Fiat 500 - Insurance renewal during ongoing claim - Polo2008

Daughters Fiat 500 was stolen and her renewal is due in 2 weeks time, can she still shop around for a new policy at expiry or does she still have to use the same insurer?

It's unlikely to be recovered (even so she doesn't want it back after it being ragged around by 4 youths) but I understand there's a 30 day waiting time by which time it'll have elapsed.

She already has a no fault 2 years ago but this theft will class as hers and put an already extortionate policy up.

Fiat 500 - Insurance renewal during ongoing claim - leaseman

Your daughter can't truthfully take out a new policy with any company whilst she doesn't know where the car is.

I suggest she speaks to her insurer and discuss her options with them in the first instance. Even renewal with them is debatable until she discovers the fate of the car as she does not currently have an insurable interest.

I've never been in her current situation, but someone with such an experience may be able to tell us what happened and make a more informed comment.

Fiat 500 - Insurance renewal during ongoing claim - RichardW

Presumably she is claiming for the 500? In which case the current policy will pay out and be terminated. So once she finds a new car, she just takes out a new policy for the new car - declaring the claim for the theft of course!

This makes sense, however won't this mean a lapse in policy leaving a gap so she cannot build up more years or doesn't this matter?

Fiat 500 - Insurance renewal during ongoing claim - RT

This makes sense, however won't this mean a lapse in policy leaving a gap so she cannot build up more years or doesn't this matter?

She won't get a year's NCD for this year as she's making a claim.

Does it make a difference if it's protected?

Yes and no - it should be protected at the level she started this year of insurance but won't increase as she's making a claim.

Fiat 500 - Insurance renewal during ongoing claim - Ethan Edwards

When you have a car policy end you can request proof of ncd. This lasts for one year so within that year your new policy will start. Won't be an issue. However you will be making a claim , that may affect your ncd.

Makes me sick when it's not her fault, also her excess she's had to pay. They've found it hotwired so it's going for an assessment hopefully wrote off.

My wife's 500e has an App which tells you where the car is 24/7. If you replace your 500 it's worth a look.

Fiat 500 - Insurance renewal during ongoing claim - badbusdriver

My wife's 500e has an App which tells you where the car is 24/7. If you replace your 500 it's worth a look.

Wasn't there a story not too long ago about someone who found their stolen car thanks to a cheap (around £20-30 if memory serves) tracking device (possibly from Amazon) which they'd hidden in the car?

Edited by badbusdriver on 10/03/2024 at 12:52

Also... When using a search for a quote should she put 5 years or 4 given her NCB is protected?

Get the proof of NCD letter from your current insurer and use what's written on that.

Also... When using a search for a quote should she put 5 years or 4 given her NCB is protected?

If it was 4 years at the last renewal, it'll still be 4 years at the next renewal - she hasn't earnt any NCD this year by virtue of making a claim.

So what is the point in protecting a NCB?

So what is the point in protecting a NCB?

It would normally go down when you make a claim - by protecting it, it stays the same