Highway Code - Gary Bain
After an incident involving myself and a woman Volvo driver today I think it would be a good call for a Highway Code refresher test to be introduced to all drivers. After turning left onto a street which had cars parked on either side ie one lane only available I saw a Volvo driver reverse out of her drive saw me obviously waiting for her to drive back onto her drive to clear the road but no she continued to reverse then had the gaw to drive head on upto my car. She expected me to reverse directly onto a main road which had a blind corner ( difficult to get out of even if you were front facing) she sat in her car waiting waiting waiting for me to move. I jumped out of the car and asked her what the problem was, she said she would like me to reverse in order to clear her way obviously this would have been dangerous to myself and any on coming traffic she clearly did not have any idea what so ever. Incidents like this no doubt happen 1000's of times a day. Why don't the Police use the money from speeding offenses and retrain people to conduct themselves in the correct way when on the road?
Re: Highway Code - Bill
From your description, Gary, it sounds like the other offence was committed by people parking too close to the junction. Had they not been there, the two of you could have passed without problem. It happens all the time near me. Then there are the other people who park in such a way that a fire engine could not get through. I would not park like that out of the fear of having my car damaged by a passing truck, other don't seem to care about damage to their cars or the inconvenience to others.
Re: Highway Code - Gary Bain
Always a problem in our area yes drivers were at fault parking their cars to close to a junction. I followed a dustbin lorry down the same stretch of road the other day the bin men were having to fold back the door mirrors of a number of cars just to get their lorry past.
Re: Highway Code - Brian
If the road is really being reduced to a single lane then the Council should be looking at either making it one-way or else restricting parking to one side.
Good point, maybe it wasn't the Volvo's drivers fault after all, I should be aiming my point of view to the Council.
Re: Highway Code - Bill
not the council, Gary, the people who parked there. The highway code is quite clear about parking.
Re: Highway Code - Darcy Kitchin
Gary

What happened after you spoke to the woman? There's only half a story here.
SHe eventually reversed but struggled handling the big Volvo Estate, obviously no PAS.
Re: Highway Code - Honestjohn
Near where I live, some people park both sides of a narrow road because they have to. But we're all neighbours so we work our way around it. The problems come from rich bitches who park their Mercs on the double yellow lines either side of the entrance to the road just to visit a posh frock shop there. I have a very old car that really wouldn't mind taking a door off one of those Mercs.

HJ
Re: Highway Code - The
Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the parking that was the situation you both found youselves in.

She should not have been reversing out of her drive.

And she certainly should not have been expecting you to reverse out of a minor road into a major one.

Nor should she have been driving a volvo on more than just those counts by the sounds of it.

PS How wide are the pavements?

PPS Reminds me of the time I was driving down a snow covered road that had obviously been originally travelled in my direction. The next car to come the other way had used one of the tracks created at a narrowish stretch, and produced a third with its nearside wheels. Everyone else had followed in these three tracks leaving four high mounds of snow flanking the three ruts, and all later traffic no option but to follow in them.

I was nearly through the section when another driver (ok, it was a woman;-)approached from the opposite direction and continued onto "my" tracks on "my" side of the road (also I was going uphill, with a continuous line of parked cars on my side, and intermittently parked cars on hers.

Would she budge?

I eventually had to slither over the mounds, between her parked cars, and along her pavement to get round her!:-(
Re: Highway Code - Richard Turpin
Some men are still nice to women, particularly when they are having trouble turning a steering wheel without power steering. You stood by your rights. You even got out to give her your opinion. all you had to do was back up a bit without hitting anyone else and let her out. It seems clear that you were not willing to try. Perhaps you are not a good enough driver.
I know you. You sit in the outside lane at 70 because you are right and everybody else is wrong. One day you will need someone's help. Perhaps they will help you.
Re: Highway Code - The
> had cars parked on either side ie one lane only available I saw a Volvo driver reverse out of her drive saw me obviously waiting for her to drive back onto her drive to clear the road but no she continued to reverse then had the gaw to drive head on upto my car. She expected me to reverse directly onto a main road which had a blind corner ( difficult to get out of even if you were front facing)

Did I mis-read that then?
Re: Highway Code - vin
Dick,

Read the tale.

He was being asked to reverse onto a major road, i.e. do something illegal.

She was being asked to stay on her drive, i.e. do something courteous.
Re: Highway Code - bob
yes and all caused by a group of people doing something equally illegal, parking too close to the junction.

I don't buy the "they had too park there" story either. Who forced them? They chose to park there because it suited them. They could have parked elsewhere but it would probably have caused them to walk further. Parking outside your own house is not the citizens right that some people feel it is.

I agree with Gary's original post - compulsive refresher tests on the highway code.
Re: Refresher tests - Carole
Call me an old cynic, but I don't think that refresher tests would necessarily solve the problem. Anyone can pass a test to the standard required by jumping through the required hoops (the lady in question obviously did) but that doesn't mean to say that makes you a fault-free driver. Driving mistakes are made because of a variety of reasons, including simple thoughtlessness, and passing any amount of tests won't cure the thoughtless driver. (Don't get me started on people who don't indicate properly). If the mistake is caused by ignorance, then yes, a refresher test would do it (even if only temporarily).

And far be it from me to comment on contributors' keyboard skills because I've made my own share of typing mistakes, but actually I quite fancy taking a compulsive test!

Carole
Re: Refresher tests - David W
Hello Carole,

How are all those wonderful Citroen's?

David
Re: Citroens - Carole
Hello David.

Thanks for asking, but don't ask!

Carole