BMW 3 Series - red light cameras - johnmazda

With the red light traffic cameras, how does it know if you have stopped before the stop line at a junction? I heard that they have induction loop systems but these aren't at the stop lines themselves but rather further on correct - so they can prove you definitely ran a red light?

When it says every part of vehicle has to stop before the stop line, I'm assuming that means the tyres not your front bummer too!? Because if it's the latter, how would they be able to detect that? Also with the camera set up for a standard red light camera (which I believe are the yellow Gatson ones), how can they detect you've stopped before the stop line anyway because from that angle there's no way of knowing.

Also if you did trigger the camera, would you visually see a flash on the camera, similar to the speed cameras?

BMW 3 Series - red light cameras - FP

"When it says every part of vehicle has to stop before the stop line, I'm assuming that means the tyres not your front bummer too!?"

Pretty obviously it means what it says. "Every part of the vehicle" includes the front bumper, as that is "part of the vehicle".

I have no idea how traffic light cameras capture information, but considering their height above the road it may be possible to at least closely estimate the position of the front of the car.

Ok here's what happened...

I was approaching the junction which I've driven up on many times, I'm aware that there is a camera here so I'm always very cautious. On this occasion I saw it turn to orange and looking back I probably should have just proceeded but I slammed on the brakes and stopped and it was still amber at this point. But then I realised I was very close to the stop line, infact I'm very sure my front bumper might have been above the stop line as I stopped so I reversed back a little exactly the moment the light turned red, to simply ensure I was clear of the line.

I've reviewed the dashcam footage and it's very hard to tell as the dashcam view perspective is obviously quite different compared to the view from the driver seat but it appears that my front bumper may have on top of the line if not slightly over it. Really not sure but in any case I obviously did not go through a red light! So that's why I was asking - surely they can only prosecute you if you've actually gone through a red light rather than just a small part of your front bumper slightly over the line on amber and then reversing back my bumper may have behind the line.... Again I'm not sure how the angle of the red light camera could even tell if the car bumper is over the line.

BMW 3 Series - red light cameras - bathtub tom
When it says every part of vehicle has to stop before the stop line, I'm assuming that means the tyres not your front bummer too!?

If posters started checking what they've posted, I'd lose much of my amusement.

Edited by bathtub tom on 20/04/2024 at 17:12

BMW 3 Series - red light cameras - Adampr

You'll be fine. Don't worry about it.

BMW 3 Series - red light cameras - Middleman

how does it know if you have stopped before the stop line at a junction?

They don't detect that the vehicle has stopped. They detect whether it has crossed the stop line after the lights have turned to red, They do this by means of sensors buried beneath the surface just beyond the line.

how does it know if you have stopped before the stop line at a junction?

They don't detect that the vehicle has stopped. They detect whether it has crossed the stop line after the lights have turned to red, They do this by means of sensors buried beneath the surface just beyond the line.

I'm guessing these sensors are the black lines in the shape of the rectangles just behind the stop line and then in front of the stop line, like in this example here - maps.app.goo.gl/4KseUs8mNq5JLG5e8

So in order for you to be caught going through a red light, your front tyres would have to cross BOTH black lined rectangles, thereby proving you have gone through the red light? And the two rectangles would trigger the the double flash? So your tyres go over the first set of rectangle, first flash, then go over the second, second flash?

Edited by johnmazda on 21/04/2024 at 11:44

BMW 3 Series - red light cameras - Bromptonaut

Unlikely you'd be ticketed just for having a bumper or similar over the line.

The camera takes two pictures to show you've crossed the line. I got caught by one in Leicester ten or so years ago. Lack of observation on my part at a busy gyratory where I'd ascertained the signal was green and then looked through to the next set of lights.

There's also an element of leniency similar to the 10% +2mph thing on speed - half a second or so after red - so you're OK.

BMW 3 Series - red light cameras - movilogo

I read somewhere red light cameras have 2 second delay. This is to ensure if front of the car crosses the line in amber and then light turns red before rear of the car passes line it will still be clear.

Some long lorries got caught by this, but cars should be fine.

It is to punish drivers who deliberately crossed red light rather than accidental amber gamblers.