Indian Enfield Bullet - should I buy one - gramar
I'm looking for some advice. I have a thing about the 350/500 classic 4 speed (non electric start) Bullet and have lusted after one for some time. I've own over 40 bikes since 1972 from 50cc-850cc and ridden many others up to 1340cc. However I keep coming back to the Bullet. It's quirkiness and simple charm just appeals more than any other bike currently on the market. All I need is a simple, cheap runabout for local journeys and an occasional longer trip. I have ridden both models and much prefer the 350. I've been two years in the wilderness (read bikeless) and am itching to get back.

Does anyone own a bullet? If so would you recommend one or not? What's good/bad about them?
Indian Enfield Bullet - should I buy one - doctorchris
I have never owned a Bullet but have thought about buying one.
If you refer to;
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=72...6
you will see that I've frequently chosen bikes nominated as worst ever, so that should put you off a Bullet forever.
Indian Enfield Bullet - should I buy one - madux
A friend used to have an original 350 Bullet. He loved it. 80 or 100mpg and I, on a much more powerful Honda CX500, could not keep up with him on twisty roads!
Indian Enfield Bullet - should I buy one - Armitage Shanks {p}
Very very short service intervals I believe, 2500 mile oil changes rings a bell.
Indian Enfield Bullet - should I buy one - madux
Service intervals? Quoi?
A few hours every weekend is enough.
Indian Enfield Bullet - should I buy one - sumpnut
I bought new a 500 Bullet and owned it for about six years and it was horrible.
The best part was appearance and I must admit it did look nice with good paint finish and polished alloy casings, and it did steer well, but that was its only good points for me.
The not so good parts are as follows,
From the start it never would tick over reliably which I finally tracked down to an incorrectly ground exhaust valve. It came will a bent valve adjuster.
The gearbox selector takes a lot of setting up to get rid of all the false neutrals.
The vibration over 30m.p.h. for a pillion becomes progressively worse as the speed increases.
The silencer baffles blew out the back after one year.
The electrics are crude, the battery leaked electrolyte, but the headlight was bright with a good pattern.
The front brake, a twin leading shoe job, dangerously grabbed and then faded. A nightmare in the wet.
The petrol tank cap had a cork washer and was vented which stained the surrounding paintwork.
it seemed the rear swinging are was to short because any sort of loading to the carrier would lift the front wheel.

In 1930 the bike was O.K. but today it will only bring you tears if you do anything other than look at it.
Indian Enfield Bullet - should I buy one - mike hannon
My first bike was a 1960 Crusader Sport and the gear selection was just as above. And incurable.
I still hanker after an Indian Bullet tho...quite nice to look at and not fast enough to get me into trouble.
Indian Enfield Bullet - should I buy one - Cris_on_the_gas
Should you buy a 40 year old bike design and ride it on the road. Well would buy anything that 40 years old and expect it to live up to our modern expectations. If you do , then you might have to be prepared to be disapointed. Charm is one thing, having a 40 ton truck up yer chuff on a wet day with a quirky misfire is something else.
Indian Enfield Bullet - should I buy one - happytorque
Would you go out and buy a brand new Morris Marina, if you could have a Ford Focus for the same money? If you would, go buy the Enfield. If like me you wouldnt, then buy something made by Honda or Yamaha instead. I feel sure you would enjoy the Jap bikes more.
Indian Enfield Bullet - should I buy one - TurboD
Did you buy one?, has it fallen to bits yet?- should have by now , unless you dare not ride it.

Get a proper bike and just press the button and - GO.
Any decent Jap up to 600 would be perfect.

Indian Enfield Bullet - should I buy one - gramar
Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to read my post and reply. The jury is still out on this one but it seems more unlikely now that I'll get an Enfield for one thing the s/hand values seems to be increasing looking at the prices currently being asked and the cost of the latest EFI model is a joke.

I was attracted by their old world charm and relative simplicity and cheapness. My second choice for a good cheap bike is the Kawasaki ER5 - I tried one a few years back and was impressed by it.
Indian Enfield Bullet - should I buy one - Harleyman
If its old-word charm and simplicity you want, go buy an 883 Harley Sportster. Proven design, good residuals, reasonably well put together and any number to be had on e-bay for three grand.

Couple of bits of advice on the model; avoid the earlier Ironheads unless you're an experienced mechanic, nothing intrinsically wrong with them but they do need more attention than the modern ones. I know 'cos I've owned them for 20 years! Also avoid the earlier 4-speed Evos (easily spotted 'cos they're chain drive) as the gearbox isn't as robust as the later 5-speeds. And don't be fooled into thinking that more shiny bits equals higher cost.