Kia Picanto - Insurance query. - BeeJay71

Hi all,

By wife was involved in a "rear-end" shunt whilst in a static queue of traffic. This happened last June 2023. We notified our insurance company of the situation, sending the requisite information & they arranged for her car to be collected & a curtesy car was supplied.

We heard nothing further from the insurance company from that point on. Her car was duly repaired & returned & curtesy car returned, still nothing from our insurers, so we just accepted this was normal & forgot about it, until we got our renewal quotes. My ins had gone up app £40 so nothing new there, my wife's went from app £250 to £500+ On contacting the insurers, we were informed that the settlement with the other drivers insurers was still ongoing. From the renewal notice it would seem that even though she can't be held responsible, we are expected to pay costs. This to me was what we once called years ago "knock for knock"

We've no idea where we stand with his situation, any info/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by BeeJay71 on 14/04/2024 at 17:59

Kia Picanto - Insurance query. - Falkirk Bairn

Messing you aabout.

Get other quotes and move.

I had a similar rear end shunt ages ago - new insurer accepted my story and quoted a better price.

2 years down the line I got my excess and other expenses having taken the 3rd party to court - they settled 4pm on the day before the court appointment

Kia Picanto - Insurance query. - daveyjp

Where its 100% other party at fault and if the car is still driveable get the other party to admit full liability before letting anyone take your car away.

Kia Picanto - Insurance query. - Brit_in_Germany

I think this is fairly standard - while the claim has not been finally resolved it is treated as an at fault claim. Either the additional charges will then be repaid once it is settled (in your favour) or if not, as indicated, you have to claim from the other party.

Kia Picanto - Insurance query. - Bromptonaut

This to me was what we once called years ago "knock for knock"

Somebody who was one here aeons ago had an insurance background.

Knock for knock was an arrangement where companies would cover some types of loss themselves rather than get in a prolonged scuffle with another company. It sort of all came out in the wash.

What this sounds like is that, even though rear ending is usually a slam dunk for the car behind to be liable people try and wriggle off the hook. Or the insurers are sluggardly in dealing with stuff.

We had an outstanding claim on my OH's insurance at renewal for damage I'd done to a third party's property - part of a building not a car. Her premium was bumped up considerably for that reason but once I settled the cost directly and the third party confirmed that it was down to something more than last year but not silly any more.