Insurance & renewal - martint123
Got renewal from Carole Nash this morning. £177 up from £168 last year.

I remember seeing someone mention an offer at Bennets on MSE and had a look there.
12 months cover for 9 months cost as a credit crunch breaker.

Got a quote for £106 for what looks like similar cover - a slightly greater excess though.

So, R1 + SLR650, fully comp, protected NCD. Ancient git, loads of NCD, garaged, alarmed (on R1) rural postcode. DOC

www.bennetts.co.uk/12for9/

It's a brave biker out in this weather today - the lad down the road on his scooter got about 3 yards out of his shed before he fell off (gently!). They have no idea of physics or mortality - just wacked the throttle to the stop and the inevitable happened.
Insurance & renewal - 1400ted
They all seem to put it up at renewal...I think they hope you won't be bothered to shop around. I was with Bennetts last year and they really upped it at renewal, not for any reason connected with me.
I went on Compare the Market and got it down to double figures with Hastings. We'll see what happens this year
Honda FJS600 Silverwing.
Ted
Insurance & renewal - happytorque
How do you find the SLR 650?
I bought a brand new one in 1997. It was black with a purple seat, frame no. 00033 so one of the first.
Loved the feel of it, the great engine and the big polished stainless pipes sounded really nice.
Trouble was, the seat was quite narrow and im pretty heavy at 16 stones.
The narrow seat seemed to cut of the blood supply to my nether regions and each time I got off the thing I found i couldnt walk properly for the first five minutes.
Managed the grand total of 1,200 miles on it and we had to say goodbye. Lost a fortune on it in part chop for a Bandit.
How do you find the SLR 650?

I enjoy it. A late '98, Yellow with black/purple seat. I bought it from someone who had trouble reaching the ground with both feet and have since put 25,000 miles on it.

Fortunately the tank only gives around a 100 mile range and this gives a rest for the posterior because as you say, the seat is like a narrow plank. It goes through chainsand rear tyres faster than the R1, presumably due to its low end grunt and the traffic light GP.

With decent tyres on it, along with some of the less well surfaced East Yorkshire lanes it can upset some of those sportier machines with stiff suspension. Much less of a license loser as well.

Spanish built, so the build quality compared to other Hondas seems a bit on the dodgy side.
Insurance & renewal - Pugugly
My near neighbour's brother passed me in the village - riding his FJ1300 in thick snow - he's a very experienced rider and slightly mad !

Carole Nash have superb customer service - phoned them today to sort my insurance (which will expire when I'm away) an additional £18.00 will see me fully comp in Turkey. Very pleasant, helpful service.
Although it took months and a number of calls for them to get the second bike on my policy on the MID database - so my experience of them wasn't as pleasant as yours.