Best small automatic for £12.5k or so ? - John270265

Looking to buy a small automatic car for my daughter. We have c£12.5k or so. More confused after reading reviews about this automatic gearbox or that. Most miles around town and single carriageway roads, occasional dual carriageway, rarely motorway. Practicality and reliability prime considerations. Any help appreciated.

Best small automatic for £12.5k or so ? - Adampr

A Mazda 2 or a Toyota Yaris Hybrid.

Thx

Best small automatic for £12.5k or so ? - SLO76
Beaten to it, but I’d also shortlist the Mazda 2 which has a tough but simple chain driven petrol motor and tried and tested torque converter gearbox. They’re fun to drive, good on fuel and utterly dependable.

The latest Yaris Hybrid is a nice thing. Smart looking inside and out, well made and utterly dependable. You’ll need a bit more money for one with sensible miles though. The previous gen model can be had for your budget, but they’re a bit bland. No reliability concerns but the transmission functions like a CVT so it isn’t to everyone’s taste, especially though with a heavy right foot.

I’m wary of automated manual gearboxes such as VAG’s DSG or Ford’s Powershift, there have been too many cases of failures and they’re highly complex and hugely expensive to fix. Many manufacturers use their own versions mostly with greater success, but I’m just not comfortable recommending any of them.

Thx

Best small automatic for £12.5k or so ? - John F

There are bargains to be had for the well engineered old shape Peugeot 2008. Here's one.....

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401195703532?s...a

It uses the reliable ubiquitous Aisin TC autobox, known as the EAT6 in Peugeots. We've had one for over 4yrs and are still well pleased with it.

Best small automatic for £12.5k or so ? - Adampr

There are bargains to be had for the well engineered old shape Peugeot 2008. Here's one.....

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401195703532?s...a

It uses the reliable ubiquitous Aisin TC autobox, known as the EAT6 in Peugeots. We've had one for over 4yrs and are still well pleased with it.

I am not a fan of engine hysteria, but I think that this should be accompanied with the caveat that any pre-2018 Puretech should be avoided and any post-2018 approached with eyes open.

Personally, I believe that new technologies have teething problems and that this appears to have now resolved with the Puretech. People do need to be informed of the historic issues with them before deciding to purchase, though.

Thx thats helpful.

Best small automatic for £12.5k or so ? - John F

....It uses the reliable ubiquitous Aisin TC autobox, known as the EAT6 in Peugeots. We've had one for over 4yrs and are still well pleased with it.

I am not a fan of engine hysteria, but I think that this should be accompanied with the caveat that any pre-2018 Puretech should be avoided and any post-2018 approached with eyes open.

Agreed - the OP's budget comfortably extends to 2019+ models.

Personally, I believe that new technologies have teething problems and that this appears to have now resolved with the Puretech. People do need to be informed of the historic issues with them before deciding to purchase, though.

I wonder how many car salespersons would do so!

PS.. looks as though I might be famous.....

bnnbreaking.com/world/france/unraveling-the-flaws-...s

Edited by John F on 01/03/2024 at 16:47