Returning to the UK - Andy Bairsto
After many years in Germany family circumstances force me to return to the UK .My question is where can I find a good gas convertor firm in the north of England for my Explorer and roughly what is the cost.
Thank you
Re: Returning to the UK - geoff
Andy
Welcome back to Gods County.
You could try Priory Garages in Sunny Darras Hall ponteland.
Part of North East Coop so if any thing wrong you should have some come back.
I think HJ also advises some one in Thirsk
Try FAQs
Re: Returning to the UK - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
Andy - just make sure you find a decent convertor as the Explorer has a plastic inlet manifold/plenum which isn't that durable when the engine backfires.

I know someone who had an Explorer gassed up, it became known as the "Exploder"

Inlet maniold/plenum for an Explorer? £600+

Just be careful m8
Re: Returning to the UK - Keith
Find the place in Thirsk - Just search Google

They were extremely proffesional and helpful when I looked into converting my Mondeo.

Turns out the 1.8 petrol w/o hydraulic tappets is not suited to a conversion without having expensive valve seat replacement. They told me this by passing on a copy of a Ford technical bulletin.
Re: Returning to the UK - Vlad's Mum
Andy,

I always thought that the converters were very good in Germany ? Is this not the case ? I assume that this is the car that you have in Germany ?

Even failing that, I assume that you will be driving back, and assuming that could include the Netherlands, then there most certainly are some good converters there.

Or am I missing something ?

On another subject, I assume that there is not much point in dropping into your bar to claim my free beer in a couple of weeks ?
Re: Returning to the UK - Ronnie Courtney
Dr Dave

History repeats itself - the British experimental submarine, HMS EXPLORER, powered by the same hydrogen peroxide that was used in the torpedo system that seems most likely to have caused the Russian submarine KURSK to sink, was always known as HMS EXPLODER - for very similar reasons.

Ronnie
Re: Returning to the UK - Dave
Quick word of advice Andy
IF YOU GAS THE EXPLORER MAKE SURE WHAT IS BEING FITTED IS A GOOD QUALITY MULTIPOINT SYSTEM DO NOT FIT A SINGLE POINT SYSTEM
Basically a single point system will in the end have a backfire resulting in a new inlet manifold for you, maybe not immediately but it will happen manifolds are around £800+vat they are made very very poorlyand will if not already have inlet leaks leading to weak mixture and expensive backfire
If you use a multipoint system you cant have backfires!!!
the closest result is a misfire no real major problem
any lpga approved installer in the north should be able to give you a good and reliable service
expect to pay somewhere around £1800+vat anything less and you will be getting singlepoint if this is too expensive buy another car or DONT GAS IT!!!!!
feel free to email me to check which systems are good there are some cheap and rubbish multipoint systems out there or ask DR DAVE he will contact me
pick something like Prins, Vialle, BRC or powertorques SGI
if its cheap best leave it alone
regards Dave
Re: Returning to the UK - Andy Bairsto
Thank you Dave I have contacted you of forum
I'll ring him up to get him to check his mail Andy - he's always busy!
thanks
Nice reply there Dave

Thx
Re: Returning to the UK - paul
Ref converting outside UK. I believe the filling connector over here is unique & non UK conversions can't fill up in UK.
Correct Paul
The Germans use a fitting called the Acme fitting it was until recently very common in this country so adapters are readily available to the Dutch bayonet
but the LPGA do not recomend the use of adapters so this will cause problems when your insurance company ask for a certificate of compliance which can only be issued by an LPGA approved installer
but its no big deal because you can always have the fitting changed to the uk standard the parts about £30 and it shouldnt take an hour to fit
Dave
Re: Returning to the UK - Tomo
Andy,

Commiserations!

Tomo
Re: Returning to the UK - Brian
Tomo
Seconded.
Fancy having to come back through circumstances beyond your control, just when everybody else (apart from asylum seekers) is trying to get out!
Re: Returning to the UK - Brill
Andy,

Will you be opening a UK branch of The Skorpion?

It could be the venue for the long-awaited Backvroom [sic] get together.

Stu.
Re: Returning to the UK - Nick
How crazy is this? So European motorists who have LPG cars and come here for holidays cannot gas up? Whatever happened to harmonisation?
since all the gas equipment came from either holland or italy its no great surprise that adapters are available from one to the other the uk has only recently standardised to the dutch bayonet so there are a lot of cars running around the uk with all the different types of fillers the lpga dont like it but it happens
dave
Re: Returning to the UK - Brian
Ah, but at least the bananas and cucumbers will all be the same shape!