Road tax - Doc

No mention of this on the coverage of the Budget;

Road tax rates (VED) are going up on 1 April 2024 for most cars.

The standard rate for cars first registered on or after April 1 2017 will increase from its current level of £180, for most conventionally powered cars, to around £190.

www.petebarden.co.uk/news/articles/how-much-is-roa...4

Road tax - RT

No mention of this on the coverage of the Budget;

Road tax rates (VED) are going up on 1 April 2024 for most cars.

The standard rate for cars first registered on or after April 1 2017 will increase from its current level of £180, for most conventionally powered cars, to around £190.

www.petebarden.co.uk/news/articles/how-much-is-roa...4

They were announced in the Autumn Statement last year www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-excise-...4

Road tax - Doc

They were announced in the Autumn Statement last year www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-excise-...4

I am aware of this, but I am sure most people did not understand this deferred tax increase.

Road tax - Metropolis.
The war on the motorist continues… when will they learn that taxing and restricting our best infrastructure (the car) hurts the economy. Green fanatics!
Road tax - mcb100
I don’t think anyone can honestly label this government as ‘green fanatics’.
Road tax - Terry W

The cost of running a car has fallen in real terms - comparing 2012 with today inflation has increased prices and average pay by 50%.

In 2012 fuel was ~140p per litre - the price today is ~150p - 7% up vs inflation of 50%

VED for 2024 is £190 (cars below £40k). Increased by ~30% compared to inflation of 50% since 2012 - around £150 pa for a fairly average car (rates were emission linked)

Road tax - Big John

In 2012 fuel was ~140p per litre - the price today is ~150p - 7% up vs inflation of 50%

Yup, during my long commute years I remember petrol going to about 146p just over a decade ago - filled up yesterday @ 140.9p

Road tax - Orb>>

Petrol cost on the A12 near us £136.9 filled up the other day.

Road tax - movilogo

government as ‘green fanatics’.

Governments are always tax fanatics

Road tax - alan1302
The war on the motorist continues… when will they learn that taxing and restricting our best infrastructure (the car) hurts the economy. Green fanatics!

It's £10 extra - 83p a month - can't see that hurting anyone.

Road tax - John F

Hopefully they haven't altered the pre-March 2006 and historic vehicle concessions for my two gas guzzlers (Audi A8 £395, Triumph TR7 £nil).

Road tax - gordonbennet

Hopefully they haven't altered the pre-March 2006 and historic vehicle concessions for my two gas guzzlers (Audi A8 £395, Triumph TR7 £nil).

Same here JohnF, one would hope the tories arn't that intent on having double figures only MPs returned after the election, however they've proved so staggeringly incompetent over the past 14 years one won't be holding their breath.

Road tax - Andrew-T

<< ... they've proved so staggeringly incompetent over the past 14 years one won't be holding their breath. >>

I think you are being unjustly critical, GB. It's very easy for anyone to look incompetent in a situation they can do very little to change significantly. It follows that whoever gets elected will look incompetent, partly because they all promise many things which the electorate are daft enough to hope for.

Any people able to look competent in national government are also intelligent enough not to want the job, especially as they can get remunerated (ludicrously) more doing something else - often appearing similarly incompetent, as the Horizon thing has shown.