EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - Kieran Dellow

Hi there,

I'm currently gathering data for a dissertation comparing EVs to ICE vehicles, and would appreciate any answers to the survey below, it should take no longer than 5-10 minutes!

The link for the survey is below:
forms.office.com/e/qv8r859SdT
Thanks for any answers,
Kieran.

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - FP

Done.

However...

Questions 9 and 10 include the instruction "Tick all that apply", but it is impossible to select more than one response.

Not sure if the research is being conducted in the UK, but the British English spelling is "licence".

It would be nice to have some details about what the research is for. "A dissertation" is pretty vague. Which degree? Which university? (I am a post-graduate research student myself.) Such information would encourage more responses.

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - leaseman

Looks fairly harmless, so haven't deleted, but can't figure out how to answer on a scale of 1 to 10 when only given 5 boxes to tick either ......

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - TrevaHoeger

I have some question, should I ask it?

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - gordonbennet

Q9 i can't answer because i find nothing remotely attractive about a battery car.

Q10 only one answer possible.

Because i can't answer Q9 and refuse to answer just to suit a possibly pre determined result so i can't submit the form, complete waste of time, suggest sorting the form out ironing out the issues or just delete it.

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - skidpan

Q9 i can't answer because i find nothing remotely attractive about a battery car.

Just because you cannot answer Q9 since you don't find EV's attractive does not make the survey a complete waste of time. Most of us accept EV's are the future and having driven plenty of miles in our PHEV on solely battery power I can see the attraction. Only thing that makes one useless for us at present is the total lack of (working) charging facilities in the locality of our lodge near Aviemore. Plenty shown but in the 6 visits we have made to Scotland since buying the PHEV in late 2020 we have managed to charge once and put about 10 miles in (zero £'s at the time with Charge Points Scotland). We met a couple in 2021 with a new MG5 and just like us they could not find anywhere to charge their car sufficiently to get to Perth and what showed a decent charging infrastructure. Probably still sat in a cafe buying coffees 3 years later whilst they get a dose at 3kw.

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - movilogo

Q9 - does not list refueling/recharging time inconvenience as an option.

Q10 - multi choice but allows only 1 answer

Most of us accept EV's are the future

Agree - EV is the future. All our arguments are related to whether EV is attractive at present.

Edited by movilogo on 11/01/2024 at 12:23

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - MGspannerman
Oh dear. I am sorry to say that this questionnaire is in a poorly developed and had I been supervising this student it would not go out in this state. I doubt it has been pre-tested, and wonder if any thought has been given as to desired sample size to achieve statistically valid data or how the data will be analysed.

There are various problems here and I won’t go into detail. However it should have an up front statement as to the purpose and intent of the research together with an ethics statement. As noted there are questions with a 1-10 scale for the response when only 1-5 options are given. The final question asks about insurance an£ preference to purchase, but what about other influencing factors such as price? I could go on, but Kieran, you need to return to the literature on questionnaire development and review this accordingly.
EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - De Sisti
Oh dear. I am sorry to say that this questionnaire is in a poorly developed and had I been supervising this student it would not go out in this state. I doubt it has been pre-tested, and wonder if any thought has been given as to desired sample size to achieve statistically valid data or how the data will be analysed. There are various problems here and I won’t go into detail. However it should have an up front statement as to the purpose and intent of the research together with an ethics statement. As noted there are questions with a 1-10 scale for the response when only 1-5 options are given. The final question asks about insurance an£ preference to purchase, but what about other influencing factors such as price? I could go on, but Kieran, you need to return to the literature on questionnaire development and review this accordingly.

Will the moderators re-visit their decision to let the questionnaire remain?

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - Xileno

It's not doing any harm. Infact the feedback about the design of the questionnaire itself should be useful to the researcher.

People can ignore it if they wish, it will die of its own accord, slowly dropping to the bottom of the forum.

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - badbusdriver
Oh dear. I am sorry to say that this questionnaire is in a poorly developed and had I been supervising this student it would not go out in this state. I doubt it has been pre-tested, and wonder if any thought has been given as to desired sample size to achieve statistically valid data or how the data will be analysed. There are various problems here and I won’t go into detail. However it should have an up front statement as to the purpose and intent of the research together with an ethics statement. As noted there are questions with a 1-10 scale for the response when only 1-5 options are given. The final question asks about insurance an£ preference to purchase, but what about other influencing factors such as price? I could go on, but Kieran, you need to return to the literature on questionnaire development and review this accordingly.

Will the moderators re-visit their decision to let the questionnaire remain?

Don't see a need for mods to do anything?

The thread had already started to slide down the motoring page before MGspannerman brought it back to the top more than 48 hours after the last post. Now you've done the same after another couple of hours.

I'm assuming it has been checked for dodgy links or whatever, so it isn't causing any harm. Let nature take its course. If nobody else posts on the thread, it will slide off the bottom of the page and be forgotten.

I've just emailed the OP suggesting they might like to read some of the constructive criticism posted here.

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - Engineer Andy

I've just emailed the OP suggesting they might like to read some of the constructive criticism posted here.

Excellent idea. I'm sure Backroomers would be happy to redo their answers if the questionnaire was revised to help give a more accurate and comprehensive result. After all, the OP is at college to learn, and that includes taking note of constructive criticism or their work to improve.

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - FP

To judge from replies from the mods I think the issue is being handled appropriately. I don't believe it's for us to police the quality of academic material by effectively blocking something we and/or the mods think is substandard.

Even policing the quality of posts themselves is always going to be controversial.

A modified version of the questionnaire is now available if people wish to give it another go.

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - Big John

Filled in...

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - RT

Done and submitted

Still can't submit.

Q9, if you find nothing attractive about EVs, i don't, you can't submit the form.

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - NickosWirral

Same. Tried to fill in, but I find nothing attractive about owning an EV as things stand today.

I imagine the data captured will suffer from a fair bit of skew.

Same. Tried to fill in, but I find nothing attractive about owning an EV as things stand today.

I imagine the data captured will suffer from a fair bit of skew.

Quite, a similar thing happens with opinion polls etc where those providing the poll can hedge the results in the direction wheover paid for it would like.

We'll have our own more important (but which won't make a sc*** of difference either) opinion poll later in the year, called a general election, that'll be another one that really needs a 'none of the above'' box to tick...a NONA win should immediately disqualify all applicants on the ballot from standing in the re-run :-)

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - John F

If it had been removed I would've missed it! No problem doing it - took considerably less than 5mins. Not sure how it would help much with its stated aim of EV/ICE comparison, though.

EV Purchase Questionnaire for University Dissertat - leaseman

Good morning folk.

The following was first posted by the Late Avant in 2010 and edited by Xileno in 2021 and appears at the top of Forums.

If your recent posting has been deleted, please re-read the following and that should explain why.

"Can we please be careful not to criticise other people's spelling and grammar. Some posters may be actually dyslexic and not be able to avoid errors - yet those same people may have much to offer us in terms of relevant expertise.

There are times when this sort of thing matters - indeed I gave a lecture on effective writing to some of my firm's trainees this very morning, saying how vital correctness and clarity are in business communications - but an informal forum isn't one of those times.

If we think of someone's post as an E-mail from a friend, or even a conversation in a pub, we wouldn't correct their English. So let's take people as they are."

Edited by leaseman on 30/01/2024 at 09:33