Land Rover Discovery Sport - New engine fitted, after a day engine light is on - Mco
Hi, we have been having issues with our discovery sport 17plate. We bought it in 2020 and within 2months the turbo changer needed changing. This was resolved and since it was in warranty we didn’t have to pay.

Forward 3years and our car goes into limp mode after multiple calls to our local hatfields jaguar Land Rover dealership (not where we purchased the car) for about 6-8 weeks and got no answer or reply. My husband drives the car there to have it checked, after a lot of back and forth over days they finally check the car and inform us that the timing chains need replacing, they are not completely happy with the compression in the engine so we would likely have to change that too with the turbo charger resulting in a £9300 cost as we are no longer in warranty. We were given the option that we could change just the timing chains at a cost of £3500, but if in fact the engine should have to be changed it would now cost us the £9300 on top of just changing the timing chain so in total this would have been £12,800. We chose do change everything rather than the additional cost as it seemed we would face due to their advice about the compression in the engine. We were advised parts order and repairs would be somewhere between 3-3.5weeks after payment was made and we were given a date of 4th December. During the whole time we are in a hire car payed for by ourselves and on the 3rd of December we received a call telling us our parts have not arrived. Long story short we now get the car back December 28th after the want to do “thorough checks”. Because of the delays hatfields filed a claim with jaguar Land Rover for compensation towards our hire car and we received around 60-70% of the costs back.

So after paying £9300 for the repairs, a day after getting the car back the engine light came back on. They sent an engineer to the house to check it over, he said it was the DPF clogged and he done what was needed now the light is off.

The next day driving the car the light was back on again. They are now saying we need to replace the DPF system and EGL cooler costing £2500 saying “This unfortunately seems to be defective as a consequence of the failed engine which has now been replaced.”.

Articles I’ve found online seem to show that DPF could cause engine failure but I’m not seeing this the other way round.

Should this not have been picked up on prior to the engine repair?

I won’t even go into the customer service side of things as we are highly disappointed with hatfields Liverpool

Edited by Mco on 24/01/2024 at 10:53

Land Rover Discovery Sport - New engine fitted, after a day engine light is on - elekie&a/c doctor
Unfortunately, the ingenium engine fitted to your vehicle has proved to be one of the most unreliable motors on the market . Timing chains, egr faults and dpf issues are all too common. It’s unlikely the dpf faults have been caused by the engine failure. Even if you get all these items fixed , there’s no guarantee that nothing else will go wrong.