Swedish tyre test - Michelin Cross climate 2 last! - Dave N
The largest motoring journal in Sweden does an annual winter and summer tyre test. This year’s summmer test tested a number of brands, and threw in an ’all season’ tyre (Michelin Cross Climate 2) for comparison.

Unfortunately, the Cross Climate came in last place, beaten by a Ling Long and a Senrtry (formerly Landsail), and it wasn’t because the chinese tyres put in a sterling performance either!
Swedish tyre test - Michelin Cross climate 2 last! - Big John

Are we allowed a link to the test on this forum - I've failed to find it thus far?

I've had Cross-climates (original & 2) for a while now and in the wilds of Yorkshire have found them great for the great British weather - usually wet! Also pretty good in the white stuff - just not quite as good as the Continental TS850 winter tyres I previously ran in colder weather. I've also subjected them to late 30 deg heat driving through Europe as well, all good but I thought they became slightly noisier at very low speeds in those conditions. Tyre life is usually good (35k miles +) but I've noticed you only get 7mm when brand new.

PS Also trying a set of Goodyear Vector tyres on Mrs BJs Panda - also impressive, we shall see long term.

On average for Blighty, especially up North I think an all season tyre is a good choice. I've had some awful summer tyres in the past that didn't like it around here - the worst were Michelin Energy's(awful when cold and / or wet) but I hated Uniroyal's as well.

Edited by Big John on 13/03/2024 at 20:41

Swedish tyre test - Michelin Cross climate 2 last! - Adampr

Doesn't that just demonstrate that an all-season isn't as good as a summer tyre in summer or a winter tyre in winter but is probably better than a winter tyre in summer or a summer tyre in winter? Isn't that the point?

Doesn't that just demonstrate that an all-season isn't as good as a summer tyre in summer or a winter tyre in winter but is probably better than a winter tyre in summer or a summer tyre in winter? Isn't that the point?

I'd say so. I used to have a different set of rims to easily-ish swap from winter to summer tyres when getting warmer and viceversa. Without fail I'd fit the summer rims and we'd suddenly get frost - I've stopped doing this to avoid upsetting the weather! - well ok I found it a pain after many years,. Even in the wilds of winter our biggest weather issue is still usually rain - in apocalyptic rain conditions (aka Pennines on the M62!) the Crossclimates are amazing.

Edited by Big John on 13/03/2024 at 21:05

Pretty much. What was surprising, for me anyway, was just how poor they really were, especially as they get quite good reviews elsewhere. Although this is a proper scientific test, not some paid jolly around a track.

Heres the link, but probably not free www.vibilagare.se/test/dacktest/test-av-sommardack...t

They did average only on straight line aquaplaning, on everything else they were josling for bottom place with the ditch finders. They were also the most expensive tyre.
Swedish tyre test - Michelin Cross climate 2 last! - Steveieb

Thanks for posting this.

Another surprise was that Kuhmo performed better that Hankook which are now considered a premium brand and fitted as OE to German brands

Swedish tyre test - Michelin Cross climate 2 last! - Manatee

The latest video from Tyre Reviews also says the CC2 is now outclassed - even though it's clearly as good a tyre as it was before.

www.tyrereviews.com/Article/Best-All-Season-Tyres-...m

I like this chap's reviews.

Budget tyres (Linglongs etc) are almost always way behind mid range and premium. The one area they tend to be OK in is dry grip and handling, and it's very rare that they are decent on all dimensions.

All season tyres are a compromise. Some put more emphasis on snow, some lean more to summer use. I'm not surprised the all-season CC2 didn't win a summer tyre test, I am surprised it didn't better the Linglongs.

Landsail are supposed to be among the least bad cheap Chinese brands. I'm interested enough to try and track down the Swedish tyre test. Do you have a link?

EDIT - I might be unjustly maligning the Linglongs. Here in another recent summer tyre test -

www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2024-ADAC-Summer-Tyre-...m

Next to last but not terrible.

Edited by Manatee on 14/03/2024 at 13:42

Swedish tyre test - Michelin Cross climate 2 last! - Ian_SW

If you look at the actual numbers in that tyre review, it shows that there is only a relatively marginal difference between best and worst. The scale and origin of the graphs has been chosen to spread the results across the whole range.

For example on wet braking, there is only a difference of a couple of metres between the budget tyres and most of the premium brands. This would equate to a difference equivalent to applying the brakes around one tenth of a second later.

I think what this shows is that budget tyres aren't as r****** as they once were. I remember being in a mate's car with worryingly shiny looking budget tyres on about 20 years ago and in the wet the car slid around like it was on ice!!

Swedish tyre test - Michelin Cross climate 2 last! - Terry W

I would guess budget tyres are either produced under technology licences from major brands using designs and chemistry 5-10 years old now superseded, or are simply 5-10 years of the pace because they don't invest in R&D.

It would be interesting to compare the "ditch finders" of today with the premium Michelin, Goodyear etc of a decade ago - I suspect there may be little difference.

The real safety answer is to drive cautiously well within your ability and that of the tyres. The weaknesses of lower performing tyres will then be largely academic - tyres will rarely be stressed and the probability of contributing to an otherwise avoidable accident negligible.

The real safety answer is to drive cautiously well within your ability and that of the tyres. The weaknesses of lower performing tyres will then be largely academic

Yes, but no - you can't really cruise on a motorway at 40mph. A few years ago I had to do a 65mph to 0mph emergency stop on the A1 and I was driving my Superb on really good condition Continental TS850's winter tyres on a warmer than expected day (late teens deg C) but my goodness that thing stopped! With Inferior or mixed tyres the good outcome might not have been so great.

Up to a point I'd agree one can drive within the ability of the tyres (or just with sufficient care and anticipation to minimise risk).

But please watch the all-season tyre test linked above to see just how much worse the 'Fronway' tyre was than Michelin/Pirelli/Conti/Goodyear. Wet handling and wet braking in particular, which are probably the most important measures for an all-season tyre.

Swedish tyre test - Michelin Cross climate 2 last! - RT

Up to a point I'd agree one can drive within the ability of the tyres (or just with sufficient care and anticipation to minimise risk).

But please watch the all-season tyre test linked above to see just how much worse the 'Fronway' tyre was than Michelin/Pirelli/Conti/Goodyear. Wet handling and wet braking in particular, which are probably the most important measures for an all-season tyre.

Exactly - to me the whole point of All-Season tyres in the UK is to cope with the cold, wet conditions which prevail here.

My choice is Vredestein Quatrac Pro+ which are optimised for the wet - they don't do as well in snow as some directional tyres but the sipes go all the way down into the tread and keep working in the wet when part-worn, unlike some All-Seasons where the sipes aren't full depth and reduce their wet grip as they get older.