2018 - Dacia duster parts - Edward batson

We bought a Dacia duster brand new in 2018. Generally been happy with the purchase until our MOT was due in August 2023. We knew we had a problem with the airbag as a light came up intermittently the week or 2 before so told our dealer. Not on warranty as was only 3 years. This car is our only car, I am married with 2 very young children and 2 old dogs. We also have a roof box for when we travel as we need lots of things with a young family.

We apparently needed a new part which took nearly 6 months to arrive and fix. At no point did they give us a timescale nor update us. In that time we were provided a hire car to use. However it was much smaller than a duster and we weren't allowed dogs in there either. Some big problems we had. For instance we went on holiday a couple of times and had to get someone else to bring 1 of our suitcases. Couldn't take dogs to the better favourite park as couldn't drive them there. Couldn't take whole family to see very unwell auntie over Christmas.

Renault customer services were generally not very helpful and only spoke to me if I rang them. Didn't seem to recall earlier phone calls and never followed through with what they suggested they would do. They usually blamed the dealer (a franchise of Renault). The franchise dealer were at least forthcoming to me but not brilliant at keeping me in the loop. It didn't really seem that the franchise and customer care at Renault spoke to eachother and relied on me doing all the donkey work.

Obviously I wasted loads of time trying to deal with this. I made it crystal clear how bad the experience and how much of an issue it's been for us. Renault have now told me they have done a good job and went above and beyond giving us a hire car at all as we were outside of the warranty. To go that little bit further they have suggested they would pay 10% of the final bill of about £700.

Maybe I'm expecting too much as our car was outside of its warranty, but the whole experience was appalling and I can't believe they want to just give me £70 for my troubles...

Is there any other avenue of attack, or have Renault actually done more than they needed to?

Obviously goes without saying I would never recommend anyone buy a Renault or Dacia.

Thanks in advance for any comments

2018 - Dacia duster parts - Xileno

Communication could have been better but considering the car is out of warranty you've done well on goodwill in my view.

2018 - Dacia duster parts - Chris M

And six months of hire car must have cost a bit. Don't think you've done too bad really.

2018 - Dacia duster parts - Andrew-T

Agree with the above. Try to see it from Renault's angle. The car is out of warranty, so all you can expect (or hope for) is goodwill, which seems to have been pretty generous, perhaps because of your personal circs - which, it has to be said, do not form any part of a warranty contract.

Basically you have been a bit unlucky, but it could have been worse. And I am sorry to see your knee-jerk reaction of "never buying one of those again" - it makes you feel better, but may contain little logic.

Edited by Andrew-T on 11/02/2024 at 17:27

2018 - Dacia duster parts - gordonbennet

I'm another one who thinks Dacia/Renault have nothing to be ashamed of here.

The foolish reactions in my opinion to the recent pandemic have caused all sorts of supply chain issues for multiple industries, you might have had a faster result by getting an indy to identify the part(s) required and then trying to get them from a car breaker, main dealers won't usually get involved with that sort of thing.

edit following complaint

Edited by Xileno on 11/02/2024 at 21:28

2018 - Dacia duster parts - Adampr

I'm amazed they gave you anything! If my car broke down out of warranty and the manufacturer offered me £70 and a hire car for six months I'd be singing their praises.

2018 - Dacia duster parts - alan1302

I'm amazed they gave you anything! If my car broke down out of warranty and the manufacturer offered me £70 and a hire car for six months I'd be singing their praises.

Agreed - not sure why the op is so unhappy. They could have had the long wait and no free hire car.

2018 - Dacia duster parts - gordonbennet

The foolish reactions in my opinion to the recent pandemic have caused all sorts of supply chain issues for multiple industries, you might have had a faster result by getting an indy to identify the part(s) required and then trying to get them from a car breaker, main dealers won't usually get involved with that sort of thing.

edit following complaint

the term pandemic is also someone's opinion, and it appears is more equal.

2018 - Dacia duster parts - skidpan

edit following complaint

the term pandemic is also someone's opinion, and it appears is more equal.

It is the term used by a body of experts who know far more than yourself.

2018 - Dacia duster parts - Edward batson

Thanks all for the input.

Sounds like in everyone's opinion Renault have done more than required. They just clearly need different policies and individuals in customer services than the experience I was given to be able to discuss appropriately with customers.

All well and good with hindsight, but where I've ended up I'd rather they didn't provide an inadequate hire car and I'd have bought a different car 6 months ago.

I will take the offer and move on now.

2018 - Dacia duster parts - Xileno

"I will take the offer and move on now."

Very wise IMO, you got a good deal. I'm far from sure certain other manufacturers I could mention would have done as much out of warranty.

And on that note it's probably best to bring this one to an end. This is not the forum for debating any aspects of the pandemic. If people must then the General forum is the place although we've surely been over it all before ad nauseum.

Mod