Kia Sportage - Buy or not - hmc
Kia sportage would you buy one with 139k on the clock please
Kia Sportage - Buy or not - Xileno

A bit more info would be helpful. What age is the car and asking price? Also does it have decent service history.

Kia Sportage - Buy or not - SLO76
Not enough info to go on as already said, but as much as I like these they are built to a price and underbody rust protection is below par so I’d get underneath for a good look around and peruse that Mot history carefully especially if it’s a Mk I or Mk II. Rust is usually the killer on these before they give out mechanically, but gearboxes can wear also so check it changes cleanly and there is no whining noises in any gear.

The older 2.0 diesel is belt driven and most likely overdue a change at this age and money so factor in £500/£600 to do it and the water pump. As with any modern diesel there’s loads to go wrong even though these are generally decent engines.

I personally wouldn’t buy an older diesel SUV on a tight budget, there’s too much to go wrong and everything from tyres to suspension components is more costly. Buy only if you can afford regular big bills or can afford to write it off if it all goes wrong. A better bet on limited money would be a simple petrol hatchback like a 1.6 Ford Focus, 1.6/2.0 petrol Mazda 3, a Honda Civic 1.4/1.8 petrol or a Toyota Auris petrol.
Thanks for the reply’s I have a Toyota urban cruiser and though I like it I find it heavy and not the most comfortable , the Kia a nicer drive . Don’t want lower like focus etc . I’ve had a Carens . It’s £3400 been serviced regular and new clutch etc. timing chain , no rust as yet . My head tells me it’s too many miles , I don’t have lots of money, I think it’s because it’s local trustworthy garage lol . Maybe I keep mine and keep saving now I’ve driven and like it . Oh it’s 62 plate eco

Edited by hmc on 17/04/2024 at 00:30

It’ll be the 1.7 diesel then? Have you looked up the mot history? I’d say stick with what you have, don’t swap one old car you know is reliable for another you don’t know. Keep what you know and save until you can afford a decent Sportage
Kia Sportage - Buy or not - badbusdriver

OP still hasn't given us much to go on?. I'm assuming SLO has "deduced" it to be a diesel because it has a timing chain and the petrol doesn't?.

It could be fine, but at the end of the day it is a high mileage. Kia aren't bad for reliability, but not at the top of the class.

I have a Toyota urban cruiser and though I like it I find it heavy

I'm also curious about this comment, what exactly do you mean?. The Urban Cruiser is a much smaller car than a Sportage and is based on the (ultra reliable) Yaris/ A car which is very light and easy to drive. The Urban Cruiser certainly shouldn't be heavy to drive, so there may be an issue with the power steering, or possibly tyre pressures?

But based on what little info we've been given, I'd definitely stick with what you have.

Kia Sportage - Buy or not - skidpan

OP still hasn't given us much to go on?. I'm assuming SLO has "deduced" it to be a diesel because it has a timing chain and the petrol doesn't?

All Kias from about 2009 on have chains.

All Sportage 2010 on are chains.

OP still hasn't given us much to go on?. I'm assuming SLO has "deduced" it to be a diesel because it has a timing chain and the petrol doesn't?

In that case, I'm not sure what has lead SLO to assume it is a diesel seeing as the OP hasn't said?

But I'd still stick with the Urban Cruiser rather than this high mileage Sportage, regardless of whether petrol or diesel.

£3400 isn't a huge amount of money, but because of the desirability of SUV/Crossover types, it's going to get you even less for your money. If the OP really feels they have to change (and need something with a higher seating position) I'd suggest looking at MPV's. They aren't as trendy, so you will get more (younger, lower miles, better condition) for your budget.

You’re right, it was the previous gen that had a belt. I am wrong.
Thanks everyone , I find my cruiser heavy maybe cos of the 4 wheel drive ? It’s not a particularly comfy drive and slow on the uptake . It feels heavy and solid and safe so I take the pro’s lol the clutch peddle is very hard / stiff I’m
Presuming it’s how it is , I’ve got used to it but not much fun creeping in traffic jam . Tyres etc all
Ok
And recent balance and tracking .

I find my cruiser heavy maybe cos of the 4 wheel drive ?

No, it being 4wd should make no difference at all. It is a small and (relatively) light car, and it should drive as such.

Never driven one myself, so it might be worth looking on line to see if you can find reviews of the car when new. If you find any and they say it is heavy to drive, then you'll just have to accept that as a "characteristic" of the car, or get shot of it. If, as I suspect, it is described as being light and easy to drive, that would confirm my suspicion that there is something amiss. Which may be something like a sticky clutch cable?.

IMO, it would be worth having your local trusted indy have a look at it before changing cars to something invariably less reliable.

Balancing and tracking is something that shouldn't need doing very often (unless you are a particularly ham-fisted driver!)

Just had a read of the Parkers review of the Urban Cruiser which includes this:

"easy steering, a light clutch and slick gear change"

Edited by badbusdriver on 18/04/2024 at 07:34

Thanks for that , local trusted garage has looked and driven and neighbour has driven and they don’t feel steering a problem , neighbour agrees about clutch but days obv just the car . I just find it much heavier and harder ride than my old Kia carrens which I had for 11 years lol thanks again for opinions . I might get garage to look at clutch again I have got used to it in the 16 mths I’ve had it but notice in town and when drive someone else’s car lol . Maybe I find another to test drive . Regarding the lovely shortage ( ahhhh) I will pass and continue to save up for lower mileage
Kia Sportage - Buy or not - movilogo

OK, last year I bought new Sportage, which is different from OP's model but here is my take.

I bought Kia because of its 7 year warranty. At 139k it is out of warranty.

At such mileage, what really matters, besides having good maintenance history, whether the car was fundamentally designed in good way.

Even after owning 3 Kias, I'd say in that mileage I'll bet more on Toyota or Honda rather than Kia :-)

Edited by movilogo on 18/04/2024 at 16:31