Tyre advice please. - KB
Following on from the earlier tyre topic. I gather that Protyre and Micheldever are part of the same group and rang my local Protyre. I asked for prices for 4 tyres balanced, fitted with VAT and valves. They suggest ,for my old Maestro, either Firestone 590's £130(£120 at a push), or for £110 (£100 if I ask nicely) they'll fit Kumho's or Falcon 590's.

Does anyone have experience of either the Kumho or the Falcon. I'd be pleased to hear of your views if you have. Thanks.

KB.
Re: Tyre advice please. - Trevor Potter
Checkout www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/tests.asp

EVERYBODY should know about this website!!
Re: Tyre advice please. - KB
I have looked there, but is doesn't say too much about those particular tyres. Thanks anyway.

However, I apologise for mis-spelling FALCON. It should be FALKEN.

KB.
Re: Tyre advice please. - John S
KB

Original thought would be to suggest the Firestones are worth the extra, as I'm doubtful about some of the far-east tyres which are not made in Europe. Hoever, I believe Falken are made by one of the big European companies, so must be worth a look - can anyone confirm that? The country of manufacture will be shown on the tyre.

Regards

John
Re: Tyre advice please. - Flat in Fifth
Japan, Ohtsu rubber company Dunlop technology
Re: Tyre advice please. - doug_r1
I had Kumho on a Citroen BX and they were suprisingly brilliant. My first instinct was to change them as it wasn't a name I was familiar with, but they performed as well as the Goodyears I have on my Xantia now.
Re: Tyre advice please. - David W
KB,

With respect to Doug....

Firestone aren't the no.1 choice for most folks but they are a major brand with average to good performance at a budget price.

The others you mention are black and go round!

The set of F590s we put on the Polo earlier in the year have been fine and far better than the Far East mixture fitted when we bought it. Paid about the same price as you mention for the set.

David
Re: Tyre advice please. - doug_r1
Didn't Ford have a problem with Firestones in the USA?

My Kumhos stuck like glue at 70+ which is all you can ask of a tyre. I don't believe in buying cheap tyres, which is why I've got new H rated Goodyears on my old Xantia, but the Kumhos were dependable and I felt safe when making rapid progress :-)
Re: Tyre advice please. - David Millar
Don't remember the type no. now but I had Kumhos on an Audi coupe which were excellent in the dry but decidedly hairy on greasy roads. I have seen similar comments elsewhere on the web.

Given the prices quoted, I'd have thought Pirelli 1000/2000s were within a similar range and good for this type of workaday motor.

David
Re: Tyre advice please. - DBE
The Kumho's I had on my ford Scorpio were fine except for one thing - the tramlining was dreadful!
Re: Tyre advice -twit-fit - Derek
I am a little concerned about the twit-fit own brand tyres on my son'e Civic. They haven't given him a problem in the 5000 or so miles he's done since he bought them, but then he probably hasn't had to use them in extreme conditions. Any suggestions, possibly from people who have used them?
Re: Tyre advice -twit-fit - Trevor Potter
Not personally, but I know someone who does:-

Kwik-Fit Centaur Supreme

Reviewers at Auto Express (08/00) were surprised at just how badly this tyre performed, especially as it was one of the most expensive in the test. Overall, it came last in the test rankings, and was rated worst in half of the test's categories. Its best performance was for rolling resistance, when it came fifth.
Re: Tyre advice -twit-fit - Ross D
Glad it's not my imagination about Kwik fit's own brand tyres.

The previous owner had a set fitted on my 16v Corrado. There not to bad in the dry but you can tell there not great, push too hard at even a gentle corner and you can tell there not happy bunnies.

The real concern for me is in the wet, the lightest of rain makes my car understeer like crazy. Thought it was just the car (big heavy VW).

Can anyone recomend any tyres that would suit my car?

Cheers
Ross
Trouble is, there is NO perfect tyre.

Rate these in order of priority and we MAY have a shortlist.

Comfort - Wear - Dry road grip/braking - ditto Wet - rolling resistance - price.
Re: Tyre advice -twit-fit - Richard Turpin
Having looked at Trevor's web site, Matador tyres seem cheap and reasonably good all round. I had never heard of them before.
Re: Tyre advice -twit-fit - KB
Thanks for all your advice. I got a very brief email reply back from Micheldever Tyres today in answer to my request for details of 155 80R 13 tyres suitable for my purpose. It reads as follows........

"Most manufactures make a tyre in 155/80R13
The prices start at £21.08 and go to £33.42
All prices include valve, balance VAT and disposal
Thank you"

This is not at all in keeping with the pricing from PROTYRES today. They started at £110 (for 4) for the budget brands and went onwards and upwards from there. And I thought that Micheldever was part of the PROTYRES group. On this basis Micheldever is a good bit cheaper. I'm going past Winchester next week and will stop off and get fixed up.

KB.
What can I tell you?

my set of 4 cost about £100 EACH.
Re: Tyre advice -twit-fit - KB
Thanks again to all who responded. I've put the outcome on to the earlier post "cost of tyres" by Robin.

KB.