Ford Focus 2016 - Wet footwells. - Des Jennings

Hello. I have recently noticed wet footwells on the drivers side of my car, particularly the rear footwell. The boot is dry, an area often found to be wet by other drivers.

Is there an obvious area to be looked at which might be causing the issue? I realise now that the condensation I've noticed for some months is linked to the water ingress.

I've been quoted £500 by a Ford dealer just for a water test, which apparently takes four hours. Why four hours.?

Thanks.

Ford Focus 2016 - Wet footwells. - elekie&a/c doctor
Tracing water ingress on cars is a very time consuming process. I would think the dealer would remove all the load area trims and rear seats and carpet for inspection. However, I’d start by checking the drains on the scuttle by the windscreen wipers before anything else.
Ford Focus 2016 - Wet footwells. - catsdad

In addition try to smell the damp carefully. This might indicate that its coolant from a failed heater or screenwash fluid from a leaking tube. Also clean the drain holes at the bottom of the doors with a wooden cocktail stick in case water is building up inside.

Then check any grommets in the floor plan are present and effective. We had a Corsa that was ex-BSM and the dual controls had been removed before we bought it but the holes hadn’t been sealed.

if it has a sunroof check any drain holes.

If that all fails use an indie to trace it.

Thanks for your suggestions. Does the plastic area below the windscreen have to be removed? There has been a leaf build up to the left and right of the scuttle but that is with the scuttle in place.

Tracing water ingress on cars is a very time consuming process. I would think the dealer would remove all the load area trims and rear seats and carpet for inspection. However, I’d start by checking the drains on the scuttle by the windscreen wipers before anything else.

Thanks for your suggestions. Does the plastic area below the windscreen have to be removed? There has been a leaf build up to the left and right of the scuttle but that is with the scuttle in place.

Wiper arms will need to be removed for access.

Thanks.

Thanks.

One last question. Is the scuttle below the windscreen sealed in any way?

Thanks.

No , it’s not a weather tight seal . Once the wiper arms and the securing clips are removed, it should just pull away from the gutter at the base of the screen . Remove it slowly and carefully.
No , it’s not a weather tight seal . Once the wiper arms and the securing clips are removed, it should just pull away from the gutter at the base of the screen . Remove it slowly and carefully.

Thank you.

Ford Focus 2016 - Wet footwells. - Andrew-T

My Peugeot 207 collected water in the rear footwell, found to be getting in at a wiring grommet near the tailgate hinges. Any chance of that ?

EDIT - as you mentioned REAR footwells specifically, it seems unlikely to me that the source will be at the front of the car ? Can't speak for Fords, but Peugeots usually have a significant hump between front and rear, if only to support the front seats.

Edited by Andrew-T on 26/04/2024 at 12:35

Ford Focus 2016 - Wet footwells. - edlithgow

As has been said, tracing and stopping water leaks can be tricky, but meantime its fairly straightforward to reduce their consequences by removing floor and other drain plugs, so the drains actually. like, drain.

I was able to decimate the frog population in my sills by this simple expedient.

Lack of the plugs wasn't really an issue unless driving through standing water, but I wired flattened drink cans in place, mostly to inhibit rat ingress, but they also prevented water splashing upwards while still allowing drainage.

I also removed the carpets, and lost them.

Nasty things anyway, but most people seem to like them.

Ford Focus 2016 - Wet footwells. - Rerepo

Common problem on Focus. Vents behind the rear bumper let water in and it makes its way through body box sections to rear and front footwells. Remove rear bumper and reseal vents with body sealant.