5th Gear. - Dave
Ok, I'll start the inevitable thread!

Cracking show! A twin Kawasaki engined 'Tiger' being thrashed generally and being given on 0-60 run with Tif. Excellent fun and lot's irresponsible airfield shinnanigans from Mr. Needel. Cracking. The tiger has one 1200 enging powering the rear wheels and another powering the front. IIRC nearly 500 BHP in a Lotus 7 based chasis/body.

A dull bit about ford focus's or sommit.

Then a cracking report on road safety from Quentin. He explained some simply ways to imporve road safety by altering road layouts. Ought to have been dull but turned out be be great.

Despite the opinion of just about everyone else I reckon the BBC were stupid to let this team go!
Re: 5th Gear. - Flat in Fifth
I trust you noted Dave that this site got in the mensh about the Swedish experiment in 3 lane roads well well before Count Quentula.

HJ rules OK?
Re: 5th Gear. - Honest John
Yes, but Count Quentula got it on the telly and showed everyone prepared to watch that speed cameras are not the answer. Improving our roads is. Makes a complete joke of calling the stupid tin boxes "safety cameras". Top man for that. The Model T bit was quite good too.

HJ
Re: 5th Gear. - Alwyn
I was pleased to note the chap from the AA was all in favour of "engineering out" safety problems on some roads.

Anyone recall Penny Mallory doing a series on dangerous roads some time ago? Highways engineers can solve many of the dangers on ours roads if left alone and free of political interference.

This interference was confirmed to me by our own county Highways Engineer after a meeting about road safey where I represented our local council.
Re: 5th Gear. - Flat in Fifth
ALwyn,

That series of Penny's was excellent.

Do you remember the one about a dangerous junction and they were faffing about with white lines and bollards, when all it really wanted was a roundabout.

Problem was this one island would cost 30k which almost wiped out the entire county road safety budget in one hit.

Regds,
Stuart
Re: 5th Gear. - Dave
"The Model T bit was quite good too."

Forgotten that!

His mat black runaround was fantastic!
Re: FAO HJ: "HJ" trademark - 5th Gear. - JB
Someone mentioned this before:

The 5th gear logo (5speed gearlever gate) looks like a big "H" with a small "J" next to it.

If 5th gear have not registered it as their mark, perhaps HJ could register it as his own trademark to be used on the new website, D.tel and his stationery!

(This advice would cost thousands from an advertising agency)
Re: FAO HJ: "HJ" trademark - 5th Gear. - Honest John
Why would I want to half inch Quentin's logo?

HJ
Re: FAO HJ: "HJ" trademark - 5th Gear. - JB
Because it reads "HJ" and not "QW".
Re: FAO HJ: "HJ" trademark - 5th Gear. - ian (cape town)
Guaranteed QW would be wearing shades and a trilby, given half the chance...
:)
Re: 5th Gear. - Honest John
The other small problem about road improvements is they all seem to take 6 to 12 months. The reason for this is so that the crew of contractors can block pave everyone's driveway in the immediate vicinity of the road they are supposed to be working one. That's why most of the roadworks you see look like the Marie Celeste. A bit of urgent attention to the bribery and corruption involved in allocating road improvement contracts is required before more are contemplated. A small by-product of this could be that it will bring the price down. And we will see fewer undulating, be-puddled block-paved driveways.

HJ
Re: 5th Gear. - Mark (Brazil)
>>That's why most of the roadworks you see look like the Marie Celeste.

I know why that is, or at least, why it used to be.

They have a budget. Anything they don't spend, they have to give back. If a project is started though, all the money is counted as allocated.

Therefore, if they haven't got time to do all the jobs, but there is still money in the budget, and its approaching a new budget year, they run around and start all the jobs, thus ensuring they keep all the dosh.
Re: 5th Gear. - John Jones
First I've heard of a 4WD Tiger? The chap who speciallises in these conversions normally conbines the output from 2 gearboxes to drive the rear wheels!
Re: 5th Gear. - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
Did you see the hole in the engine block after the blow-up?

Who pays for that, I wonder?
Re: 5th Gear. - Dave
I'd have thought that'd be small beer to a man of your means DW!

JJ - it was 4WD. One engine front second rear.