Mg5 long-range 23 plate - New car major fault .. taking dealership to court. - Stephen Reece

Hi all.. any advise on whether an untrained person can successfully take a dealership to court.

It's just a blatantly crazy scenario..

I bought a 23 plate mg5 in apr23 ... from new.. not even registered and 13 miles on clock.

On picking car up I noticed the back passenger door doesn't open from inside..

I have call logs and emails showing I reported problems first week and returned car to garage multiple times....

I was told just stuff and need time to relax the mechanics (my first new car so what did I know).. this has nowtranvelled to include front passenger side door does same thing.

To date I've make over 30 calls, the cars been in garage 5 time and worked on 3 times and allways same.reaponse ....last 2 repairs they said they need new parts.... that was 1 months ago and 2 weeks ago..

I have an independent garage who wrote a report saying neither door is opening..

The dealer won't take any action but after writing a. Letter stating right to reject or court, they now want it in saying part are available.

I don't want car anymore as how do I know it's ever going to be safe.

Has anyone taken a dealer to court and is it likely a noob could prepare documents etc...

I've been told Emily court representing myself but I take it county court is totally different.

35k car value

Mg5 long-range 23 plate - New car major fault .. taking dealership to court. - skidpan

Under CRA 2015 you will not get the amount you paid back since its over 30 days and you have not officially rejected. So if you rejected now expect a loss.

Might be as well to simply sell to WBAC (or similar) and put it down to experience.

In future remember the 3 golden rules of car buying.

Rule 1 All dealers are liars

Rule 2 All dealers are liars

Rule 3 Refer to rules 1 and 2

Edited by skidpan on 29/12/2023 at 09:23

Mg5 long-range 23 plate - New car major fault .. taking dealership to court. - leaseman

Stephen. There are parts shortages with many manufacturers. Some are worse than others.

Now that the dealer has the necessary parts in stock, you need to give them the chance to put the car right and that, I'm afraid, is your best option for now, without a doubt.

You can represent yourself in a civil court, as I have indeed done myself with success, in a similar situation to that which you describe. But you need to have an in-depth knowledge of all the aspects of current laws, in particular the Consumer Rights Act.

Mg5 long-range 23 plate - New car major fault .. taking dealership to court. - pd

A front door not opening from the inside is a MOT failure so you should not be made/expected to drive the car whilst this fault exists.

At the very least the dealer should provide you with a loan car whilst yours is off the road. The parts issue is not your problem.

I'm not sure it warrants full rejection and if they can fix it then fine but keep the pressure up. If they are providing you with a loan car it will at least incentivise them to get on with it.

Mg5 long-range 23 plate - New car major fault .. taking dealership to court. - RT

A front door not opening from the inside is a MOT failure so you should not be made/expected to drive the car whilst this fault exists.

At the very least the dealer should provide you with a loan car whilst yours is off the road. The parts issue is not your problem.

I'm not sure it warrants full rejection and if they can fix it then fine but keep the pressure up. If they are providing you with a loan car it will at least incentivise them to get on with it.

I've heard elsewhere that MG warranty expressly excludes free loan cars - if this is true the brand needs avoiding like the plague.

Mg5 long-range 23 plate - New car major fault .. taking dealership to court. - FiestaOwner
On picking car up I noticed the back passenger door doesn't open from inside..

Are you sure that it isn't just the "Child Proof Locks" that have been set.

See page 120 (or page 134 if you're using the browser page number) of the owners manual.

www.mg.co.uk/sites/default/files/2021-11/MG5%20EV%...f

Mg5 long-range 23 plate - New car major fault .. taking dealership to court. - Andrew-T

<< Are you sure that it isn't just the "Child Proof Locks" that have been set.? >>

Surely any half-intelligent dealer might have thought of that ? But perhaps the electronics think they have been, or maybe a faulty lock ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 13/01/2024 at 09:31

Mg5 long-range 23 plate - New car major fault .. taking dealership to court. - FiestaOwner

<< Are you sure that it isn't just the "Child Proof Locks" that have been set.? >>

Surely any half-intelligent dealer might have thought of that ? But perhaps the electronics think they have been, or maybe a faulty lock ?

You would like to think so, but with my experience of dealers, I wouldn't bet on it.

However, I've reread the post and missed the fact that the front passenger door is also affected. I've never heard of a car with a child lock on the front passenger door, so it seems likely I'm barking up the wrong tree.