Distance selling regulations - Huyea

If a car is bought off premises, online from a dealership on finance but finance is fully paid a few days later, can the car still be given back under the 14 day cooling off period. Would it be the dealer who should accept the rejection of the car or the finance company

Distance selling regulations - leaseman

For clarity, we need more facts about the transaction:

Are you a private buyer or operating a business which acquired the car?

Is the car new or used and how much did you pay for it?

How much did you borrow from the Finance Company?

Did you visit the supplier of the car before committing to the transaction?

What is the date of the delivery of the car to you?

Why do you want to return the car? e.g. Is there something with it? Was it mis-described? or have you simply changed your mind?

For clarity, we need more facts about the transaction:

Are you a private buyer or operating a business which acquired the car?

Private buyer

Is the car new or used and how much did you pay for it?

New £33.500

How much did you borrow from the Finance Company?

£33.500

Did you visit the supplier of the car before committing to the transaction?

No

What is the date of the delivery of the car to you?

25 January

Why do you want to return the car? e.g. Is there something with it? Was it mis-described? or have you simply changed your mind?

Change of mind (personal reasons)

Thanx

Edited by Xileno on 01/02/2024 at 09:38

My (Not in any way legally qualified) advice, would be to communicate with the supplier of the car, but ensuring that you copy all communications to the Finance Company.

Under the Consumer Contracts Regulations (which I believe superceded the Distance Selling Regulations), the supplier should have already informed you of:

1. details of who pays for the cost of returning items if you have a right to cancel and change your mind
  2. A geographical address
  3. If they are acting for a third party

I trust that this helps

Edited by leaseman on 01/02/2024 at 08:55

Distance selling regulations - skidpan

Change of mind (personal reasons)

The 2015 CRA makes it clear that buyer remorse is not a reason for rejection so nothing to do with the dealer since the car is not faulty.

Perhaps the finance company will be more understanding.

Thanx for replies.

I'm rejecting the car under CCR 14 day return window which doesn't need a reason (not CRA which I know I can't return under this legislation).

Because the finance has been paid off, does anyone know if this may be a reason I can't return the car?

I do not believe that paying off the finance should make any difference. Your rights under the Consumer Ccntracts Regulations will not be affected. ( Skidpan: you are mixed up between the CCR and the CRA- Not difficult to do, and that's why I asked the questions in my early morning Post!)

OP: Was there a Part Exchange involved?

Thanx Leaseman, very helpful. No part exchange and I'm no longer using the car

Please keep the Forum informed as to your progress, as we all learn from the experiences of other members and welcome feed-back !

Good luck in a, hopefully, speedy process

Thank you and I'll post any updates