Vauxhall Mokka X - Flushing The Engine / Renewing Brake Fluid - John-218

Hi all,

What's your thoughts on flushing your car engine and renewing the brake fluid when you have your car serviced ?

When we use our main dealer we're always asked if we want the engine flushed, and the brake fluid changed, these add-ons last time were £30 each adding £60 to our bill.

First of all, does the engine need flushing, and how do we know if they've have actually flushed it ?

Secondly, brake fluid, to change or not to change that is the question ? One mechanic that used to work for this main dealer told us that they don't actually drain it off, all they do is siphon out what's in the brake fluid reservoir and refill it with fresh fluid, is this ok or a waste of time ?........

He said that the reason that they don't drain off all the brake fluid is because there is a danger that the bleed valve or nipple could be corroded and easily damaged, this could cause a much bigger problem so they leave well alone.

I hope this makes sense, any opinions would be appreciated.

John.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Flushing The Engine / Renewing Brake Fluid - Xileno

Provided the engine oil and filter has been replaced at the correct intervals, I would not bother with a flush. I think they can cause more problems if a piece of previously stuck crud gets dislodged. You have no way of telling whether the flush has been done, you have to trust the garage.

Brake fluid is one of those subjects where you will get a range of views from change it every two years to never doing it. I personally have it done every five as a compromise but I don't do many miles and not hard driving such as warm climates and mountains or towing.

If you're going to change the brake fluid then do it properly. I can't see how syphoning out the reservoir is achieving anything useful.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Flushing The Engine / Renewing Brake Fluid - elekie&a/c doctor
Firstly, no manufacturer recommends engine oil flush . This is a garage up sell . Brake fluid change is a gray area . Most makers suggest every 2-3 years , but is it actually necessary? The garage is correct is saying it could cause more issues with seizure or breakages of bleed nipples .
Vauxhall Mokka X - Flushing The Engine / Renewing Brake Fluid - edlithgow
Firstly, no manufacturer recommends engine oil flush . This is a garage up sell . Brake fluid change is a gray area . Most makers suggest every 2-3 years , but is it actually necessary? The garage is correct is saying it could cause more issues with seizure or breakages of bleed nipples .

Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, since, if you dont change your fluid; you are much more likely to have problems if/when you ever do.

Having had a total brake failure almost certainly due to boiling brake fluid, stripped the system, and seen the corrosion horrors within, I'm now a believer.

Brake systems are expensive, and useful if you ever want to stop.

IF all the garage are doing is changing the fluid in (and hopefully flushing and cleaning) the reservoir, that perhaps isn't very useful. I suppose in time some water will diffuse out of the brakes but it has a long way to go.

OTOH it would be trivial to do yourself

Full service is a bit more elaborate but hardly rocket science. I put PTFE thread tape on the bleed nipples which would ensure they didnt rust up in the future, if there was a future.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Flushing The Engine / Renewing Brake Fluid - Chris M

"The garage is correct is saying it could cause more issues with seizure or breakages of bleed nipples."

But if the fluid is changed every 2 or 3 years that risk would be minimised. Same situation could be said for spark plugs which don't get touched for 4+ years.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Flushing The Engine / Renewing Brake Fluid - paul 1963

The brake fluid question is one that regularly pops up here, I'm firmly in the change it camp, others will say leave it...

If your garage is charging £30 to change it then I can assure you there not and your mechanic is telling the truth.

As to the engine flush question personally I think it's a waste of money, assuming the engine gets fresh oil every 10k then the detergents in it will take care of it.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Flushing The Engine / Renewing Brake Fluid - Andrew-T

When I attend to the brakes I have the whole system 'overhauled', not just the fluid changed. Every 6 years or so. I don't think brake fluid deteriorates much in normal use, tho it is said to be hygroscopic. That should not pose a problem unless you somehow drive so maniacally that your brakes get hot enough to boil the absorbed moisture in the fluid.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Flushing The Engine / Renewing Brake Fluid - John-218

Thanks for the replies fellas, much appreciated.

John

Vauxhall Mokka X - Flushing The Engine / Renewing Brake Fluid - daveyjp

I think its also important to recognise that on a modern manual car 'brake fluid' is a misnomer.
It is a hydraulic fluid as the system is often split to serve the clutch slave and master cylinder components. These are also affected by deteriorating fluids and potentially not as cheap to fix as brake components.

When I attend to the brakes I have the whole system 'overhauled', not just the fluid changed. Every 6 years or so. I don't think brake fluid deteriorates much in normal use, tho it is said to be hygroscopic. That should not pose a problem unless you somehow drive so maniacally that your brakes get hot enough to boil the absorbed moisture in the fluid.

In my case, what seems to have happened is:-

a wheel cylinder leaked, due to internal corrosion.

This caused a brake shoe to detach.

The brake shoe wedged under the other brake shoe and heated the brake drum to "maniacal" levels without any maniac action on my part.

This boiled the ancient, saturated brake fluid, resulting in total, sudden, pedal to the floor brake failure..

No maniacs were harmed during the production of this incident.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Flushing The Engine / Renewing Brake Fluid - Andrew-T

<< In my case, what seems to have happened is:-

a wheel cylinder leaked, due to internal corrosion. This caused a brake shoe to detach. The brake shoe wedged under the other brake shoe and heated the brake drum to "maniacal" levels without any maniac action on my part. This boiled the ancient, saturated brake fluid, resulting in total, sudden, pedal to the floor brake failure.. >>

So that scenario confirms that regular (not necessarily frequent) changes of brake fluid will ensure that it doesn't have time to absorb enough moisture to either cause corrosion in the brake cylinder or release steam as a consequence !

<< In my case, what seems to have happened is:-

a wheel cylinder leaked, due to internal corrosion. This caused a brake shoe to detach. The brake shoe wedged under the other brake shoe and heated the brake drum to "maniacal" levels without any maniac action on my part. This boiled the ancient, saturated brake fluid, resulting in total, sudden, pedal to the floor brake failure.. >>

So that scenario confirms that regular (not necessarily frequent) changes of brake fluid will ensure that it doesn't have time to absorb enough moisture to either cause corrosion in the brake cylinder or release steam as a consequence !

Strictly speaking I dont think it does, though I'd doubt that really needs confirmation.

What it confirms is that

(a) even if your old wet brake fluid doesn't boil, it can still cause serious corrosion

(b) You dont necessarily need to drive manically (as you implied above that you did) for old wet brake fluid to boil, giving you the "classic" foot to the floor sudden brake failure.

DP, sorry

Edited by edlithgow on 20/02/2024 at 01:04

Vauxhall Mokka X - Flushing The Engine / Renewing Brake Fluid - John F

What's your thoughts on flushing your car engine....

Your engine is not a toilet. It doesn't need flushing. However, I always change the oil myself to ensure two things. Firstly, complete drainage of the old deposit laden oil adhering to the interior metal like the sauce on the sides of a sauce bottle, by leaving it for several hours to drip into a tray before refilling the sump. Secondly, to ensure a quality oil filter and the correct spec oil is used, not just cheap replacement from the garage's bargain basement bulk buy basic all-purpose 0-30 oil barrel. This is particularly important for cambelt-in-oil engines.

and renewing the brake fluid when you have your car serviced ?

I'm in the 'hardly ever' camp. I suspect our 21yr old 21st century Focus went to its grave with much of its original brake fluid present. Changing it every few years is 20th century advice for 21st century cars. Modern DOT 4 brake fluid has a significantly higher boiling point than its predecessors and the sealing of modern brake systems and their reservoirs ensures that there is effectively no exposure to moisture.

He said that the reason that they don't drain off all the brake fluid is because there is a danger that the bleed valve or nipple could be corroded and easily damaged, this could cause a much bigger problem so they leave well alone.

Nonsense - although cack-handed mechanics could mis-thread them or overtighten them and strip the thread. The real reason is probably because it takes time, which costs. Indeed, there is a very good argument to loosen the bleed nipples every five years or so and press out a few mls of fluid into a jam jar, not only to inspect it but mainly also to ensure that the nipple and caliper threads are not so welded together by age and corrosion that the head breaks off when trying to undo it. In the old days of poor seals you would often expel a grotty contaminated watery dark brown substance. This century I have always noted clear uncontaminated fluid on the rare occasion I have inspected it.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Flushing The Engine / Renewing Brake Fluid - bathtub tom
Firstly, complete drainage of the old deposit laden oil adhering to the interior metal like the sauce on the sides of a sauce bottle, by leaving it for several hours to drip into a tray before refilling the sump.

There's one engine I read about, where you shouldn't do that. It relies on the residual oil to prime the pump.

Firstly, complete drainage of the old deposit laden oil adhering to the interior metal like the sauce on the sides of a sauce bottle, by leaving it for several hours to drip into a tray before refilling the sump.

There's one engine I read about, where you shouldn't do that. It relies on the residual oil to prime the pump.

I THINK you are probably talking about the Ford Explorer stylee engine, (though I dunno it thats the only vehicle with this undesirable characteristic)

If so, IIRC, you only have 15 or 20 minutes to drain the oil.

IIRC John Cadogan was quite patronising about people objecting to that, I am a clever engineer and you aren't stylee. Surprise, Surprise

I don't think he explained why clever engineers found it was necessary to invent this new way of destroying an engine, just limiting himself to taking the p*** out of the punters, but I suppose it must offer some advantage. Perhaps it has some connection with making the oil pump delivery independent of engine speed, to save a little fuel.

Since I didnt have one of them, I used to leave it overnight, with a paper towel stuck in the drain hole.

Edited by edlithgow on 26/02/2024 at 00:30

and renewing the brake fluid when you have your car serviced ?

I'm in the 'hardly ever' camp. I suspect our 21yr old 21st century Focus went to its grave with much of its original brake fluid present. Changing it every few years is 20th century advice for 21st century cars. Modern DOT 4 brake fluid has a significantly higher boiling point than its predecessors and the sealing of modern brake systems and their reservoirs ensures that there is effectively no exposure to moisture.

Nonsense - although cack-handed mechanics could mis-thread them or overtighten them and strip the thread. The real reason is probably because it takes time, which costs. Indeed, there is a very good argument to loosen the bleed nipples every five years or so and press out a few mls of fluid into a jam jar, not only to inspect it but mainly also to ensure that the nipple and caliper threads are not so welded together by age and corrosion that the head breaks off when trying to undo it. In the old days of poor seals you would often expel a grotty contaminated watery dark brown substance. This century I have always noted clear uncontaminated fluid on the rare occasion I have inspected it.

A few counter-arguments, some of them tentative, some bleedin obvious.

I dunno if the "20th century advice for 21st century cars" is truly a bad thing, since I wouldn't much thank you for a 21st century car, but judging by the sorry state a 1999 Honda Accord I brake flushed was in, I'd be surprised if a 2000 would be much better.

Particularly difficult reservoir to flush, with lots of sludge traps. Dunno why. Maybe to stop the sludge getting deeper into the system.

Even if it were truly a bad thing, there are still a few 20th century cars around. I believe you have one, for example.

Re DOT 4 brake fluid having a higher boiling point, I believe this is true, but it is also more hygroscopic than DOT3, (The CPC DOT4 comes in a metal bottle, the CPC DOT3 in plastic, probably for this reason) as well as being twice the price. Wet brake fluid causes corrosion, so the boiling point isn't the only criterion.

It is clearly NOT "nonsense" that brake nipples can corrode, seize, and shear off, and to be fair, having said its nonsense, you then go on to directly contradict yourself. They are small, relatively weak (being hollow), and in an exposed position, so if they are not explicitly protected from corrosion (and rather few punters or mechanics are going to do that) failure is hardly surprising.

Edited by edlithgow on 18/02/2024 at 04:19