n/a - New car gadgets - galileo

Today I have an i20 courtesy car from my excellent Hyundai dealer wile they fix my aged i30.

This new i20 is quiet and comfortable but i would honestly rather have a 1960s mark 3 Zephyr for the following reasons which I could not live with.

I assume all new cars have the same features (except maybe basic Dacia?)

Keyless push button start (many Kia/Hyundai reputedly stolen in the USA by hackers).

Start/stop feature (works perfectly now but pointless in my opinion, durability?)

Lane guidance not intolerable but I don't need or want it.

Irritating beep if you exceed the speed limit. Don't need or want it.

Never got close to anything to trigger AE braking but it did briefly beep as a bin liner blew across in front of me, didn't actually brake as the 'obstacle' cleared.

Dash display persistently telling me to change up (no doubt programmed to meet claimed emissions/mpg)

I have driven dozens of cars, vans and forklift trucks over the last 60 - odd years, this feature really gets on my nerves because this 1.0 turbo engine feels gutless until the turbo kicks in, so in urban driving feels less flexible than my 1.4 n/a unit. (When the power comes in, it does pick up rapidly and goes well)

Is it just me, did we ever ask for all this stuff, which must add thousands to the price?

n/a - New car gadgets - bathtub tom

My current car's got 'nag' gearchange lights - I largely ignore them, however, SWMBO now doesn't chug round corners at 15MPH in fifth.

n/a - New car gadgets - Adampr

We didn't ask for it, but EuroNCAP asked for the 'safety' stuff and growing carbon emissions necessitated the 'eco' stuff. As for the speed bell; clearly you do need it as you wouldn't have discovered it if you stayed within the speed limit :)

n/a - New car gadgets - badbusdriver

I assume all new cars have the same features (except maybe basic Dacia?)

Keyless push button start (many Kia/Hyundai reputedly stolen in the USA by hackers).

Our fairly high spec Hyundai Bayon doesn't have keyless entry. So while fairly common (our last two cars had it), certainly not all

Start/stop feature (works perfectly now but pointless in my opinion, durability?)

Presumably the stop start is working perfectly because your courtesy car (like our Bayon) is a mild hybrid. As you think stop start is pointless, I'd have to assume you think air pollution is a figment of the governments imagination?. After all, why else would you be happy for many hundreds of thousands of cars sitting stationary in traffic with their engines running (that really is pointless)

Lane guidance not intolerable but I don't need or want it.

Not all cars have lane avoidance, but I'm pretty sure on those that do, the system can be switched off. This is the case with our Bayon, though it defaults to on every time the car is started.

Irritating beep if you exceed the speed limit. Don't need or want it.

Our Bayon doesn't beep, but it will flash the speed limit on the dash a few times. Given that, I'd imagine the beep could be disabled.

Never got close to anything to trigger AE braking but it did briefly beep as a bin liner blew across in front of me, didn't actually brake as the 'obstacle' cleared.

Fair enough, in my experience, these are too keen to intervene. However, not all drivers pay as much attention to the road as they should, so overall I think it is better for cars to have them than to not.

Dash display persistently telling me to change up (no doubt programmed to meet claimed emissions/mpg)

Our Bayon is an auto!.

I have driven dozens of cars, vans and forklift trucks over the last 60 - odd years, this feature really gets on my nerves because this 1.0 turbo engine feels gutless until the turbo kicks in, so in urban driving feels less flexible than my 1.4 n/a unit. (When the power comes in, it does pick up rapidly and goes well)

Peak torque on a MK3 Zephyr 6 is 180nm at 2400 rpm. Peak torque on the 3 cyl 1.0 turbo Hyundai engine is 172nm from 1500-4000rpm, and that applies to both 100 and 120bhp versions of the engine.

Peak torque on a MK3 Zephyr 6 is 180nm at 2400 rpm. Peak torque on the 3 cyl 1.0 turbo Hyundai engine is 172nm from 1500-4000rpm, and that applies to both 100 and 120bhp versions of the engine.

Torque is one factor, gear ratios and vehicle weight are also significant.

I doubt that a Zephyr weighs much more than a current i20, overall gear ratio of the Zephyr on smaller wheels was much lower. (25 mph/1000 rpm in top)

I specifically said the i20 felt inflexible in urban traffic, on part throttle, peak torque implies foot down acceleration, doesn't it?

Torque is one factor, gear ratios and vehicle weight are also significant.

I doubt that a Zephyr weighs much more than a current i20, overall gear ratio of the Zephyr on smaller wheels was much lower. (25 mph/1000 rpm in top)

I specifically said the i20 felt inflexible in urban traffic, on part throttle, peak torque implies foot down acceleration, doesn't it?

A 4 cyl Zephyr is about the same kerb weight as the i20, a Zephyr 6 is about 150kg more.

But having a high peak torque means more torque on part throttle, you surely can't have one without the other?.

I did test drive a manual Bayon before ordering ours. Don't recall whether it was the 100 or 120bhp version, but I didn't find a problem with its power delivery over the 5 miles or so we did. And that was all in 30 and 40mph speed limit areas.

Duplicate post

Edited by galileo on 23/01/2024 at 13:26

n/a - New car gadgets - elekie&a/c doctor
With most current cars , you need the pilot pre flight check list to turn things on and off before you drive away , including “doors to manual “ .
n/a - New car gadgets - Terry W

Road test from 1962 for a Zephyr 4 - times have changed. Weight is 1155kg - no crumple zones, window and seat motors, etc. Top speed 76mph (automatic). 0-60 about 25 seconds (auto). Fuel consumption 23mpg.

Ford Zephyr 4 Road Test 1962 | Flickr

It may have charm and on a sunny Sunday at a classic car show would be delightful. As a daily driver - not a chance.

A lot of the tech going into current cars is, I suspect, preparatory for autonomous vehicles. It is expensive to develop reliable systems, but manufacturing costs are fairly low.

Basic tech building blocks of modern car systems - a webcam (£20?), security light with sensor (£20?), laser measure £25?) Electric power steering, ABS braking, engine management systems all make car control relatively straightforward.

n/a - New car gadgets - Andrew-T

<< As you think stop start is pointless, I'd have to assume you think air pollution is a figment of the government's imagination?.>>

Perhaps 'pointless' is not the right word, but it is another example of authority forcing thoughtless people to obey some rule which, if thinking, they could easily do for themselves. But unless the stop is unusually long, the emissions saved must be truly marginal, as some energy has to be returned to the battery to compensate for restarting the engine ? I suspect a good deal of it is for makers to score brownie points.

<< However, not all drivers pay as much attention to the road as they should, so overall I think it is better for cars to have them than to not. >>

And maybe this gadget will encourage those drivers to pay even less attention ?

<< As you think stop start is pointless, I'd have to assume you think air pollution is a figment of the government's imagination?.>>

Perhaps 'pointless' is not the right word, but it is another example of authority forcing thoughtless people to obey some rule which, if thinking, they could easily do for themselves. But unless the stop is unusually long, the emissions saved must be truly marginal, as some energy has to be returned to the battery to compensate for restarting the engine ? I suspect a good deal of it is for makers to score brownie points.

Yes, you could switch the car off, but if you spend a lot of time in stop start traffic, a normal battery will soon be knackered. Marginal gains?, yes, looked at for each car. But looked at for all/most cars, ultimately lots of little savings add up to big savings.

In the case of the early stop start systems, they didn't work very quickly and required an expensive battery specifically to do it. Even then, battery failures are not unusual. The system in the OP's courtesy car, in our Bayon, and in most modern cars (which aren't full hybrid) is done by the mild hybrid system rather than the actual car battery. They work properly, starting the car the instant your foot is lifted from the brake pedal and recharge themselves as the car drives.

Manufacturers get huge fines for exceeding what is decreed as an acceptable fleet average (that is to say, all the cars made by the manufacturer) emissions. mild hybrid systems are a relatively inexpensive means to lower that fleet average. So not so much about scoring brownie points as saving themselves money they'd otherwise be fined.

<< However, not all drivers pay as much attention to the road as they should, so overall I think it is better for cars to have them than to not. >>

And maybe this gadget will encourage those drivers to pay even less attention ?

Yes, it is a slippery slope. And that is the main reason I am not as against self driving cars as some forum members. Some people simply shouldn't be allowed on the road, but for whatever reason, they have a license and are!.

Some people simply shouldn't be allowed on the road, but for whatever reason, they have a license

Not always!

n/a - New car gadgets - NickosWirral

It's thoroughly infuriating. In a previous Qashqai we had, I think we took it back to the dealer six times for repair. Every repair was to a pointless fangled gadget we never asked for, nor derived value from.

n/a - New car gadgets - corax

It's thoroughly infuriating. In a previous Qashqai we had, I think we took it back to the dealer six times for repair. Every repair was to a pointless fangled gadget we never asked for, nor derived value from.

It's a strange thing that the cars traditionally thought of as having electrical glitches (Citroen, Peugeot, Renault) also seem to have the most technology loaded into them these days. I wonder if the French get the option of simple, uncluttered models with steel wheels and manual heating controls where we get the top of the range models because UK marketing have decided that's what we want/need. And even if the French did have the hi spec models, it would probably cost half as much to repair them over there?

n/a - New car gadgets - gordonbennet

If we're missing older cars that were just wonderful in their day, i offer my '69 Vauxhall Ventora, which was basically an FD Victor with the 3.3 6 pot lump from the Cresta under the bonnet.

4 speed box overdrive, in overdrive it would pull seamlessly from 10mph through to the 110mph which the fastest i ever took it, most journeys could be completed in top gear just using the overdrive switch to aid speeds below 10mph.

There have been so many cars that people raved about over the years that just left me disappointed, pool car Mondeos and Focus with the Diesel lump, utterly horrible to drive, prone to stalling unless you gave them heaps of throttle and about 1000rpm of useful torque band before you needed to find another gear then another, boneshaker ride to boot, but all i read in places like thisat the time was how well they handled (did people say that just to be in tune with the motoring hacks?), every time i was so happy to get back in whichever old large engined bus i happened to own at the time.

I feel the same as Galileo, i don't want all the faff, just like so many others here have covered millions of miles without any of this nanny stuff, just one of the many reasons we keep running our old cars, its a bonus that doing so annoys all the right people :-)

n/a - New car gadgets - Big John

4 speed box overdrive, in overdrive it would pull seamlessly from 10mph through to the 110mph which the fastest i ever took it, most journeys could be completed in top gear just using the overdrive switch to aid speeds below 10mph.

My Dad used to drive his mkIV Zodiac 3.0 v6 using 3 and 4 gears + Overdrive usable in both those gears. Saying that it had a thirst for clutches (which I had to change by then) and an even bigger thirst for petrol - it usually did late teens mpg on a run and frequently single figures around town.

Re the original thread Mrs BJ very anti modern tech especially touch screen operating basic functions. Even my old poverty spec Superb has stop/start and the dreaded gear change nag indicator that she really hates. Time to buy a Cortina?????

Edited by Big John on 23/01/2024 at 18:46

n/a - New car gadgets - groaver

If we're missing older cars that were just wonderful in their day, i offer my '69 Vauxhall Ventora, which was basically an FD Victor with the 3.3 6 pot lump from the Cresta under the bonnet.

Not as far back but my favourite engine for flexibility was the 8v 2.0 by VW in my mk 1 SEAT Toledo.

It really flattered my average driving style.

Far nicer and more flexible than the 2.0 diesel in another VAG product I had.

n/a - New car gadgets - John F

If we're missing older cars that were just wonderful in their day, i offer my ...

....father's Rover 105S, aka 'the poor man's Bentley'. The pre 1965 70mph limit hand book had the then unremarkable but now amazing instruction - 'for sustained speeds above 90mph inflate the tyres by an extra 4psi.' But by 1967 it was rusty and drank oil. I remember driving it to Cornwall with some friends where we were grateful for a gadget now missing from all modern cars - a starting handle.

Edited by John F on 24/01/2024 at 16:50

Focus with the Diesel lump, utterly horrible to drive, prone to stalling unless you gave them heaps of throttle and about 1000rpm of useful torque band before you needed to find another gear then another, boneshaker ride to boot, but all i read in places like thisat the time was how well they handled (did people say that just to be in tune with the motoring hacks?),

My Focus diesel was a joy after the N/A Maestro, certainly a very limited, useful rev range, but a very good punch for overtaking. I found the handling OK, but not a patch on the Almera that replaced it. Did I just have a poorly handling Focus, it certainly was no better than the Maestro and the Almera knocked it into a cocked hat?

n/a - New car gadgets - Engineer Andy

Indeed. My 80yo dad has been proverbially doing his nut over all the (unwanted) gadgets and gizmos on his 2020 Fiesta that replaced a 2008 one with little in that regard. But then he is rather a technophobe and doesn't like change (even when he was my age).

I did wonder why he bought one and that was an upper spec (Titanium X 125PS) model - he doesn't like it has 6 forward gears and always runs one gear lower than the car 'wants' (with its recommended gear to be in indicator).

I was hoping to show him something 'in the middle' by way of a (current model) Mazda2 1.5 (75PS) SE, where that has actually perfectly ok performance (better than his old 1.25 Fiesta by 1 - 1.5 sec to 60) but has not much gadgetry, 5 forward gears and no 'tablet-like' ICE/satnav (no satnav at all, actually, just a CD-Radio, which is all he wants).

Sadly, the courtesy car I had ordered when my aged Mazda3 was in for its major repair the other week suddenly was fixed in time for what I had need for it, so I never got to show him the other car.

I suspect he's not alone in wanting something basic that is nippy enough and reliable, especially when there's less gadgetry to go wrong.

n/a - New car gadgets - groaver

Today I have an i20 courtesy car from my excellent Hyundai dealer wile they fix my aged i30.

This new i20 is quiet and comfortable

I thought similar in the i30 1.0 T that I drove for a week recently.

6th to 3rd was used on one occasion to maintain speed on a large incline.

I have the analogy of anabolic steroids in a sprinterin my mind when thinking about this engine's performance on and off boost.

n/a - New car gadgets - DavidGlos
My folks are fairly advanced in years now. They’ve had their current 2018 Fiesta for around 4 years now and specifically went for a Zetec spec to avoid what they perceived to be the fripperies of the Titanium. My Dad is pretty pleased to have avoided keyless entry, climate control and low profile tyres which he believes (probably quite correctly!) to be noisy, expensive to replace, prone to punctures and blowouts, all whilst delivering a hard ride!

It does have six gears, although my Mum appears to be unaware of this and sticks with 5th when on faster roads!