VW - Excess for not using approved repairer - Snoopysmutt

My wife was involved in a no-fault accident as a named driver on my car insurance. I decided to get the car repaired by an accreditted VW repair shop that was not on the insurance company's approved list. I was willing to pay the non approved excess for this. The insurance company said that the dash cam footage from my car was conclusive that the third party was at fault and initially said that I would NOT have to pay the compulsory or voluntary excesses, however when they realised that I had not used their repair shop they then said I would have to pay ALL excesses and claim back from the third party insurer. Surely this is immoral? Thoughts?

VW - Excess for not using approved repairer - Falkirk Bairn

The 3rd party insurer will pay out the excess IMHO

VW - Excess for not using approved repairer - bathtub tom

"said that I would NOT have to pay the compulsory or voluntary excesses"

You have that in writing?

"said that I would NOT have to pay the compulsory or voluntary excesses"

You have that in writing?

No but I took of the note of the date, time and agent's name who informed me of this during a phone conversation.

The point is, if I had used one of their approved repairers my excesses payments would be waived but its feels like I am being 'punished' for using a body shop of my choise and the onus is now on me to recover my losses from the third party!

VW - Excess for not using approved repairer - skidpan

The point is, if I had used one of their approved repairers my excesses payments would be waived but its feels like I am being 'punished' for using a body shop of my choise and the onus is now on me to recover my losses from the third party!

It clearly states that the excess is higher for non approved repairers in my T & C's, did you read yours? You made the choice to use a non-approved repairer so how can you possibly moan about it?

Use your Uninsured Loss cover (if you have any) to claim the Excess back, will take a while but its worth the wait.

VW - Excess for not using approved repairer - RT

My insurance has the same excess whether I use an approved repairer or not - when I claimed for a wing mirror taken off by a truck I eventually received a cheque for the excess from my insurer, presumably as they'd been paid by the third-party insurer.

The OP should check with his insurer if this will happen - as this will also restore his no claims history..

It clearly states that the excess is higher for non approved repairers in my T & C's, did you read yours? You made the choice to use a non-approved repairer so how can you possibly moan about it?

Use your Uninsured Loss cover (if you have any) to claim the Excess back, will take a while but its worth the wait.

Yes I was quite prepared to pay the excess for not using their approved body shop but as a result I am having to claim back my compulsory and voluntary losses through a legal procedure, whereas if I had used the insurance companies repairer it would all be done and dusted. Four months down the line and I'm still fighting.

VW - Excess for not using approved repairer - daveyjp

It comes down to which insurance company pays the invoice from the bodyshop.

If its your insurance company they will want the excess payment and will claim it back from the third party, if successful they will then remiburse you,

If the third party insurer accepted liability, accepted the repair quote and agreed to be invoiced directly you will have nothing to pay.

VW - Excess for not using approved repairer - gordonbennet

From other's (hopefully stays that way :-) experiences, it seems the swiftest resolve to a non fault claim is to go directly to the third party insurer, assuming of course that their client has told them the truth.

If you give them the chance to avoid accident management and credit hire sharks they will move heaven and earth to sort the job out switfly and at no cost and minimal inconvenience to the non fault party.

Obviously this can't always happen, but it has to be the best method for all concerned to mitigate overall losses.

VW - Excess for not using approved repairer - RT

From other's (hopefully stays that way :-) experiences, it seems the swiftest resolve to a non fault claim is to go directly to the third party insurer, assuming of course that their client has told them the truth.

If you give them the chance to avoid accident management and credit hire sharks they will move heaven and earth to sort the job out switfly and at no cost and minimal inconvenience to the non fault party.

Obviously this can't always happen, but it has to be the best method for all concerned to mitigate overall losses.

I tried that when a truck took my VW Touareg's door mirror off, got a quote from my local dealer and sent it direct but the prevaricated for several weeks - I lost patience and gave them an ultimatum which they ignored so I went through VW Ensurance who got the repair done and hired me a M-B GLE as a like-for-like hire car - the total bill was probably double with the hire car than the quote I got for them - but they had their chance.

VW - Excess for not using approved repairer - gordonbennet

I tried that when a truck took my VW Touareg's door mirror off, got a quote from my local dealer and sent it direct but the prevaricated for several weeks - I lost patience and gave them an ultimatum which they ignored so I went through VW Ensurance who got the repair done and hired me a M-B GLE as a like-for-like hire car - the total bill was probably double with the hire car than the quote I got for them - but they had their chance.

I suspect you were dealing not with the truck owner's insurance but the accident management company the operator has paid to 'manage' such things for them (not especially well it often turns out), which from what i'm seeing only serves to see longer delays than should be with vehicles off the road for months instead of days. before anyone gets their act together.

The third party's own insurer should have ripped your arm off, but even before that the sensible truck operator should have settled this claim out of their own funds, unfortunately once operators reach a certain size various depts get involved and instead of one person acting quickly sensibly to mitigate costs all emphaisis is put into disciplining the hapless driver...boxes ticked and non jobs justifed, praise be.