Second hand estate - ElHombre

In the near future I'll be replacing my current car, a mk2 Zafira.

I'll want a conventional estate, diesel and manual.

Due to certain limitations my research has led me to a shortlist of four possibles

Mk2 Seat Leon 2.0tdci

Mk2 Skoda Octavia 2.0tdci

Mk2 Peugeot 308sw 2.0 blue hdi

Ford Fiesta 1.5 tdci

In a nutshell the Leon and Octavia are pretty much in the same basket, although the Octavia tailgate is a better shape.

I know the 2.0hdi in the Peugeot, having had the engine in another car for eight yrars, I'm wary of the AdBlue system.

Disinclined to the Ford given the 1.6 engine, all things being equal I'd rather have a 2.0.

Any thoughts on these please, plus or minus points, things to be aware of or avoid?

Anything would be helpful.

Second hand estate - Big John

Why just diesel? Older diesels cars but young enough to have an early implementation can be trouble, also look out for DPF delete cars as they are illegal to use and will fail an MOT if spotted. How many miles a year do you do?

Edited by Big John on 10/05/2024 at 18:48

Second hand estate - badbusdriver

Couple of points, first is a question re your thread title and the inclusion of a Ford Fiesta?

Second one is that I'm fairly certain the 2nd gen Leon did not come as an estate (at least not in the UK).

But as we are talking about a car which (going by the 2nd gen Octavia anyway) is going to be between 11 and 20 years old, luck, along with whatever you have near you is going to play a major part.

Auto correct and no proof reading included Fiesta instead of Focus.

Yes, local availability is one of the criteria that led to this list, I'm in Spain. That might too explain why the inclusion of the Leon might not make sense.

As for mileage, plenty enough and of the right type for a diesel. Regarding DPF, having one in the Zafira I'm practiced at managing it.

Second hand estate - Big John

Of that list I'd prefer the mkII Octavia - the load area is huge and the 2.0 CR diesel is a good engine - getting on a bit though.

Second hand estate - alan1302

What about a Dacia Logan?

Ok. Logan doesn't come with circa 150bhp, the others do.

Regards previous owners, a drive shows a lot and connection to diagnostics much, much more.

That's not to say there is nothing to be wary of (see my comment re AdBlue) but just because it's diesel doesn't mean it's something to be scared of

I like the 2.0CR too, hence the Leon.

Second hand estate - expat

As for mileage, plenty enough and of the right type for a diesel. Regarding DPF, having one in the Zafira I'm practiced at managing it.

You might be doing the right mileage and type for a diesel but did the previous owners? Secondhand diesels are a lottery with a good chance of losing all your money. Stick to petrol.