Honda Deauville 650 2003 - Greg R
Does anyone own this motorcycle? I have found that the gears are quite heavy compared to my other motorbike - is this normal for the deauville or is it a wearing out clutch?

Thanks
Greg
Honda Deauville 650 2003 - Guzzi Steve
Hi Greg.I own a NTV650,the predecessor to the Deuville.Tis pretty much the same mechanically,sans the fairing.Yes.I would say that the gears can be a bit agricultural,not all that bad though.All things being relative.Especially when my other bike is a twenty seven year old Guzzi.
Good practical bikes NTV/Deuvilles/Which is a rare thing these days.
Honda Deauville 650 2003 - nb857
(Repeated post deleted - PU)

I had a day rding on the back of a Dullsville (as my brother calls them and it was an ace pillion bike.

As for the transmission being "agricultural", I beg to differ. At no point did I notice that the rider had a choice of up to 32 forward gears available for him to select at any time under load without clutching at the touch of a button which actuated microprocessor controlled oil immersed clutch packs giving a perfect shift every time. Nor did I notice that the Deuville had a infinately variable transmission that was linked to the ECU that could give a completely seamless change of speed from 0kph to top speed. The transmission on the bike was also unable to keep to a pre-set speed no matter the revs, nor could it be programmed to keep the engine at either full load or at the most economical engine setting for that load. So no, the NTV/ Deutvilles transmissions isn't the slightest bit "agricultural", it's got about 40 years of catching up to do before that! :-)
Honda Deauville 650 2003 - happytorque
If your other bike is a Suzuki / Yamaha / Kawasaki the Deauville will feel heavy / clunky.
If your other bike is a Honda, its going to feel normal.
If your others bike is an old BMW then your Honda is going to feel really sweet in comparison.
Eerm...when you say 'gears are quite heavy'....do you mean the gear selection....or do you actually mean the clutch action?
Honda Deauville 650 2003 - Vansboy
Give Nick a call at www.forcemotorcycles.com he knows his stuff & pretty much a Honda expert.

Looks like he's got some police ones in stock too - if you're not too far maybe you could try one to compare?

VB
Honda Deauville 650 2003 - Greg R
Thanks

I have e-mailed force, so just waiting for a reply.

The clutch lever is fine. But changing gear is not as smooth as any of mine/sisters bike - even the CG125 is nicer. I am not sure if it is a feature of the bike. It is agricultural' no doubt. Neutral is only able to be engaged from 2nd at standstill - when moving it gets into neutral more easily from 1st and 2nd.

Greg
Honda Deauville 650 2003 - Guzzi Steve
Sounds about par for the course.That's how my bike is,some days are better than others ?How many miles has it done?Mine has 20 thousand miles on it.You could try on here. www.deauvilleuk.org/ I've heard using fully synthetic oil can help.I think it's just how the bikes are.
Honda Deauville 650 2003 - happytorque
What type and grade of oil are you using in the engine. Too heavy a grade and your neutral selection will get tricky
Honda Deauville 650 2003 - Gregory II
Hi
I am still having issues changing down to Neutral on my deauville, and although adjusting the clutch cable did help a little, it is still very tricky to change to neutral.

What might the cause of this be?

I use semi synthetic engine oil. To be honest though, it has been doing this all the time. Could it be something as simple as the gear link?

Thanks
Greg
Is it worth changing the clutch. Would this work in making it shift better or is there a simpler approach to this problem>?
I have looked in the manual, and I am guessing the problem is going to be internal. What components from experience makes it hard to engage neutral in a motorbike gearbox. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Greg