Ford Focus 2007 - Front wheel bearings - Xileno

The old Focus has been making a grinding and droning noise from the offside front, I think the long Christmas drive finished it off. I've been quoted £445 for both front wheel bearings (I work on the basis the other side won't be far behind). This is a local independent garage and the FAG bearing kits are £80 each.

I'm happy to pay the going rate but don't like being done. Seems a bit steep to me but I'm probably out of touch!

Any thoughts?

Edited by Xileno on 10/01/2024 at 20:37

Ford Focus 2007 - Front wheel bearings - elekie&a/c doctor
Front hub and bearings about £80 for both . Less than 2 hours work for the whole job . Absolute £250 maximum, job done .
Ford Focus 2007 - Front wheel bearings - paul 1963

Where abouts in the country are you Xileno? As I've mentioned before I work for a major motor factors, one of the pros is that I get parts at 'cost' , just got a service kit for my sons Aygo ( all the filters plus sump plug etc) for £13! I'd be happy to get a price for a pair of bearing kits, got a idea they come pre-fitted in new hubs?

Email me your reg and I'll get back to you.

Paul

Looks like the Doc beat me to it! Agree 80 each is very steep...

Edited by paul 1963 on 10/01/2024 at 21:20

Thanks both. Yes I thought it a bit steep. I was expecting the price to start with 3 not a 4. I think I will take the car to my usual garage, I tried somewhere new and more convenient this time as my usual place is always so busy, their workshop is usually booked three weeks ahead, sometimes more. Thanks Paul I will email you.

Ford Focus 2007 - Front wheel bearings - gordonbennet

Before you go ahead changing the bearings, has someone jacked the car up and checked brakes etc first?

Also, tyres, with the winter set on the Forester the drone the tread pattern sets up sounds like a wheel bearing failing, been like this all the years we've had it, when the summer set go back on the noise vanishes.

No it's not been on a ramp yet. I'm sure it's a bearing, there's a grinding noise as well as a drone. It might be the driveshaft of course. It gets better when steering right which makes me think it's the offside.

It does need professional diagnosis though rather than my assumption!

I can relate to your tyre drone though. I had that on the car at about 20k miles on the rear. That turned out to be a tyre but it was in summer time.

Ford Focus 2007 - Front wheel bearings - gordonbennet

It gets better when steering right which makes me think it's the offside.

We assumed that once on a fiends Pueg 305, changed what sounded like the correct one only to find the sound still there, it proved to be the inner race the other side.

Ford Focus 2007 - Front wheel bearings - paul 1963

Xileno, I can get them for £31.85 each with the vat, I'll email you later incase you don't read this, brand will be Borg &Beck.

Hope that helps?

Ford Focus 2007 - Front wheel bearings - elekie&a/c doctor
Excellent price, but I’d check with the garage first . Many won’t fit customers supplied parts .

Thanks Paul, I really appreciate your time obtaining the prices.

I've decided to get the car to my usual garage for a professional assessment and a price. Hopefully they will be a bit more competitive. I may also do just the one bearing for now - assuming it is the bearing (I'm confident it is). The problem is they're always so busy but I suppose that's a good sign. Also now my annual trip to London is over, I will only be pottering around locally so hopefully the car will be ok for that.

Ford Focus 2007 - Front wheel bearings - galileo

Way back in 1966, approaching a roundabout, I felt a thump as if I'd run over a stone or thick twig, braked and the pedal went to the floor with no effect: not going too fast so got round the roundabout and stopped gradually with the handbrake.

The nearside front wheel bearing had collapsed allowing the wheel to move enough that the shoes were out of the drum and the brake fluid was gone!

Ford Focus 2007 - Front wheel bearings - expat

When I had a wheel bearing go way back in 71 it had welded itself to the stub axle and that needed replaced also.