09 Smart 451 CDI 45bhp - MOT emissions failure - bootzey

Hi.

Car has a high emissions result of 2.52. There's no fault codes or EML on so it's really confusing and I don't know where to start troubleshooting. It's has a double dose of CataClean. 02 sensor is permanently on 0.8 volts but drops briefly when I put my foot down. Anyone got any tips please? Cheers

09 Smart 451 CDI 45bhp - MOT emissions failure - Big John

What state is the air filter in?

09 Smart 451 CDI 45bhp - MOT emissions failure - elekie&a/c doctor
As it’s a diesel, I suspect the inlet air tract and egr pipe work is all choked up with carbonised sludge , causing the engine to be starved of adequate air for combustion. Needs to have the inlet manifold removed for inspection.
09 Smart 451 CDI 45bhp - MOT emissions failure - Railroad.

The diesel emission test only checks overall smoke density, not for individual pollutants within it. Excessive smoke essentially means one of two things. Either too much fuel or too little air. The above comment is the more likely. The engine is probably starved of sufficient air due to carbon build up in the air intake system. A very common issue with diesel engines.

09 Smart 451 CDI 45bhp - MOT emissions failure - Gibbo_Wirral

I'd start with a second opinion on diagnostics.

Not sure what scanner you used but cheap ODB2 and "scan any car" scanners can often fail to correctly interrogate the ECU to retrieve the codes.

And use one that can read live data

09 Smart 451 CDI 45bhp - MOT emissions failure - Railroad.

Not sure what scanner you used but cheap ODB2 and "scan any car" scanners can often fail to correctly interrogate the ECU to retrieve the codes.

I'm not entirely sure that's quite true. EOBD (or OBD2 as it's known in North America and Asia) is a standard by which all cars must comply. The manufacturer must allow access to a minimum amount of information and data relating to engine emissions. How much more data they make available or otherwise is entirely at their discretion. All compatible EOBD devices should cover all the protocols to access engine emission data on any compliant car, but they will not be able to access any manufacturer specific engine data or any other module on the vehicle. This is where such devices have their limitations. As long as you're aware of that when you buy one there should be no problem. All compliant vehicles use standard Powertrain (P) fault codes.

09 Smart 451 CDI 45bhp - MOT emissions failure - RichardW

It's probably Euro 4 with no DPF. A good dose of injector cleaner and a good hard thrash will most likely get it through.