Mondeo Mark 1 Ghia X 6 Cyl. 2.5 l. - Restoring a car - stolen on 22 March 2024 - Jaymack

My car was stolen from my driveway yesterday morning at 1.10 a.m., the time was captured on a Bushnell Naturcam camera, this was installed temporarily while a CCTV camera was being setup. I have notified the police and got a crime report; I understand that they also notify the DVLA about the theft and if the vehicle is found. The dilemma is that the insurance company is notified that they will pay out, the car then becomes their property, however, I want to have the car back if found and continue restoration of this 28 year old car, I have carried out many repairs and renewals to shock absorbers, brakes etc. etc.. Although the car was still insured till September and had road tax, there was no MOT since it was off the road, this will aid the police in ANPR, I think that I should notify the insurance company but to have them wait for a period. What to do?

Jaymack in High Wycombe

Mondeo Mark 1 Ghia X 6 Cyl. 2.5 l. - Restoring a car - stolen on 22 March 2024 - elekie&a/c doctor
Do you have an agreed insurance value for this car . ?
Mondeo Mark 1 Ghia X 6 Cyl. 2.5 l. - Restoring a car - stolen on 22 March 2024 - SLO76
Not able to help regarding the question itself, but I do hope you recover the car in one piece. The Mk I Mondeo is one of my favourite cars. I remember the first examples coming in when I was selling cars in the 90’s and after previous experiences of 80’s and 90’s Fords I was amazed at how right the Mondeo was.

I’d love a lesser 4cyl LX or GLX Mk I to keep and take to shows, but so few have survived and any I have viewed have been absolutely rotten underneath. I did buy a 99 V plate 1.8 LX for the Rex to Nice banger rally many years ago for £300, which we made into a General Lee lookalike. Wish I’d kept it now.

I bought a very nice V6 Cougar in black for a while, which was bought for another banger challenge, but I found to be just too good to ruin so I sold it for a quick £600 profit. The V6 wasn’t much quicker than the 4cyl cars on the road unless you hammered it and the economy was terrible, but it sounded brilliant.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/03/2024 at 11:48

Mondeo Mark 1 Ghia X 6 Cyl. 2.5 l. - Restoring a car - stolen on 22 March 2024 - Jaymack

I don't know why my car was stolen, it is very rare now being a Mk1, 6 Cylinder, 2.5l Ghia X. There was no MOT since I was still doing it up for an MOT in a few weeks, there was road tax and insurance though.

There are many reasons for stealing a car but this model is not a good choice. For spares?, number plate?, pool car for thiefs?. Hopefully the police ANPR will flag it even though the number plate is changed, Does the ANPR also detect the body shape?, it probably won't be able to be cloned as there are very few around now and the colour red is not common.

I read various reports of stolen cars being recovered but anyone know where to find out an accurate % of this?

Jaymack

Mondeo Mark 1 Ghia X 6 Cyl. 2.5 l. - Restoring a car - stolen on 22 March 2024 - skidpan

There are many reasons for stealing a car but this model is not a good choice. For spares?, number plate?, pool car for thiefs?

Don't get this.

Spares, decent reason perhaps but only enough enough need spares considering its rare..

Pool car, if its that rare surely it would attract attention, the scroats normally operate as low key as possible.

But number plate, you are having a laugh. It would ping up on every ANPR around the country as stolen.

Mondeo Mark 1 Ghia X 6 Cyl. 2.5 l. - Restoring a car - stolen on 22 March 2024 - Turkish_Emperor

If I were you I'd be keeping a close eye on the classic car market, looking for spares being sold, visiting classic car shows, events for your make and model etc. Also scour eBay, Gumroad etc etc. Hope you get it all back and in one piece.

It may help others, good news that my Mondeo was found by the police; the front bumper was badly damaged and the passenger side front wheel was badly damaged, 3 of the fixing bolts were sheared off, the last one was slightly bent, it was hammered and straightened out to get the wheel back on to enable getting the car on the recovery vehicle. Cost me about £600 all told, then there is the repair costs still to come, both number plates were also missing and my tools worth about £1500, were gone .

Fortunately, I had bought a new replacement bumper, a complete fog lamp was also missing, fortunately spares are still around. The car had done very little miles from about 69950 on the clock since, it was stolen, this seems it was stolen by a chancer who didn't know the car, probably a druggie.

I am also trying to find out the circumstances leading to the police finding the car, I have emailed them but I've been told by another, that they don't give out this information, I wonder why.

Jaymack

Mondeo Mark 1 Ghia X 6 Cyl. 2.5 l. - Restoring a car - stolen on 22 March 2024 - alan1302

It may help others, good news that my Mondeo was found by the police; the front bumper was badly damaged and the passenger side front wheel was badly damaged, 3 of the fixing bolts were sheared off, the last one was slightly bent, it was hammered and straightened out to get the wheel back on to enable getting the car on the recovery vehicle. Cost me about £600 all told, then there is the repair costs still to come, both number plates were also missing and my tools worth about £1500, were gone .

Fortunately, I had bought a new replacement bumper, a complete fog lamp was also missing, fortunately spares are still around. The car had done very little miles from about 69950 on the clock since, it was stolen, this seems it was stolen by a chancer who didn't know the car, probably a druggie.

I am also trying to find out the circumstances leading to the police finding the car, I have emailed them but I've been told by another, that they don't give out this information, I wonder why.

Jaymack

I expect it could reveal other things they are investigating if they tell you where and how they found it as well as to lead you people that could or could not be involved in other matters so can see why they may not give out that information.