122 mph biker punished. - zookeeper
chap gets 6 months in stir for speeding with 14 year old pillion on board ....
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7918212.stm

his exuse for speeding was it had started raining !!!

Subject line amended

Edited by Pugugly on 02/03/2009 at 12:42

122 mph biker punished. - FotheringtonThomas
I see the title has changed! Greasy lot on'em, anwyat, with their black leather jackets and motorcycle boots.... however, I digress.

I just wondered what the sentence might be for a car driver speeding under similar circumstances. Just wondering, that's all, no niggle or axe to grind.
122 mph biker punished. - Bill Payer
his exuse for speeding was it had started raining !!!

Reminds me of a guy who led the Police a merry dance around here until his engine conked out - he was rushing from one pub to another before closing time!

BBC Lunchtime news just showed a car driving down the same road as the biker but with the film speeded up to look like 122MPH - still didn't look fast.
122 mph biker punished. - john farrar
6 months is totally OTT.
Was anyone hurt?
The rider wasn't a serial offender.Yes he was stupid and deserves a lengthy ban and big fine, but how does 6 months inside(alright probably 3) do anyone any good. Is the idea to set an "example"?
He could probably have mugged a few people, burgled a few houses and still got no prison sentence.
Crazy.
122 mph biker punished. - craig-pd130

The punishment does not fit the crime at all.

But 120+ on a wet single-carriageway (according to the still pics I've seen) in any circumstances is utter madness.
122 mph biker punished. - SlidingPillar
The film that was shown on the lunchtime news was about 50mph looking at the angle of lean.

Whilest a biker wearing the right gear can have an accident at a big speed and walk way (if they don't hit road furniture) the 14 year old was apparently wearing little other than a crash helmet. If that is the case, then the sentence is lenient...
122 mph biker punished. - Stuartli
The "hands up in the air" brigade would be shocked to learn that my late father, a highly experienced bike and car driver, regularly took me out on the pillion as a youngster in the 1950s and often touched three-figure speeds where safe to do so.

I loved it, although there was one occasion when a trip to Scotland at night had to be abandoned after about 45 miles due to the onset of very heavy rain; I was very disappointed, but understood the reason.
122 mph biker punished. - madux
Three figure speeds in the fifties - a Vincent?
122 mph biker punished. - ndbw
Yes a Vincent as my 1939 Rapide would just exceed 100mph but by the fifties several others would join the club,suggest you check facts madux.

Regarding the main thread the punishment for giving a schoolboy an experience all his mates will envy is completely over the top.

ndbw
I was only guessing, ndbw. No facts to check :)
Oops I thought you were Stuartli :(
122 mph biker punished. - martint123
I see on the video at tinyurl.com/ajgowt the camera kept showing "error 03" which a bit of googling shows "Error 03 - Unstable reading due to poor aim or panning off of target"
>>Three figure speeds in the fifties - a Vincent? >>

It was a burgundy or red Ariel Huntmaster (650cc), basically intended for side-car work. Photo of one at:

tinyurl.com/ccsxjr (www.vintagebike)

One for sale in Chorley on the same website: tinyurl.com/aq2enn

He also had a Douglas Dragonfly for a while (£196 at Pride and Clark)..:-)

Before and during the war it was a BSA 350cc machine - only seen photos of this whilst still a child, but can remember the registration number.

Edited by Stuartli on 03/03/2009 at 17:47

122 mph biker punished. - 1400ted
I don't know all the ins and outs of this incident and I think it's not good to take an unprotected child on the back but a couple of things spring to mind. I noticed the Error 03 as well, There were lots of cars on the video...could any of these affect the read out ?. Looking at the bend, unless it was distorted by camera distance, etc, I would have expected him to have his knee down on tarmac at 122 mph.
Did the rider admit to the speed ? IMO 6 months way too harsh unless lots of previous.
Ted
>>.. I would have expected him to have his knee down on tarmac at 122 mph.>>

That was pretty much what I said to my best mate last night.
122 mph biker punished. - FotheringtonThomas
I reckon in that clip he's doing about 40MPH.