Toyota Yaris Cross (2023 model) - 12v battery issues Hybrid - Chris Willsher

If you search the internet, there are lots and lots of posts telling of issues starting hybrid cars, in my case a Yaris Cross, where the 12v battery voltage is too low. The AA want to sell you a new battery and starts the car, telling you to visit your dealer. The dealer, charges the battery, says it passes all Toyota checks and you pay £30 for the privilege only for it to happen again soon afterwards. Third party videos on You Tube suggest that the Toyota test does not allow the battery to stabilise after charging and if you leave for a few hours, testing shows the voltage is too low. The battery would appear to be underrated in terms of capacity.

My wife has lost all confidence in the car and wants me to change it for a non-hybrid. Why the car could not be designed to allow the main hybrid battery to charge the 12v starting battery is beyond my knowledge as it does this once you start the car. Toyota seems to be oblivious to this issue and issues unhelpful advice about driving so many miles a week or leaving the car running in your drive for an hour in "ready" mode (could be illegal?).

I don't think this issue is limited to Toyota but there must be a solution? To suggest a solar trickle charger or similar is not the answer for a lady who is almost 80 years old and not mechanically minded. Serious questions need to be asked of Toyota who seem blind to the issue and continue to sell cars that would appear to be not fit for purpose.

Is there a practical solution? Should we pay to have a larger capacity battery fitted or would this invalidate the warranty? Can we get a sensible solution from Toyota whose reputation for reliability is being seriously harmed.

Toyota Yaris Cross (2023 model) - 12v battery issues Hybrid - bathtub tom

This has been widely discussed on the Toyota Yaris forum: www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/forum/49-yaris-yar.../

It seems fitting a battery of different manufacturer than what it comes with may be the solution.

Toyota Yaris Cross (2023 model) - 12v battery issues Hybrid - skidpan

This has been widely discussed on the Toyota Yaris forum: www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/forum/49-yaris-yar.../

It seems fitting a battery of different manufacturer than what it comes with may be the solution.

Except Toyota confirmed that fitting a battery of a different capacity (as suggested on the forum) would affect the warranty.

We intend to use our smart charger every week and keep the starter pack handy.

Toyota Yaris Cross (2023 model) - 12v battery issues Hybrid - FiestaOwner

For 18 years, I didn't use my car for work (not even for commuting). My car sat unused through the week and was normally only used at weekends. Never had any starting or battery issues. Never used a jump pack or charger.

Surely you shouldn't have this issue with a modern hybrid, even if it's only used a couple of times a week.

Toyota Yaris Cross (2023 model) - 12v battery issues Hybrid - skidpan

For 18 years, I didn't use my car for work (not even for commuting). My car sat unused through the week and was normally only used at weekends. Never had any starting or battery issues. Never used a jump pack or charger.

Surely you shouldn't have this issue with a modern hybrid, even if it's only used a couple of times a week.

Agree you shouldn't but it seems its normal for all Toyota hybrids. Instead of the Yuasha battery they now fit one called the Mitlu which seems to be r******.

Never had an issue with our Superb PHEV in 3 1/2 years (fingers crossed) but when we went to look at a Kia Niro (hybrid) the battery only managed to unlock the car (demonstrator) and it was then dead. Salesman said press the button under to dash which transferred enough charge in about 3 seconds to get it going.

Apparently the batteries on these Toyota hybrids are small and not too powerful since they don't have to churn the engine etc, its only enough to get it to realise its a car. But after a few days the drain from car systems drains them enough to make the car a non-starter.

The "experts" on the forum say that fitting a higher capacity battery will sort it and from experience it has worked for me in the past but Toyota say fitting a battery with different capacities to the original will affect the warranty.

I tend to believe Toyota rather than an internet "expert" who assures people spending £120 is fine.

There is a "mode" on the car called "ready mode" which charges the battery with the car sitting on the drive, road etc without actually driving it. Trouble seems to be the cars needs to be turned on and in the hour it takes the engine will restart several times. IMHO not a great idea leaving your car in this mode, would be likely to go missing and insurance would almost certainly not pay out.