Taiwan earthquake - galileo

The news pictures showed serious building damage and landslides.

I hope our regular contributor there (edlithgow) has not suffered injury or loss.

I see that we have a post from him today in the early hours so presumably still OK and email operational.

Edited by galileo on 04/04/2024 at 13:16

Taiwan earthquake - Engineer Andy

Indeed, and that the country's crucial industries (chip manufacturers) are not adversely affected or for long, given they apparently have only really got back to 'normality' relatively recently. I just hope the CCP don't take this unfortunate event as their cue to invade...

Taiwan earthquake - Calum38

Whilst there was a lot of damage, 2400 people died during the last one, i think it was 1999. They have come on leaps and bounds now and the buildings conform to extremely strict building standards now. Unlike Turkey!

Taiwan earthquake - hojojo

Whilst there was a lot of damage, 2400 people died during the last one, i think it was 1999. They have come on leaps and bounds now and the buildings conform to extremely strict building standards now. Unlike Turkey!

Comparisons to other regions like Turkey can be insightful in highlighting the importance of stringent building regulations in mitigating the impact of natural disasters. Let's continue to learn from past experiences and work towards creating safer environments for all.