All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - Steveieb

The one thing that really annoys me is the mystery noises that seem to plague most cars and are so difficult to identify and fix.

My new Golf Mk 6 had a rattle from the dashboard which the main dealer tried to fix but ended up making it much worse.. Similarly my Honda Accord had a clicking from the roof area. Turned out to be a broken weld. But Japanese cars seem to suffer from creaks and groans from cheap plastic panels .

But to me the car that had no irritating noises throughout its life was my Audi A4 and I understand that this is a feature of this marque ?

All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - primus 1

I have a Toyota Yaris cross, no rattles or squeaks so far unlike my previous puma, which had a dash rattle which I believe was a loose airbag, also an annoying noise from the engine which resulted in Ford fitting a complete new engine..

All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - Andrew-T

On the fairly rare occasions that I drive my elderly 205, I am pleasantly surprised by its lack of rattles or squeaks. There is a mild squeak when the seat frame and the seat itself rub together as my weight shifts, and one or two hard objects in the glovebox or cubby sometimes make a noise, but the car itself is pretty quiet, despite being French ... :-)

All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - John F

The puzzle of the mystery noise in our new Peugeot 2008 was mentioned in my 1yr progress report ........

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=137006

.....silence since then (although I think the Michelin All Seasons are rather noisy, especially on UK cheap tar and grit road surfaces)

All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - SLO76
Join me driving buses and you’ll soon desensitise to rattles.
All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - elekie&a/c doctor
Some year ago , I had a customer with a jaguar where someone had dropped a coin down the demister vent . Every time you went round a corner you could hear it rolling from one side to the other. Eventually got it out . £1 coin . Charged the guy £100 to get it out . Result.
All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - Orb>>

I have always had an annoying rattle from the passenger seat when it's occupied.

All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - Xileno

"£1 coin . Charged the guy £100 to get it out . Result."

A very impressive return!

All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - edlithgow

IIRC they usually mean the thing is, like, going.

So Music To The Ears

All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - FoxyJukebox
I had a Golf 20 years ago that had an annoying clicking, ticking noise somewhere in the dash. I got so irritated with it that I sold the car.
All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - Big John
I had a Golf 20 years ago that had an annoying clicking, ticking noise somewhere in the dash. I got so irritated with it that I sold the car.

My previous 2003 mkI Superb had a regular dash click/ticking noise - eventually traced to a faulty servo operating a climate control flap. Fortunately fixed under manufacturers warranty - good job as it was a major seats / dash out job.

Edited by Big John on 24/03/2024 at 09:10

All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - bathtub tom

Saw a story the other day where someone had fixed a small bell to the underside of a mates car. Makes a change from the old prank of a pebble inside the hubcap.

All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - Orb>>

Saw a story the other day where someone had fixed a small bell to the underside of a mates car. Makes a change from the old prank of a pebble inside the hubcap.

Or the urban myth about dangly metal bits hidden i Jaguars and Rolls Royces in the olden days.

All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - Will deBeast

Back in 2011, I bought a new MX-5. From new, there was an annoying buzzing sound at 3250 RPM.

I took it back to the dealer a couple of times. They took the dash out, but could find nothing wrong. Eventually I just had to put up with it. But it really took the edge off my otherwise lovely new car.

When the car got to nearly 10 years old, it had the MIL come on. The cause was the EGR actuation valve/motor.

As part of changing the motor, I had to take the strut brace out. When I put it back together, the buzzing had gone.

Edited by Will deBeast on 24/03/2024 at 14:07

All makes - Annoying rattles knocks and squeaks - davecooper

Picked up a few cars that were totally rattle free. However, after a couple of weeks of British road surfaces (if you can call them that), the odd noise was finally teased out.