Tesla Model 3 replacemen - Wee Willie Winkie

Howdo all,

The lease on my Tesla Model 3 comes to an end in November, so I guess it's time to start looking at replacements.

I have no intention of returning to diesel power, or petrol for that matter. I appreciate EV motoring isn't for everyone, but for me it's been no trouble at all.

I think I've narrowed my options to a Skoda Enyaq Coupe Sportline, a Kia EV6 GT Line, a Fisker Ocean Sport, or to stick with what I know - a Tesla Model 3 RWD.

The Fisker particularly appeals. I got the Tesla at a time when they weren't a particularly common sight on our roads, and the Fisker is similar in terms of that, and the tech/feel. Replacing like with like also appeals, as I know what's what with Tesla and I still enjoy driving mine. The other two - I'm unsure about returning to 'legacy' manufacturers.

Hmmm. A nice decision to have to make, I suppose.

Edited by DieselBoy on 09/01/2024 at 17:29

Tesla Model 3 replacemen - movilogo

I have no intention of returning to diesel power

Interesting username :-)

Tesla Model 3 replacemen - Wee Willie Winkie

Yes, maybe I should change it!

Tesla Model 3 replacemen - Oli rag

New Tesla model 3 plus are starting to be available here. If I was in your shoes I think I’d be reluctant to move away from the Tesla charging network.

Having said that, I do like the look of the latest Hyundai kona EV.

Tesla Model 3 replacemen - movilogo

New Model 3 got rid of indicator stalk in favour of haptic buttons on steering wheels.

People complained that it is hard to press indicators during turning. Some said it works in USA without roundabouts but not in Europe.

So if going for this model please test drive properly.

Also, they have no PRND shifter - you swipe in screen to go forward or reverse.

Tesla Model 3 replacemen - Brit_in_Germany

Something Chinese? Take your pick which, e.g. BYD, MG, Polestar and shortly Huawei.

Tesla Model 3 replacemen - DavidGlos
There are some Facebook groups for the Fisker Ocean and quite a few people mumbling about the fact that a lot of the promised tech is missing. Assurances of it arriving via OTA updates in due course, but a number of frustrated users.

One chap found that his wife became locked in his Ocean and could only be released by rebooting the computer in the car. He’s now sold it!

Many manufacturers appear to do their beta testing on unsuspecting early adopters and it does sound like Fisker may have done likewise. Does look nice though. Sat in one at Westfield and it was lovely.

Edited by DavidGlos on 09/01/2024 at 20:50

Tesla Model 3 replacemen - mcb100
I’ve driven probably hundreds of Polestar 2’s, so I struggle to see past that as a Model 3 alternative.
Colleagues have worked with the BYD Seal and liked it, and I’ve got a new Renault Scenic heading my way mid-February for a month or so - happy to report in on impressions.
Does your budget stretch to a Genesis GV60?
@MCB - would be great to hear your thoughts on the Scenic when it arrives. On the face of it, this model makes a decent case as a replacement company car for me, albeit I’m around 9 months away from ordering. Spec and range seem decent and it has a heat pump as standard.
Will do. It’s due to arrive on the 12th - I’ve got it for a couple of days to play with before starting a dealer tour training sales staff at the dealerships and previewing it to customers who’ve appointed to see it.

Edited by mcb100 on 09/01/2024 at 22:13

Tesla Model 3 replacemen - Moodyman
A lot of ex-Teslarati seem to choose Polestar as an alternative as Teslas are becoming too common. It allows them to flaunt a Western badge (Volvo) whilst allowing them to enjoy the Chinese excellence in electrical vehicles.
Tesla Model 3 replacemen - John F

I was very impressed by an uber ride in a Hyundai Ioniq last year. If I were choosing an EV it would certainly be on my list of possibles.

Tesla Model 3 replacement - Wee Willie Winkie

Thanks for the replies - some food for thought there.

I haven't, as yet, seen the revised Model 3 in the flesh. In theory, I'm not too bothered by the deletion of stalks for indicators and gear selection. In reality though - who knows?! I'll have to test drive once the new model is available. Supercharging is a big plus, although I only used superchargers maybe 5 or 6 times in 2023. In addition, Supercharger V4 sites are open to any makes, along with an increasing number of V3.

I have a Fisker test drive booked for the 27th. I have to travel from Liverpool to Birmingham, though, as there's currently only 3 test drive locations for Fisker.

My budget doesn't stretch to a Genesis, unfortunately.

I have a colleague with a Polestar. Whilst I can see the appeal - and the build quality is fantastic compared to my Tesla - it is a little cramped, especially in the back. The hatch woul be useful, though. I've struggled on a couple of occasions with the boot opening on my Tesla.

Renault Scenic? Something inside is niggling and telling me a French electric car is a bad idea. I'm sure that's an out of date reaction, but it's there nonetheless. It's a nice looking beast, though - also fairly reasonably priced. A Fisker is cheaper, however!

Choices choices.

Edited by DieselBoy on 10/01/2024 at 18:06

Tesla Model 3 replacement - Adampr

Renault have got more experience than most at making electric cars.

Tesla Model 3 replacement - mcb100
‘Renault Scenic? Something inside is niggling and telling me a French electric car is a bad idea. I'm sure that's an out of date reaction, but it's there nonetheless.’

Renault have been producing EV’s as long as Tesla (low volume Roadster excluded) - Zoe and Model S were both launched in 2012.

Yes, good points well made. I shall have to have a gander at some youtube videos of the Scenic.

Little update.

I've had three test drives so far.

1. Hyundai Ioniq 6 - was meant to be a 24 hour test drive but I returned it after 5 hours. I think that says it all!

2. Fisker Ocean - lovely car. Seems to be built well and drove really well. Kids loved it, especially California mode. I can't help being put off, though, by the software bugs reported by others.

3. Tesla Model 3 - new model. Loved it. Got used to the lack of stalks quite quickly.

After driving the Tesla, I currently see no need to try anything else, if I'm being honest. Having said that, I am Mr Whimsical, so my mind may well change!

Tesla Model 3 replacement - nick62

What didn't you like about the Ioniq 6?

The motoring press all rave about them!

Edited by nick62 on 03/02/2024 at 08:56

Tesla Model 3 replacement - badbusdriver

1. Hyundai Ioniq 6 - was meant to be a 24 hour test drive but I returned it after 5 hours. I think that says it all!

Your returning the Hyundai 19 hours indicates you didn't like it, but nothing more (and nothing to help a potential buyer). I may not be in the market for one, but I'd certainly be interested to learn what was so objectionable about it to instigate the (very) early return?

1. Have to manually turn on one pedal driving every time you get in.

2. Small boot for the size of the car.

3. Lane change function very much hit or miss.

4. Laggy tech in the infotainment.

5. Some dubious quality plastics inside.

6. I was unable to set off from standing smoothly, and I found reverse to be jerky. Maybe that was just me, though.

7. As with people, personality can overcome dubious looks. Not with this car.

In short, it didn't feel to me like a £50k car. It wasn't for me. Subjective views though, so others may love it. That's why I didn't expand.

In case anyone is interested, I put an order in today for a Volkswagen ID7. £16k more expensive than a Tesla Model 3, yet over £100 a month cheaper to lease. A vast amount of toys and features to kep me happy, too. 6-9 month lead time, according to the main dealer who kindly let me out in the only ID7 they have, even though they knew they wouldn't be getting an order out of it.

Edited by DieselBoy on 14/03/2024 at 19:57

Tesla Model 3 replacement - bathtub tom

I put an order in today for a Volkswagen ID7.

they knew they wouldn't be getting an order out of it.

?

Those two phrases don't appear to be mutually compatible.

Edited by bathtub tom on 14/03/2024 at 22:20

Tesla Model 3 replacement - csgmart

I put an order in today for a Volkswagen ID7.

they knew they wouldn't be getting an order out of it.

?

Those two phrases don't appear to be mutually compatible.

The OP said he has a lease car. Presumably the replacement will also be leased and he has to order elsewhere?

The OP said he has a lease car. Presumably the replacement will also be leased and he has to order elsewhere?

Indeed that is the case.

Tesla Model 3 replacement - Brit_in_Germany

I bet you are glad you didn't opt for the Fisker.

I bet you are glad you didn't opt for the Fisker.

Oh yes!

I said, further up the thread, that I’d update on life with a Renault Scenic (due at dealers April 29th).
I’m 3 weeks and 3000 miles in, and about 10 days until it gets collected again.
I don’t say this about everything, but I’ll be sorry to see it go. It’s very comfortable, quiet, refined and efficient. Rear legroom is pretty generous - I’ve sat a chap of 6’9” behind one of 6’3” and both had room to spare.
The Solarbay roof is very good - goes from transparent to opaque with a voice command.
I’d definitely recommend for anyone seeking an electric family car.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts mcb.

That’s a decent mileage to cover in three weeks! Any comments on range and how it matches the quoted figures from Renault?

Seen a few reports on YouTube following the European launch and it certainly gets good feedback and is a likely candidate to replace my current company car later this year.

Any negatives from your perspective?
It’s good for a 230 mile motorway run without a stop, and should be a 300 mile car with mixed driving conditions (WLTP is up to 379, dependant on trim level).
Very little to grumble about, even from this pre-production (one of only 12 RHD Scenics in the world) car.
I’d like it to come to a full stop when using maximum regeneration, but that’s a personal choice.
Some good new tech - cruise control will read Google Maps and slow the car for roundabouts and bends, when enabled, and will also set the cruise speed to the current speed limit automatically.
Android Automotive operating system (as opposed at the commonly used Android Auto) is intuitive and straightforward, allowing access to Google. Good for watching TV, YouTube or films whilst parked up.
Dealers will have demonstrators at the end of April, with customer cars being delivered in Q3.