Skoda Kodiaq - Can I claim compenstion - IQ

The camshaft pulley bolts became lose on my 5yr old Kodiaq 1.4 Petrol after only 24400mls It has been suggested this fault was due to incorrect torque settings when manufactured. What ever the cause its not something that should occur at less than 25000 miles. If I'm unsuccessful requesting a good will gesture do you think I have a case for taking legal action. The bill is one thing but worse is the inconvenience of not having a car for 3 wks

Skoda Kodiaq - Can I claim compenstion - Theophilus

Has it been serviced at correct intervals by a Skoda agent?

If so, I think you can justifiably feel aggrieved, and expect a sympathetic response; but if the car hasn't got a full Skoda service record I rather doubt you would succeed in taking legal action.

Skoda Kodiaq - Can I claim compenstion - skidpan

Personally I would not expect the issue to take 5 years (even if the mileage is low) to appear if the bolts had been incorrectly torqued but has the cam belt been changed since new?

In theory I don't think a full service record should affect any claim since cam belt torque is not an item that is ever checked.

But just remember that nay claim is against the dealer who sold you the car since they and not Skoda are the organisation you have a contract with.

To say you have no chance would be a fair appraisal IMHO.

Skoda Kodiaq - Can I claim compenstion - elekie&a/c doctor
Don’t think you’re alone with this failure. Looking at various vag forums, it would appear to be known issue . Cam variator bolts coming loose .
Skoda Kodiaq - Can I claim compenstion - skidpan
Don’t think you’re alone with this failure. Looking at various vag forums, it would appear to be known issue . Cam variator bolts coming loose .

Never heard of this thus just done a Google for "VAG CAM VARIATOR BOLT ISSUES". Based on the above answer I expected quite a lot but in reality only got a couple of hits that are relevant (most seemed to be for chain cam engines) and one of those was from Australia in 2014.

So whilst known it does not seem to be that common in the 1.4 TSi.

I would not expect the bolts to come lose at all during the lifetime of the car.

The cam belt according to Skoda does not need replacing

The car was bought from a Skoda dealer, the same dealer that will be repairing my car.

I will be asking them for a gesture of good will. .

I contacted the Skoda dealer for a progress report and was told the parts have been ordered and the bill would be £1055

Apparently any gesture of good will would have to be sanctioned by .Skoda at Milton Keynes

I have e-mailed the above and will post their reply if and when.