EV, PHEV or Petrol???? - What to buy next???? - expatsFL

We are a 3 car family. A fancy convertible for summer, a cheapo run around small petrol hatchback thats worth nothing, and a medium sized petrol SUV thats does 30 mpg and has high tax.

The convertible is summer use mainly and does under 2k miles a year, the hatchback is the runaround, 5k and the SUV when needed...towing 2 ton, using the cargo space, longer trips, maybe 2k a year.

The requirement for the SUV has gone. No more towing needed BUT we still like the SUV usability. The ride/height its big and comfy..... So thats what we want to replace. Its worth around £9k.

The vast majority of our trips are under 50 miles, usually 25 75% of the time. For these we mainly use the heap as it does 40 mpg and not the SUV which does 30 on a good day! We also now have solar and are limited with export due to the National grid not bothering to upgrade anything until they have to. So on a sunny day, we have unused power available....(but not this April thats for sure)!

So what do we replace the SUV with. We have a max of £15k to spend. (£6k cash and the SUV trade in).

A PHEV? EV or petrol.

Outlander? MG ZS ? Karoq/Ateca/QQ.

We wish to stay biggish, so a Leaf/Niro is out......

EV, PHEV or Petrol???? - What to buy next???? - Metropolis.
Assuming you are buying used, get a Toyota Alphard. Hybrid or petrol both good options.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311013525913

I nearly barfed TY

Ha, it will probably outlive your other choices and be more comfortable and practical but looks are in the eye of the beholder..
EV, PHEV or Petrol???? - What to buy next???? - badbusdriver

Outlander? MG ZS ? Karoq/Ateca/QQ.

We wish to stay biggish, so a Leaf/Niro is out......

The Nissan Leaf and Kia Niro you think too small are both bigger than the MG ZS you (presumably) think big enough?.

Granted the ZS does have a larger boot capacity, but only slightly in the case of the Leaf (435 vs 448 litres)

If manual, I'd say Karoq or Ateca which, incidentally, are both also smaller than a Leaf, but with a usefully bigger boot capacity (if not floor area). I've heard some scary stories about MG quality and parts prices, so I'd steer well clear. But I'd also suggest a Mazda CX-5 petrol.

TY VM. I only mentioned the Leaf and Niro as to me....they are too car like. The MG ZS as an EV. The small battery has too small a range maybe and is in my budget. The newer model with the slightly bigger battery is out of our price range. Yes the CX 5 might be a str8 swap but 40 mpg and slightly cheaper VED....

EV, PHEV or Petrol???? - What to buy next???? - Adampr

Kia Optima PHEV might suit if you want to go PHEV. I have a Karoq 1.5 DSG and it gets low 40s MPG unless thrashed. Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is the other obvious choice. You would probably just about sc***e into a Kia Xceed, but the boot is pretty miserable.

The Optima and Xceeeed are too car like and not really a replacement for the SUV we want to. The Karoq is on our shortlist!

Next week we are going for a day out to Plymouth to view.

Outlander/Karoq/Ateca/CX5/Kadjar/QQ/3008/Tiguan/C5 aircross

So only 2 PHEV's the rest all small engined Tsi's mainly.

I really want to like the Outlander But the battery degradation is the scary thing. The others, we dont have to bother about plugging it in...did we charge it? I dunno, forgot etc.. scenario.

I really want to like the Outlander But the battery degradation is the scary thing. The others, we dont have to bother about plugging it in...did we charge it? I dunno, forgot etc.. scenario.

Going only on what I've read, the Outlander isn't actually that great. Not that spacious for its size (boot is about the same capacity as the Karoq/Ateca despite being over a foot longer), not very refined (when the petrol engine joins in) and with a poor ride. There may also be concerns over parts availability in future too, with Mitsubishi no longer selling in the UK.

I'm going to assume QQ is a Nissan Qashqai?. If so, ignoring the fact that (IMO) they are no less car like than a Niro or Xceed, I wouldn't have much faith in the long term reliability. Remember they are just a Renault Megane underneath. Same thoughts for the Kadjar.

The 3008 and C5 Aircross are the same car under the skin and I'd be concerned that your budget might land you in a 1.2 Puretech of an age where the "wet belt" degradation could cause problems.

Karoq and Ateca are much and such the same car. I'd assume the Tiguan is also the same underneath too despite being a bit bigger bigger. With petrol engine and manual gearbox there isn't too much to be concerned over. But I'd avoid the DSG auto if buying used as they can be fragile, especially if driven hard (which you are unlikely to be able to find out).

That leaves the CX5 which, with petrol engine and either manual or auto gearbox has no vices save perhaps a slight lack of torque at low revs next to turbo rivals.

I'd also consider a Subaru Forester. Parts are expensive and they are thirsty, but if you avoid the diesel, reliability is right up there.

BBD. many thanks for the above.

psst Its a Forester I am wishing to get rid of! I get under 30 mpg in casual use. near 40 on a motorway doing under 70, dead flat, no wind and empty! The tax this year was £365.

I could also add, I did think of going full EV. The cheapest like for like...ish is the MG ZS. But the decent range one, gen 2, goes for £17/18k....I did like the Enyaq but thats over £20k....Its just a car.....trying to justify spending another £10k+ JUST to get rid of the Forester is silly.

BBD. many thanks for the above.

psst Its a Forester I am wishing to get rid of! I get under 30 mpg in casual use. near 40 on a motorway doing under 70, dead flat, no wind and empty! The tax this year was £365.

But if you don't do many miles, is it worth getting rid of a car which otherwise fits your needs and is reliable?

This is by no means an exhaustive comparison (it doesn't include insurance or servicing costs), but using the real mpg section of this website along with the tax listed in Autotrader under running costs suggests that if doing 5k miles per annum, a CX-5 2.0 petrol manual would save you £6.50 per week vs a Forester 2.0 petrol manual (£9.50 over 10k miles). Surprisingly, the real world mpg of the Karoq listed isn't that much more than the CX-5, so £7.50 per week saving vs the Forester over 5k miles (£11.50 over 10k miles).

weird as I have also just done some number crunching as well. The Forester costs me £350 a year more than say a CX5! AND of course the new car probably wont have a towbar which we will need and thats a £500 hit.

b***** b***** bum! Yes I will be up after a year or so BUT grrrrr is it worth it? The Forester has done just 70k miles and last year, all but 150 miles ago, we did a big service which will last 5 years 0f use....I dont change the oil every year although I every other...Its got new front tyres, new brakes 2 years ago.......

hey ho

EV, PHEV or Petrol???? - What to buy next???? - Adampr

If you're only doing 2,000 miles a year in it, there is no rational reason to get rid of a relatively low mileage Forester that you know the history of to buy anything else.

Irrational reasons are fine, but trying to come up with a 'good' reason to go shopping normally means you end up with something you don't want.

We currently only do 2k miles a year because we use the H of S more. "IF" we had say an Ateca with the 1.4 Tsi engine, we would probably use it a lot more than the H of S we currently use. We do approx 4 1/2 K a year in that, so would probably scale that back to 2k a year and up the 2k from the Forester to around 4k pa.

I know if and buts etc.

EV, PHEV or Petrol???? - What to buy next???? - focussed

Oh just buy an EV - I'm sure it will be wonderful as long as it is an EV.

PHEV maybe but not an EV

EV, PHEV or Petrol???? - What to buy next???? - John F

.We wish to stay biggish, so a Leaf/Niro is out......

Without attempting to monetize differences in convenience, range anxiety and depreciation, here is a figurative comparison of fuel cost per mile, litres and kWhs. A 'biggish' ICE car costs around 20p per mile to refuel and lubricate. However, the cost of refuelling a 'biggish' EV is so variable that it is almost impossible to arrive at a general figure. But let's say 10p per mile. So for 6000/10,000 miles a year you save c.£600/1000 p.a. plus probably some VED. Does that offset the extra initial cost, higher EV annual insurance and the other big expense, depreciation, after five or ten years?

EV, PHEV or Petrol???? - What to buy next???? - Ian_SW

You might be better odd replacing the cheap runabout with a fairly old EV instead and keeping the Forester for the occasional long trips.

The 6k of cash would get you a 2017 Leaf or Zoe. Even if the runaround is old and worth next to nothing, it still will cost more to run than one of these and is inevitably going to fail at need replacing at some point reasonably soon.

That wouldn't stop you replacing the Forester as well if the pricey tax is causing you a problem - replacing it with a similarly aged "crossover" type car worth the same money (Karoq, Quasqai etc) could get you down to £30 tax if you choose the car carefully. However you are replacing a car you know with one you don't and the £300 saving could soon be spent in catching up on maintenance the previous owner has not done.

Edited by Ian_SW on 09/04/2024 at 13:58

Interesting thought Ian. But we were just thinking of running the heap into the ground.....and when it dies and goes off to car heaven, replace it with a decent 1 litre Tsi summit...Fabia estate...ish.

Did you see the latest car wow video? Its exactly what you have just written re buying a £5k leaf. Watch it!

No. As we would have to take around £10k from income/savings to pay