

Genuinely forgot to disclose an accident on my daughters insurance. The claim was declared closed and filed in September 23. The accident happened in September 22. She had another accident today but when I looked over her policy for excess the other accident hadn't been declared. She had genuinely forgotten. Obvs we have sent a claim for the eaccident today already. Not sure if the woman will claim or not. Do you suggest I call the insurance company and explain the situation? What might happen

Edited by Ruth Witham on 05/12/2023 at 00:22

Insurance no declaration of accident - Andrew-T

I suppose a likely outcome may be an adjustment to the premium. But I do wonder how your daughter might 'genuinely forget' an incident which must have been fresh in her 'memory' ?

But certainly speak to the insurers, as it is always best not to risk being found to have withheld info.

Edited by Andrew-T on 05/12/2023 at 09:26

Insurance no declaration of accident - gordonbennet

I'm no expert so looking at this from an amateurs point of view, do we assume insurance has been renewed in the period between the two crashes?

Did her own insurance have to cough up because she was at fault first time, is this going to be the same scenario, if so the insurance are going to be less understanding than if she was not at fault in the first incident.

They could i suppose decline to cover her own repair costs, if she's at fault they may well honour the third party claims, let us hope that is the worse case.

If she's not at fault then her claim is against the other party's insurer anyway her own insurer only advised as required with no actual claim on her policy, hopefully Andrews suggestion is the more likely outcome.

Lesson to be learned here, declare everything, i do, what happens if i cause a £million accident?

Insurance no declaration of accident - Chris M

"what happens if i cause a £million accident?"

It would be covered. Damage to your own vehicle wouldn't be, but any third party (including passengers in your vehicle) would.

"what happens if i cause a £million accident?"

It would be covered. Damage to your own vehicle wouldn't be, but any third party (including passengers in your vehicle) would.

Yes that part is known but won't the insurer come after me later for their considerable losses due to my failure to declare? something i'd not want to put to the test, could i come up with a million? not immediately but once they're had home and everything else not that far off, i wouldn't be risking it.

Taking such risks is for people who've nothing worth going after which are typically those who don't insure tax or MOT their vehicles anyway.

I know the insurers tended not to fight the cash for crash scammers, but being typically the usual suspects unlikely to have ever done a days honest work there would be little point in suing them, i wish they had done mind.

Insurance no declaration of accident - Chris M

Potentially they could come after you - their shareholders would expect them to mitigate the loss. But I guess it would be a judgement call as to whether it was worth the trouble. Risk v. reward. Few would have sympathy with the scrote who deliberately drove without insurance but had few assets against the honest individual who made a genuine error but has deeper pockets.

Sounds like your pockets are reasonably deep GB so I nominate you to test the system. Do I have a seconder? ;)

Risk v. reward. Few would have sympathy with the scrote who deliberately drove without insurance but had few assets against the honest individual who made a genuine error but has deeper pockets.

Sounds like your pockets are reasonably deep GB so I nominate you to test the system. Do I have a seconder? ;)

Trust me for everything we've got we've both worked hard from childhood, played by the rules too to not put ourselves in the frame.

Reckon an ex civil service pensioner would be the better test case, that gold plated pension should see the vultures circling, wonder if anyone here maybe not a millions miles from me would be willing contender...methinks he's got more sense as well as more spare loot to risk.

Insurance no declaration of accident - Bromptonaut

Reckon an ex civil service pensioner would be the better test case, that gold plated pension should see the vultures circling, wonder if anyone here maybe not a millions miles from me would be willing contender...methinks he's got more sense as well as more spare loot to risk.

I think the hypothetical insurer is looking at assets rather than income.

A Civil Service pension paying (say) £25k pa may have a book value or a lifetime allowance for tax of quite a lot. However I cannot dip into that pot and turn it into a yacht or whatever. It has literally no asset value.

OTOH a well paid LGV driver with a nice house and fair bit stashed in DC pensions would be much more attractive to bankrupt.....

:-P

touche :-)

Thankfully neither an imaginary (still working his aged arthritic fingers to the bone) steering wheel operative or a retired Mandarin are daft enough to not tell their insurer pertinent info thereby not risking their well deserved comforts.

Insurance no declaration of accident - Bromptonaut

touche :-)

Thankfully neither an imaginary (still working his aged arthritic fingers to the bone) steering wheel operative or a retired Mandarin are daft enough to not tell their insurer pertinent info thereby not risking their well deserved comforts.

More like a very small Satsuma...

Insurance no declaration of accident - Gerry Sanderson

Depending on what questions were asked /completed on proposal form then bear in mind this sledge hammer

Google Section 174(5) Road Traffic Act 1988

dvd