battery life - Doc

Is it best to keep a battery on smart charge when the car is not in use to prolong the life, or is it better to just use the vehicle and cycle the normal charge/run down process?

In other words, do lead-acid batteries benefit from being worked?

battery life - RT

Conventional lead-acid batteries have a design life, eg 500 cycles at 50% Depth of Discharge (DoD) - this approximates to linear so 1000 cycles at 25% DoD - lead-acid batteries with deteriorate even when used slowly and will benefit from constant use of a smart charger which will drop to float voltage or around 13.8v for a 12v lead-acid battery.

battery life - Andrew-T

I'm no battery expert, but a charged battery is probably 'better' than a depleted one. But a battery's life can be a toss-up - some give up after a few years, others (like the original in my car) do 12 years or more starting a diesel engine.

battery life - Bromptonaut

Ours in the Berlingo lasted ten years and only gave up the ghost after being totally discharged for an extended period. Similar with the previous 'lingo where it only failed after some other fault interfered with it.

I wouldn't bother messing around with smart chargers unless I was leaving the car parked up for weeks.

battery life - elekie&a/c doctor
I’ve got a 21year old bmw cabriolet that doesn’t get used very often. I’m using a low output maintenance charger permanently connected and switches on for about 4 hours a day through a timer . Modern batteries don’t like to be run flat .
battery life - skidpan

The lead/acid battery on the Caterham only gets used about 7 months a year and historically one has never lasted much longer than 6 years. Have always taken the battery off and kept it indoors (currently in the downstairs bathroom) and charged it every 6 weeks approx. with my old Gunsons charger (bought in the 80's for Gel filled racing batteries) until the current drops right down.

Bought a Ring "Intelligent" charger early in 2020 (it does all battery types including EFB, GEL and AGM) and use that now, goes through all sorts of checks for sulphation etc before charging and when its charged its literally says "FUL" on the display (think that proves the designer was not English).

Will be interesting to see how long this battery does last.

battery life - Dave N
The 2 batteries on my Landcruiser are 16 years old now, and still work perfectly. They’ve been on a Ctek charger 24/7 for the whole or their lives.
battery life - John F

In other words, do lead-acid batteries benefit from being worked?

I think not. On a rarely used car (e.g. my TR7 - a few hundred miles a year) it's best to keep it disconnected. No hassle apart from opening and closing the bonnet, no spanner needed, finger tight attachment of terminal is sufficient. The last battery lasted 14yrs.

My Audi is only used around 4x a month. Since its last expensive battery failed soon after its 5yr guarantee, I've kept a battery charger in the boot where the battery is conveniently located, plugged into a weekly time clock - on 4hrs a day on Mon Wed & Fri.

battery life - kiss (keep it simple)

Lead acid batteries like to be kept at full charge if possible. Repeated discharging will shorten their life. This is most pronounced with starting batteries. The reason batteries can last so long is partly because modern cars generally start much more easily and the batteries are much heftier than they used to be. For example, the factory fitted battery for my 2 litre Cavalier was 44Ah, whereas our 1.4 Polo has a 60Ah version.

battery life - madf

Lead acid batteries like to be kept at full charge if possible. Repeated discharging will shorten their life. This is most pronounced with starting batteries. The reason batteries can last so long is partly because modern cars generally start much more easily and the batteries are much heftier than they used to be. For example, the factory fitted battery for my 2 litre Cavalier was 44Ah, whereas our 1.4 Polo has a 60Ah version.

My 2012 Honda Jazz has a 40AH battery. The original lasted 9 years.

Our 2003 Toyota Yaris d4d has a similar life.

It's not about size: it's more design and build quality. Lion Batteries are pants lasting little longer than the 1 year warranty.

battery life - RT

It's not about size: it's more design and build quality. Lion Batteries are pants lasting little longer than the 1 year warranty.

I suspect it's more about how they're looked after - a few years back I bought a 2011 Citroen C1 which has a tiny battery, according to the receipts the OE battery had been replaced in 2016 with a Lion battery - that Lion battery was still going strong when I sold the car in 2023, so 7 years old and counting.

I've had an OE Panasonic fail after 18 months so brand name is no real indicator of life/reliability.

battery life - Engineer Andy

I suspect it's more about how they're looked after - a few years back I bought a 2011 Citroen C1 which has a tiny battery, according to the receipts the OE battery had been replaced in 2016 with a Lion battery - that Lion battery was still going strong when I sold the car in 2023, so 7 years old and counting.

I've had an OE Panasonic fail after 18 months so brand name is no real indicator of life/reliability.

Sometimes there appears to be no rhyme or reason. On my 2005 Mazda3 1.6 petrol, all my batteries (from when I essentially bought the car brand new) have lasted 4-5 years (all OEMs) but on a wide variety of usage patterns - sometimes periods of very little use, others a reasonable amount, but never just mainly short trips from cold. No electrical items (I checked for the boot light etc) on all the time by mistake AFAIK.

On the other side, my parent's previous 08 plate Fiesta 1.25 had exactly that sort of usage being mostly an in-town shopping car with occasional trips 8 miles away, a handful of trips per year up to 50 miles and one to Southampton for cruise ship holidays. Their OEM battery lasted from 2008 - around the end of 2020 if I recall.

II suppose it could be that Mazda OEM batteries are either duff or specced to low a capacity, or that Fords are generous and better quality, but given both cars were made during the Ford-Mazda tie-up period, I wouldn't be surprised if they both used the same supplier and re-badged them. Maybe Ford were more conservative with the spec they fitted.

My car currently has a Bosch battery fitted (by the RAC) when the previous one failed just after the end of the first lockdown in 2020. It is about 20-25% higher rated than the OEM and has never (touch wood) given any problems, even in very cold weather like now or when laid up for a while.

Oddly enough, at the first service after it was fitted (5 months) and every one since, the dealership has carried out a battery 'health check' and it 'failed' on condition. Funny, that.

battery life - London calling

My wife’s Mazda 2 had a Lion battery fitted 5 years ago and still ok, also noted that local suppliers provide a 3 year guarantee for Lion batteries..

battery life - Halmerend
The Marinelli battery on my Fiat Mirafiori was 10 years old when I sc***ped it in the 80s. If only Fiat could make cars like Marinelli made batteries. Apologies for any typos!