Lightest most economical and comfortable? - John F
I am thinking of getting a bike but know nothing much about them. Always wanted one but never allowed as youngster - parents thought I would probably kill myself; most bikers seem to know someone who has.

As I am tall and thin [65kg] and now over 50 I want a tall but light bike with a smooth small engine that doesn't vibrate. Not bothered about top speed as will only use for fun/touring. As long as it will do 80mph on the flat thats OK. Must have excellent fuel economy. Not bothered about make as, like cars, I guess they are all pretty reliable these days. Possibly now even more likely to kill myself but hey, que sera......!!

I would be very grateful for any suggestions. Anything up to 5yrs old considered.
Lightest most economical and comfortable? - 1400ted
Hi John,
I'd perhaps go with something a bit faster than 80. My BMW R45 would on just touch 80, which was fine for most trips but I did find, loaded with camping gear on long uphill stretches of Continental motorway, I was in 3rd gear a lot of the time and felt I was holding the others back
One bike that springs to mind which might meet your criteria is the Honda Transalp. One of the guys in our club is quite tall and has a gammy leg and he loves it.
Good luck biking and keep the shiny side up
Ted
Lightest most economical and comfortable? - ironclad
I had a Transalp for a couple of years - Honda quality build, high saddle, gutsy V-twin engine, stable rather than agile with large pseudo off-road wheels, 55mpg, low insurance. You could also consider the smaller BMW singles and twins or the Japanese street 600s - Suzuki Bandit, Honda CBF, Yamaha Diversion - all plenty fast enough, smooth, easy to ride, with or without fairings, relatively cheap to buy and run. Or a Triumph twin.
Lightest most economical and comfortable? - happytorque
I'll second the Transalp. Good choice.
Lightest most economical and comfortable? - Clanger
Include a Suzuki V-Strom 650 in your list. I test-rode a Transalp for a couple of hours and I couldn't get comfortable for an unexplained reason. Returned it with backache. Spent my hard-earned on a V-Strom which might tick most of the OP's boxes. Also note that the Transalp has wire wheels. For ease of cleaning, I prefer the V-Strom's 3-spoke cast wheels.
Lightest most economical and comfortable? - Sheepy-by-the-Sea
Another vote here for the Suzuki DL650 V-Strom 650 - fits your requirements exactly.

I had one for two years from new, used for commuting every day. Returned 50-60mpg, low insurance group, great fun to ride, smooth and willing v-twin engine, excellent pillion accommodation, good tyre life (one of the biggest expenses on bikes).

One of the biggest mistakes I've made was to trade it in, it was such a good fit for my needs and never showed a hint of going wrong.

Have a go on one on the motorway before you buy - it'll cruise all day at 80 or more but many riders, myself included, suffer from wind buffeting - others think it's fine. That was the main reason I traded in, but it was a small price to pay for all the good points.
Many thanks to you all so far - I am grateful for all your helpful hints. I thought wire wheels were only seen on pedal cycles these days! I'll keep a watch on this thread in case anyone else has any other suggestions.........I don't know how long the moderator keeps them going for.
Lightest most economical and comfortable? - cbxsix
Have you thought about the Kawasaki Versys?

650 paralell twin, tall seat, light weight, very economical (I get 60mpg) and Very Good Fun!
Lightest most economical and comfortable? - John R @ home {P}
Hi John F,

Sorry to be a bit of a damper on your enthusiasm and everyone's recommendations.

Are you or will you be a Learner on a Motor Cycle? A full UK Car License will only cover you for a Moped or provisional for a limited(?) 125cc (please check current legislation for full details).

If, as you say, you have never had a bike, you will need to go on starter training courses and pass the 2 part test etc. before you get to throw a decent sized bike round the bendy bits.

It is worth the effort though ;¬)

John R

Lightest most economical and comfortable? - doug_r1
This tells you what you can ride as a learner: www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers...8

I'd suggest you take training and see if you actually like the reality of riding a bike, it will also give you a basis for evaluating what bike you will need once you've passed your test.
Yes, fully aware of requirements so no dampener - and thanks for the helpful website. I'm sure I shall enjoy......if and when I eventually get round to it!
Lightest most economical and comfortable? - Derfel
There is a good head to head comparision between two of the bikes mentioned in this thread, the Honda Transalp and the Suzuki V-Strom, in the current (February 2009) edition of Ride magazine. The March issue of the magazine is not due out until February 18, so there should be a few copies still on the shelves.
Lightest most economical and comfortable? - catcher
John
Last year, at the age of 52, I did my CBT. Like you I had always fancied a bike but never quite got round to it. I thoroughly enjoyed the CBT and went on to do the DAS, which involved two days training, and passed my test on the third day. I originally fancied something like a 250 (not knowing anything about bikes) but everyone said a larger bike would be better. I eventually bought a Honda CBF 600, and although not the style you are looking for, it's ideal for me - plenty of acceleration when you need it and easy to ride. It also seems to be doing around 55mpg, which is fine.
I wish I'd done it years ago - good luck!
Lightest most economical and comfortable? - joc
BMW F650GS. And the Dakar version is slightly taller. Single cyl, but not as vibey as you might think. Comfy yes, economical yes. I get 80mpg all the time, and last summer with a very patient right hand I got 91mpg over a 285 mile tankful! For a real world blend of usability/economy, I don't think anything comes close. Mine now has 62,000 miles - again, that's some going and, although some cycle parts are prone to early wear (wheel & steering head bearings), the motor just keeps going...
Joc