Mazda 3 - car insurance - second time - johnmazda

I'm just about to purchase car insurance after my first year of driving.

So just to check I can claim one year's worth of no claims correct, even though technically it has not been a whole year yet if that makes sense? Because obviously by the time I purchase new cover it will be a whole year - as long as I don't need to make a claim until my current insurance ends (13 March)...

I'm ok to tick 1 year of no claims box on my current insurance application, which will be a new provider?

Edited by johnmazda on 22/02/2024 at 16:45

Mazda 3 - car insurance - second time - skidpan

I'm just about to purchase car insurance after my first year of driving.

So just to check I can claim one year's worth of no claims correct, even though technically it has not been a whole year yet if that makes sense? Because obviously by the time I purchase new cover it will be a whole year - as long as I don't need to make a claim until my current insurance ends (13 March)...

I'm ok to tick 1 year of no claims box on my current insurance application, which will be a new provider?

The new provider will want proof from your existing provider and they will not give you proof for 1 years NCB until the policy has been in effect for 365 with no claims. Your new provider should know all this and will give you the discount with the proviso that you provide proof withing a certain number of days, no proof and they will want more money.

But it may well be computerised these days, its almost 50 years since I claimed my first years NCB and back in those days your broker did all the paperwork.

Mazda 3 - car insurance - second time - leaseman

If you wait until you receive a renewal notice from your current insurer, it should identify 1 year No Claims. If you then change insurer, that notice will give you the proof that you need to verify your declaration.

Mazda 3 - car insurance - second time - Terry W

Apparently the premium quoted will often increase as renewals draw closer.

If you wait until the existing policy is about to expire they will assume you are (a in panic buying mode, and (b) disorganised which may be reflected in your driving.

The optimum time to get quotes is 3-4 weeks before renewal.

As noted by others you can assume a years NCB - they will later ask for proof. If you have a claim in the interim you would need to tell them and the offer may change or be withdrawn

OK thanks for the responses.

So as I understand it, I can go ahead and proceed to fill in a new policy with a new provider and say I have one year no claims within that new application?

Edited by johnmazda on 22/02/2024 at 20:01

Mazda 3 - car insurance - second time - RT

So as I understand it, I can go ahead and proceed to fill in a new policy with a new provider and say I have one year no claims within that new application?

Yes - but if you make a claim between now and the start of the new policy, it must be notified to the new insurer and may increase the premium.

Yes - but if you make a claim between now and the start of the new policy, it must be notified to the new insurer and may increase the premium.

Right, got it thanks!

Mazda 3 - car insurance - second time - Engineer Andy

Apparently the premium quoted will often increase as renewals draw closer.

If you wait until the existing policy is about to expire they will assume you are (a in panic buying mode, and (b) disorganised which may be reflected in your driving.

The optimum time to get quotes is 3-4 weeks before renewal.

As noted by others you can assume a years NCB - they will later ask for proof. If you have a claim in the interim you would need to tell them and the offer may change or be withdrawn

I recall someone (it may have been that money saving chap on ITV) saying that you get a first round of quotes (which should last about a month) just within the 1 month to go mark, keep all the references / hyperlinks (easier for those obtained via screen sc***er websites), then do a fresh search about a week or so before the renewal date.

Then use whichever ones gives the best quotes for the cover needed. Some insurers used to give a better quote if they are your existing one and you (like with car breakdown cover) start the process over the phone to move providers, but this appears to be less common for both now as the industry experiences higher costs and thus lower margins / profits.

With doing most things online, companies shouldn't need a 'paper' copy of NCD years nowadays, so you never know if a last minute call before deciding which provider to go with might stir them up to offer a big discount. I suspect some may not if you've tried it before and stayed with them.