How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - Random

We have some mould growing on a bathroom stippled artex celing. Ideally I'd prefer a non bleach method for removal. Does anyone have any tips/recommendations/experience on how best to remove said mould and any suggestions for paint to help prevent return? The window does have a ventilator slot that's left open all year round.

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - badbusdriver

The most effective product I've ever used for mould removal is HG mould spray. I suspect (not sure) that probably has bleach in it though. Just spray it on and the mould simply runs off, amazing stuff!.

IMO artex is a nightmare anyway, but especially so when you are trying to wipe or clean it. I'd get rid of it!. Doing so would not only get rid of the mould this time, but make it so much easier to deal with should it return.

I've heard HG is good - thanks.

Hate artex, might get a quote for skimming, it's just the bathroom. So can the the mould be plastered over?

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - Andrew-T

Hate artex, might get a quote for skimming, it's just the bathroom. So can the the mould be plastered over?

If you are thinking of plastering over, it would probably be best to deal with the mould first ? Would add little to the cost.

Good plan, the HG spray is inexpensive.

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - skidpan

Older Artex used to contain Asbestos so best not to disturb it. Skim OK if ceiling is sound.

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - FP

The last time I had this done (a good few years now), the plasterer knocked off any big protrusions before skimming, to minimise the depth of coat needed. I assume any plasterer doing that should check for asbestos.

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - bathtub tom

I get mould on the artex in my en-suite. Extractor fan, trickle vent and window open when showering. It keeps returning this time of year. I use a bleach chemical. I suspect it's nothing to do with the artex, but temperature and humidity. I doubt if skimming wil make any difference.

HG Foam mould remover isn't recommended for ceilings. Will check to see if their other mould remover is suitable.

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - badbusdriver

HG Foam mould remover isn't recommended for ceilings. Will check to see if their other mould remover is suitable.

Never tried (nor was I aware of) the foam, only the "normal" spray.

When we put our flat on the market about a decade ago, it was my job to clean it after we'd moved out. Quite a few patches of wall had mould showing and I'd tried a couple of supposed mould removers from the supermarket with little success. Someone recommended the HG (which I got from a well known DIY place), so I got some and used it. Honestly, it was a revelation how well it worked. Spray it on, leave it for a bit, wipe off, mould gone!.

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - alan1302

Never tried (nor was I aware of) the foam, only the "normal" spray.

When we put our flat on the market about a decade ago, it was my job to clean it after we'd moved out. Quite a few patches of wall had mould showing and I'd tried a couple of supposed mould removers from the supermarket with little success. Someone recommended the HG (which I got from a well known DIY place), so I got some and used it. Honestly, it was a revelation how well it worked. Spray it on, leave it for a bit, wipe off, mould gone!.

Another vote for the HG spray - seems to work much better than anything else. Have used the foam spray on ceilings without an issue.

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - Adampr

HG mould spray is effective, but it's essentially just bleach so it doesn't actually kill the mould (there are 'roots' under the surface ). The Dryzone two-part one seems more effective. If you are planning to skim or overboard, it's important that you kill the mould with a proper fungicide before doing so.

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - corax

We have some mould growing on a bathroom stippled artex celing. Ideally I'd prefer a non bleach method for removal. Does anyone have any tips/recommendations/experience on how best to remove said mould and any suggestions for paint to help prevent return? The window does have a ventilator slot that's left open all year round.

You could really do with an extractor fan, timed to stay on for a decent amount of time after light has been switched off. A ventilator slot won't be enough, especially if the door is closed.

Used to get mould in the bathroom before an extractor fan was installed, it's now sorted. After showering, it's also a good idea to open a window on the other side of the house with doors open for a few minutes if possible to allow fresh air to go through and push the humid air out, which will help to dry out cold walls/ceiling. Good airflow is important to stop mould, especially in winter. I know it's cold this time of year, but a couple of minutes is all that's needed, and the rooms will heat up again in no time.

Thanks to all for the info, very helpful!

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - Big John

You could really do with an extractor fan, timed to stay on for a decent amount of time after light has been switched off. A ventilator slot won't be enough, especially if the door is closed.

I strongly agree re the need for an extractor fan. I myself have a loft mounted fan assembly (Manrose MF100T - T for timer) with 100mm ducting from the bathroom and beyond the fan to an external vent. I also fitted a one way valve to avoid draughts when off. Very quiet running, low wattage power consumption but very efficient. All you hear in the bathroom is "sucking" and it's all but silent in adjacent rooms. Very useful for drying washing over the bath and I've never had a mold issue sine fitting quite a few years ago.

I originally also had stippled Artex but had it skimmed when I was tarting up the bathroom.

Edited by Big John on 09/01/2024 at 20:31

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - shauncwalsh

Buy a dehumidifier and run it after bathing or showering to get the humidity below 50%.

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - Leif

I had mould in several rooms, and when my tumble dryer went south, bought a dehum to dry the laundry. Well what do you know, running it a few hours a day prevents mould, and costs about 7p an hour, peanuts. It’s much cheaper to run than a tumble dryer, and wastes no water. I leave the bathroom door open.

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - Brit_in_Germany

If you want to avoid bleach because of the chlorine smell you could use a hydrogen peroxide based product. That can simply be left to dry.

How to remove mould from stippled artex ceiling? - TinaS

Zinsser do a paint for this situation, Permawhite. It's an American brand, manufactured here (in Newton Aycliffe, I believe) under licence for the UK market. Easily found in a decent independent decorator's supply shop. Available in matte or satin finish and can be tinted if desired. Their stain blocking 123 primer is also very good.

Edited by TinaS on 06/04/2024 at 21:18