Skoda yeti 1.2 2012 - Oil pump drive chain? - wooliewoo

Been quoted £900 + labour to fix and replace the oil pump drive chain. Does this seem right?

car has a history of a small leek, too expensive to repair, so kept oil levels topped up and its been fine for years.

new clutch and gearbox in 2019

Yesterday, accelerated to about 60mph, red oil light beeped and flashing, restricted power, smoke from bonnet and noise like a bag of spanners! Pulled of the road and recovered home.

Any advice welcome

Skoda yeti 1.2 2012 - Oil pump drive chain? - Dave N
If the chain has broken, the whole engine is now broken.
Skoda yeti 1.2 2012 - Oil pump drive chain? - wooliewoo

Thank you, that unfortunately was the reply I was dreading! And I’m presuming a new engine comes with a cost more than the card worth? And I presume could come with its own issues?

Skoda yeti 1.2 2012 - Oil pump drive chain? - elekie&a/c doctor
The engine is toast . It’s the main timing chain that’s broken. Common on this engine . Not worth repairs.
Skoda yeti 1.2 2012 - Oil pump drive chain? - Andrew-T

Accepting this diagnosis, and you are thinking of keeping the car, a reconditioned engine is the only answer, perhaps with your earlier clutch etc. Sc***ping it and getting another would probably cost more, but maybe not a lot more ?

Skoda yeti 1.2 2012 - Oil pump drive chain? - Big John

I think there are two chains in this engine. 1) the cam chain 2) a separate chain operating the oil pump which must have failed - red light and beeping means no oil pressure.

Running for some time afterwards with no oil pressure not great re engine bearings and timing chain tensioner. Ie engine probably still toast.

The Yeti is still a popular car with some value so I'd suggest a used replacement or reconditioned engine.

Edited by Big John on 15/01/2024 at 20:28