First car for a growing family - domka

Hi, currently I've got a single child. But we are looking to have one or two more in next couple.of years. Therefore, I've decided to get a driving license.

Since, it's my first car it's a bit tricky to decide what to go for. On one hand I could go for cheap small car as its my first one. But I'm on the other I want my family to be comfortable on longer trips. My wife would like something woth higher seating position. Currently I'm leaning towards Mazda CX-5 or Honda CR-V with the budget for up to £13k.

Car would be used for short trips on weekdays and longer ones on weekends. Ideally, I'm looking for safe, spacious, and comfortable car.

I'm open to all suggestions, and ultimately would like to make a sensible decision.

First car for a growing family - Xileno

Those are both sensible cars with decent reliability.

The short trips would suggest petrol but an annual mileage would be useful to know.

I think something around 6000 miles would be realistic.

First car for a growing family - FP

If you go for the Mazda CX-5 choose petrol. The diesel engines often suffer from problems.

I drive a CX-5 (petrol) and it has been excellent in every way for me, but it's no ball of fire unless you thrash it. With a more relaxed driving style it's surprisingly frugal. It has been totally reliable.

A friend has the CR-V. Every time I've been given a lift in it I sense the handling is nowhere near as good as the CX-5.

Edited by FP on 15/03/2024 at 19:12

Thanks for your reply. Which one of below is better option?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402226822373

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202308211048606

Edited by domka on 15/03/2024 at 19:25

First car for a growing family - badbusdriver

Not a fan of white cars myself, so i'd immediately prefer the blue one. It is also quite a bit cheaper, and the design of its wheels will make them easier to clean. On the other hand, it appears to be missing the load cover which, along with scuffing on plastic trim in boot makes me think the previous owners had a dog. Not a deal breaker given how much cheaper it is than the white car though (assuming the car doesn't stink of wet dog!).

Well spotted about potential dog owner.

Specifically, I'm more curious about the difference between the 2 models. I understand the blue one is last year of 2012-2016 model, and white one is first year of 2017.

Is the newer more likely to have issues, since more new staff is introduced?

First car for a growing family - Manatee

Yes I thought they looked different, different model years at least and possibly an update in between. On the basis I'd be keener on the newer one. Hard to tell from photos but the blue one looks a little more careworn.

Non-matching tyres on the white one, Radar and Massimo? Nexen on the blue one which though not premium are respectable IIRC. But you will change tyres at some point.

Have a look underneath. Mazda aren't always very good at rust protection.

I'm curious about where you are?. Blue car is in Brighton, white car is 200 miles away in Nottingham.

Not that I think casting your net wide is a bad thing, but most folk want to buy at least reasonably local!

I live in Surrey. I've just looked into price, year, mileage, fuel type.

I wouldn't even thought about tyres. Thanks!

So to summarize:

• Petrol engine
  • More recent model is better
  • Look for rust underneath
  • Check if tyres are matching
  • Check for signs of pets
  • Look for car locally

How important is mileage for this car? I remember reading that I should count 10k miles for each year of car age.

So to summarize:

• Petrol engine

Or hybrid (assuming you are happy enough with an auto), though there may not be any suitable hybrid within your budget.

• More recent model is better

Not necessarily. If we are talking specifically about those two CX-5's, the white one is just a facelift, not really a new model. Personally, I'm not entirely sold on the new front end treatment though there may be some equipment upgrades which appeal. But in general, if comparing a 7 year old car to an 8 year old one, I'd be much more interested in condition and price than age.

• Look for rust underneath

Assuming reg number hasn't been covered up, you can check the MOT history online for any mention of rust.

• Check if tyres are matching

A matching set of decent quality tyres of a brand you've heard of is best, but may not be that likely. Its advised that tyres are changed at least in pairs, so check that this is the case. If not, and/or if cheap tyres of an unknown brand, this may be used as a bargaining chip?

• Check for signs of pets

As long as no damage or lingering smell, not really that important.

• Look for car locally

Yes, you need to decide how far you are willing to travel and see what is available within that distance. Its all very well deciding on a CX-5, but not wise to ignore a really nice example of something else.

How important is mileage for this car?

Within reason, not that important. If you are only going to be doing 6k per annum, buying an SUV with above average miles could be a shrewd move. It would presumably be newer for the money or cheaper for the same age, so assuming the condition and service history are all good, I wouldn't rule it out. And your doing lower than average miles will have it balance out over time.

First car for a growing family - Steveieb

Are you currently taking driving lessons Donka?

The current wait for tests is quite extensive . So maybe focus on taking the theory test first then join the queue for the practical .

Things could change by the time you are ready to buy a car ?

First car for a growing family - Big John

Get insurance quotes for any possible cars - new driver& young person car insurance can be very expensive , especially on some car models.

Further to the check tyres comments further up the thread it can be worth check how much tyres are for the model you are considering.

First car for a growing family - John F

Despite the fashionable preponderance of the SUV, I would still go for a reputable estate car - the largest I could afford if imminently five up, e.g. Ford Mondeo, VW Passat, Skoda Superb. Buy wisely and keep as long as possible. Changing cars is costly and raising a family is usually the most expensive time of life, so it makes sense to spend as little as possible on cars. Two used Passats did us from 1984 to 2004 - a total of over 400,000 miles - cradle to graduation.