Renault Kangoo 1.4 diesel 2012 - Van electrics went off whilst driving, engine was - Sean50000

Hi hope to get some advice please, my van battery was flat over this winter so I purchased one of those power pack jump starts from amazon. It worked and got me going. Then two weeks after I was driving and electrics went off, engine was still running I wasn't far from home so managed to get it back home even though power steering went off. Whilst this was happening all warning lights started coming on until eventually they were all on. Once I got home I turned engine off, then tried to restart it but it just made a ticking noise and wouldn't start, it has been Christmas holidays and havnt needed it so left it 3 days before looking into it. So 3 days later I tried too start van and it started first time everything working as normal so I'm confused and looking for advice on what the problem could be before driving it again. Hope someone can help me. Thanks

Renault Kangoo 1.4 diesel 2012 - Van electrics went off whilst driving, engine was - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like the alternator is not charging. Get a digital multi media and check voltage at the battery with engine running. Should be around 14 volts .
Renault Kangoo 1.4 diesel 2012 - Van electrics went off whilst driving, engine was - Sean50000

OK thanks, so this would mean new alternator needed if it's below this? I just don't understand why if it is alternator why would it start first turn of the key 3 days later?. Thanks for your reply.

Renault Kangoo 1.4 diesel 2012 - Van electrics went off whilst driving, engine was - elekie&a/c doctor
May not be the actual alternator at fault. Could be a wiring issue. Get it checked out properly.
Renault Kangoo 1.4 diesel 2012 - Van electrics went off whilst driving, engine was - bathtub tom

I just don't understand why if it is alternator why would it start first turn of the key 3 days later?. Thanks for your reply.

Because you probably completed the journey on battery power alone. The battery then had a few days to rest and probably recovered just enough to start the van.

OK thanks for your help. I will I'm trying to get an auto electrician who does home visits.

Renault Kangoo 1.4 diesel 2012 - Van electrics went off whilst driving, engine was - edlithgow

OK thanks, so this would mean new alternator needed if it's below this? I just don't understand why if it is alternator why would it start first turn of the key 3 days later?. Thanks for your reply.

Could just be a slipping belt. Or, as already suggested, a wiring issue. For the latter case you could use your digital multimeter to do voltage drop testing, which can help you locate the fault.

Re your question, er dunno. TBH I dont find the rested battery explanation very convincing, especially given its a diesel, which tend to take a bit of cranking.

OTOH the battery having been discharged long term then jump started does suggest it might not be very healthy, probably wasn't fully charged, and it might have been asking a lot of the in-car charging system.

A poor/intermittent contact could produce your symptoms though, and voltage drop testing might help you find it, though I'd check battery terminals and earth connections are clean and tight first anyway.

It used to be that a diesel (with a mechanical fuel pump) would run indefinitely while electrically stone dead but that probably isn't the case any more.

Edited by edlithgow on 03/01/2024 at 13:53