Golf central locking bounces - UKC32
Small but irritating problem on a Mk 1V Golf.
Lock the doors from outside with a key - all 5 lock perfectly. Do it with the button inside the car, and the front passenger door (only) bounces open again. You have to hit the button on the 'rebound' with perfect timing to get all doors to lock.
I can't figure out why this happens, so I don't know how to stop it.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Re: Golf central locking bounces - P Mason
Sorry, can't help, as I have the same problem, except that the control will only work inside the car, and all the locks close and bounce open again when the plip is operated.
Ain't technology wonderful!
P.
Re: Golf central locking bounces - Todd
Sounds like a bad ground connection somewhere. A trick to boost the range of the plip is to stick it under the chin. The body then acts as an antenna.
Re: Golf central locking bounces - Chad.R
I think it may be that the central locking is out of sync - ie the passenger door may have been ajar when you locked the car last and now that door is "out of sync" with the others - similar thing happens on BMWs.

The owners manual should show you how to re-syncronise them. ( It does in my BMW owners manual)

Chad.R
Re: Golf central locking bounces - Andy P
Does it have ultrasound sensors inside the car? If so, this may be a safety feature to prevent you locking someone inside.

Andy
Re: Golf central locking bounces - Ian Cook
I had a similar problem with the Xantia when I first got it - the locks would spring open again when the plipper was used. I traced the problem on this car to a sticking door lock button on the driver's side (caused by the trim panel not being properly clicked into place, and slightly restricting the locking button).

It appears that the alarm, or locking sensor, thought that the door wasn't shut properly, and so refused to lock it. Freeing up the locking button cured the problem.

I don't know if the Golf has any similarities, but it's maybe worth a look.

Ian
Re: Golf central locking bounces - Lee
A work-around the problem could be to disconnect the hatch from the central locking if that's an option, and see if the reduced total current brings an improvement.

The solenoids that operate the door locks are wire coils that generate a magnetic field when fed with a current and that magnetism pulls at an iron plunger which is linked to the lock mechanism.

If there's insufficient current because the voltage is too low or it's not supplied for long enough, there won't be enough pull to operate the plunger. In that case, a good blast down into the mechanism with electical contact cleaner might clear any excess friction, otherwise it's time to test the connections and the solenoid.

The opposite is also true of solenoids, that applying (or removing) a magnetic field through them will generate a current. So that if one door mechanism is a bit slow, it's possible that the currents by the others when they stop are feeding into that solenoid, and since those currents are opposed to the currents fed into the solenoids to generate the magnetic field the effect would be retard or reverse the movement of the plunger. Proper grounding should prevent this, but if there's only solenoid per lock, then the expectation is that they'll be operated in both directions and accept current applied either way.
Re: Golf central locking bounces - AndyS
Lee:
Are you sure about this information? All the VW systems I have seen are pneumatic, operating from an air pump in the boot.

Andy
Re: Golf central locking bounces - Lee
Hands up, I don't know about Golfs specifically, I just know about electronics and thought the work-around idea might be useful.

I shouldn't have assumed that the Golf uses solenoids for the central locking and I agree that my reply sounds as though I was implying that it does.

Apologies to you and UKC32.
Thanks for responses - UKC32
Many thanks to all who posted.
Can't check any of your suggestions as the car is away (with handbook) until tomorrow, but I'll notify the winner (if there is one) by post.
Otherwise its a rollover to next Wednesday...
Re: Thanks for responses - AndyS
Apologies to you, not trying to do a big put-down, just trying to avoid creating a wild goose-chase for the myteriously named UKC32.

btw UKC32 - University of Kent at Canmterbury? or something else?
Re: Thanks for responses - UKC32
Flattery!

Mid-Essex Technical College actually, now the University of Chelmsford or some such nonsense.

I suppose I could write all sorts of rubbish (as usual) about my Dad AKG51; but the truth is boringly simple. I started posting last year on US based Mercedes discussion sites where everyone has a silly name. I have a silly name too (Guy) but not quite as silly as the ones they were using, which were all car based.

So, I drive a C32 and I'm from the UK, put the two together and it just kind of stuck for car boards.
Re: Thanks for responses - Ian Cook
Crikey, Guy - I thought the C32 was a Citroen that I'd missed, but then I did a search on Google and discovered that it was a tasty looking AMG Merc. Very nice. What colour?

Ian
Re: Thanks for responses - UKC32
It's called Tansanite blue (dark metallic blue). MB have all these cheesy semi-precious gem names for their colours these days.
Just wanted something that was different from the traditional silver.