"Safety Cameras" - Phil Ireland
Theres a saying 'if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck'!!!!!
MBRM will be pleased to learn that speed cameras are to be renamed.

Phil I.
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Brian
Oh good, all the arguments about speed cameras can be repeated about "Safety Cameras"!
:-(
Re: "Safety Cameras" - J Bonington Jagworth
Does that mean that they will henceforth measure safety, then? Sounds more like that old dictum to rename things that are unpopular rather than actually do anything about them. Remember Windscale...?
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Trevor Potter
Consignia?

New Labour?

(oooh! handbags!!)
Re: "Safety Cameras" - John Regin
Windscale?

Jack
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Ian L
Now called Sellafield after a fire in the 1950s
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Pat
I think it was called Calder Hall originally, then Windscale, then Sellafield.

Pat
Re: "Safety Cameras" - John S
Pat

Calder Hall was the name of the first UK nuclear power station, situated on the Windscale/Sellafield site.

Remember that - opened by the Queen, and promises of 'endless supplies of electricity too cheap to meter!'

Regards

John
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Phil Ireland
sorry folks should have given link to news item

www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_577503.html

JBJ u hit the nail on the head.

Phil I
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Honest John
The law will have to be changed. "Safety Cameras" are not mentioned. Excellent grounds for getting off on a technicality. Michael Shrimpton is going to have a field day in court.

HJ
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Todd
As you enter Northamptonshire from surrounding counties, there are orange speed camera signs with words next to it "safety cameras in operation". They've been there for about a year. The sign used to be "Northamptonshire, rose of the shires".
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Simon Butterworth
Which route into the county is that?

Genuine interest in my adopted rose, circumstances having removed me from the original (white) rose of the shires.
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Flat in Fifth
Maybe HM Govt is following the trend.

Oil of Ulay > Oil of Olay
Jif > Cif

Come on you knew it had to happen one day ;-)

Still can't get used to calling Marathons Snickers though.
Re: "Safety Cameras" - CM
£ > ?
(off topic I know - sorry!)
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Tomo
When they do things like putting them at the middle of straights on single carriageway roads, forcing one to overtake near bends, I'd call them danger cameras. (In many of these cases, of course, they have really been put there as spoilsport cameras.)
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Trevor Potter
"forcing one to overtake near bends"

Inresting logic.

Funny, I have never been FORCED to overtake anytime, anywhere.
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Tomo
I just trust - not too hopefully - that you do not in pursuit of your principles try to stop others overtaking as some people, dangerously, do.
Re: "Safety Cameras" Tomo only to readOt - Alwyn
Tomo,

Seen this?

From "Northants on Sunday" April 21, 2002

DEATHS DOUBLE ON THE ROADS

The death toll on county roads since the start of the year is double the
same period last year.

Seventeen people have died in road accidents since January, a 112 per
cent increase on the first three months of 2001. the rise comes despite more
speed cameras being installed.

Police press officer Naomi Cooper said: "it is better to look at the
bigger picture. We are substantially down on figures of people killed and
seriously injured year on year.

"We tend to get peaks and troughs. This rise is not an indication that
speed cameras are failing. All sorts of factors have to be looked at.

She appealed for motorists to drive safely.

Ends ­

Copyright of "Northants on Sunday" and its publishers acknowledged
Re: "Safety Cameras" Tomo only to read. - Alwyn
Tomo,

Seen this?

www.northantsnew.co.uk/ref/main_letters.asp?ID=7643

Take care.

A.
Re: "Safety Cameras" - The
Trevor Potter wrote:
>
> Funny, I have never been FORCED to overtake anytime, anywhere.

But then again, we've read about you being "FORCED" to undertake in your lotus, fortunately only in one sense, but a close thing, eh?
Re: "Safety Cameras" Tomo only to read. - bob
oh goody...more camera statistics........
Re: "Safety Cameras" Tomo only to read. - The
bob wrote:
>
> oh goody...more camera statistics........

Here's some especially for you: 38-20-36

You seem to have trouble grasping the other kind, perhaps you will be able to get to grips with these.
Re: "Safety Cameras" Tomo only to read. - Marcus
Brian,

You were right. Alwyn and Bogush about to work up to full bore again!
Re: "Safety Cameras" Tomo only to read. - Alwyn
Marcus,

I did put a health warning" Tomo only to read" So why did you read it and then complain.

No interest, no read. Simple really.
Re: "Safety Cameras" Tomo only to read. - Marcus
Alwyn,
If you don't want the forum to read it, Email him.
Re: "Safety Cameras" Tomo only to read. - The
Funny, could have sworn it was someone other than Alwyn that had the problem regarding someone other than Tomo reading it.
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Methuselah
>Still can't get used to calling Marathons Snickers though

FIF Still can't get used to calling Crests Marathons though ..... plus ca change!
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Dave
Nuclear power aint dead JS!

In our old age we'll be driving Hydrogen cars and that Hydrogen will be coming from sea water with power created by nuclear energy!

As I understand it Trains are already effectively Nuclear powered! [1]

[1] I hope someone can confirm this for me - I hear dit on the radio and they didn't explain themsleves very well!
Never said it was, Dave. Note the current studies to recheck its financial viability. Certainly a low carbon dioxide technology, but never mentioned by the 'greens'.

Regards

John
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Brian
Trains which are electrically powered draw their supplies from the national grid, over twenty percent of whose generating capacity is nuclear.
Top-up supplies come from France, eighty percent of whose generating capacity is nuclear.
HTH
Brian

The UK/french link is capable of transmitting 2GW, equivalent to 1 large power statio eg Didcot. The electricity usually flows to the UK, because the French have a high percentage of nuclear on their system (but I'm not sure it's quite as high as 80%). Reactors can't be loaded and deloaded rapidly, so the electricity is priced to make it attractive so it sells and enables the plants to be left on load.

Winter Peak load in UK is about 50GW, minimum sumer load is maybe 15- 20 GW, so French elctricity can provide between 4 and 7.5% of our grid load.

Regards

John
Re: "Safety Cameras" - Flat in Fifth
John S wrote:
>
> transmitting 2GW, equivalent
> to 1 large power statio eg Didcot.

Didcot A = 2.035 GW coal/gas thermal
Didcot B = 1.350 GW CCGT

Just so the heathens understand John ;-)
Never said you said it was JS. ;-)
Re: "Safety Cameras" - J Bonington Jagworth
"Certainly a low carbon dioxide technology, but never mentioned by the 'greens'."

Well, there is the small problem with decommissioning, not to mention radioactive waste products with half-lives measured in millennia...
"Well, there is the small problem with decommissioning, not to mention radioactive waste products with half-lives measured in millennia..."

So, JBJ. If we don't go with Nuclear, and fossil fuels and oil run out what do we use? As I understanding it wind wave and solar would give us at best 20 per cent of our current needs *if* we literally covered the nation in windmills etc.

I reckon Nuclear *is* the fuel of the future.

Well until Dr Dave Lacey stops fiddling around with putting large engines in Metros and comes up with a perpetual motion machine!
Sources of power - J Bonington Jagworth
I think there is still quite a bit of oil left, although I grant you it will run out one day. However, that leaves plenty of time to find alternatives, and I seem to remember that the CEGB (as it then was) had quite advanced plans for renewable energy sources that were ditched when nuclear appeared on the scene. It can be done, but as with electric cars, the incentive isn't really there yet. Also, anyone who looks like succeeding gets stamped on - anyone remember the Salter Duck?

Nuclear fusion may well be the fuel of the future, but fissile materials are messy and horrible (remember Chernobyl and Three-Mile Island). Not to mention their potential as terrorist targets...
Re: Sources of power - Brian
Alwyn
I've written back to them on this, so watch that space!