Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - Pica
I have never ever ridden a motorcycle before and today I decided it was time I learned and booked a CBT :O

The main reason is I am fed up with congestion and boring cars. Is it possible for a 46 year old grumpy bloke to do this without killing himself?
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - bathtub tom
>>Is it possible for a 46 year old grumpy bloke to do this without killing himself?

Probably.

Remember, you don't bounce as well as you did thirty years ago! ;>)
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - harry m
although i passed my test when i was 16 now 61 had a bike again in my forties for a couple of years then again two years ago still have it.go for it just be more aware of cars they do seem attracted to motor bikes.go for it and enjoy.
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - SteVee
>>The main reason is I am fed up with congestion and boring cars. Is it possible for a 46 year old grumpy bloke to do this without killing himself? <<

It's certainly possible. After passing your test, get some 'advanced training' - it's much more fun than the pre-test stuff (and very cheap !)

What sort of bike do you want ? I'd recommend one of the 'adventure' traillie type bikes - the BMW 1200GS being the obvious choice, though the V-Strom and TDM are also good.

Are you going to be commuting ?

Good luck with the CBT and test.
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - BrianW
Age is no problem so long as your essential bits work OK.

I'm coming up 64 and still do an 80miles plus round trip into the West End from Essex.

However, for me it's a cheap form of transport (which I prefer to the bus/train/tube alternative) so I've stuck to sub-250cc bikes which do the job economically.

After all, there's not much point in running an expensive sports bike when a third of the journey is in London ttaffic and most of the rest is in a 60 NSL.
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - Cris_on_the_gas
No absolutely not, nothing wrong in sat in a traffic jam and looking at a bike zoom past. I got into to bikes when i was 16, much better than waiting for the bus or having to pedal everywhere, that was some years ago.
Have you considered the direct access rather than getting a 125 licence. That way you can learn on a 500cc bike. Its a bit more expensive to start with but whan you pass you can ride anything. Might be best to start off with something with some modest power such as a 500 twin rather than a sports bike to gain some confidence and experience. Generally bigger bikes are easier to ride that 125's. Definitely worth going for the advanced training once you've got yer test out of the way. This has really helped me out, and saved some scary moments. There again I would say that as I am now an IAM/RoSPA Observer/ Tutor. What ever you end up doing, enjoy yer journey into biking.
Thanks for the replies.

I have put my name down for the Direct Access because as I am doing it I might as well go the whole way. I am unsure of what bike to get and will wait until/if I get the license. I have been recommended to go for a Honda CBF600/Hornet or the Yamaha XJ6 Diversion but looking at the weights between these and a 1300cc I might just go for a biggie from the start but will probably stick with a 600 for a year for experience.

I will definitely sign up for the Advanced Training too. I thought about doing am advanced course in the car but the bike training makes more sense.

I must admit on one hand I am still wondering what I am doing but on the other I can't wait to do it. As a teenager my parents banned me from ever getting or thinking about a bike but it's an itch that needs to be scratched.

Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - Westpig
For goodness sake make sure you definitely book the advanced lessons.

I love riding a bike and enjoy it immensely...but...i'm convinced the only reason i'm still here is advanced car driving, the principle of which i've transferred to the bike.

You absolutely have to drive defensively...and get rid of the thoughts "I have right of way" etc....(you might well have, but it'll do you no good when someone pulls out on you).

It'll make you a far better car driver, because you'll end up seeing a lot more. Good luck.
I showed my Mrs this post and she picked up on the "I have right of way" bit and apparently, I do have a problem with this and get quite grumpy when I have to give way when it is my right away!

I feel I have got quite a bit of re-learning to do
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - Frank01
I was a bit of a late develper like youself.
I know that you have booked the direct access route but there is an alternative and in my opinion a safer route and that is to pass your CBT, then pass your theory test. You can then buy a 125 cc bike and take your test on it after a couple of months. You will then be able to ride any bike that is restricted bike ( 33BHP) for two years to get the experience.

After the two years you automatically get the full license.

I found that a lot of the bike schools encourage everyone to go the direct access route for financial reasons and don't mention option above.

Ride Safely
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - Harleyman
Regarding going for the "biggie"; bear in mind that a lot of the bigger bikes will out-perform cars that you can only dream of buying.

Good advice from Frank01 there IMO.However good and experienced a car driver you are, you don't develop "bike sense" by doing a two week course; it comes with practice and like anything else in life, the younger you start the more chance you have of being good at it, quickly.

Big bikes today, unlike thirty years ago, are far, far better than most of the people who are riding them, in terms of their performance and their ability to deal with extreme situations. Choose carefully; there are many bikes out there which are simply not comfortable or easy to ride within legal limits.

I am not trying to dissuade you. I wish you good luck, and many years of happy motorcycling; but do ride within YOUR limits not the bike's!
I showed my Mrs this post and she picked up on the "I have right
of way" bit and apparently I do have a problem with this and get quite
grumpy when I have to give way when it is my right away!

you're no different to the rest of us....it's just realising how vulnerable you are on the bike. I ride a bike totally differently to the way I drive a car.
I feel I have got quite a bit of re-learning to do

in which case you're probably half way there...i.e. you accept there's more to learn and are willing to keep an open mind to achieve it
WP - I agree completely.

I would recommend the Direct Access route - traffic treats a big bike very differently to a small 125. Something like the Suzuki DL650 V-Strom is big enough for traffic, without being too fast - good range also (unlike the Hornet). I'm too old to be scrunched up on a sport bike - I much prefer a more upright style - like the DL - and it has the advantage of a good view over the traffic, but not too high to get your feet down.

What are your plans regarding clothing etc ?
I really do need to learn a lot and have decided to do an IAM or similar course for the car too. After all it has been nearly 30 years since I passed my test and a conversation with my daughters driving instructor has shown me that my knowledge is well out of date.

I have taken some online example theory tests and passed some 100% and failed miserably on others mainly due to not knowing what some of the new laws are regarding learner drivers and more interestingly what a lot of road signs mean.

I have decided to proceed with the Direct Access course but will limit the bike to a 600cc - 650cc as I feel this would be a good compromise for a year or two. I also want a more upright and comfortable ride so will look at the DL650. I am used to driving a powerful car (modified LHD Mustang V8) and do respect it's power and limitations. As for clothing, I don't have a clue on where to start as yet but once the test is out of the way I will make sure I am fully protected and reflective. The riding school will provide jackets and helmets for the course and test.

I remember some advice my granddad gave me once I passed my car test "congratulations on passing your test but you now only start the process to learn to drive safely because experience is the greatest teacher. You also need to assume every other road user is out to kill you and you'll be fine.
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - Cris_on_the_gas
If your looking for clothing then a good textile suit, waterproof boots and comfortable gloves would be good for starters. At least you can wear this over your normal clothes unlike leathers. Might be worth going to some of the bigger shows round the country like the BMF, NEC,Excel and Alli Palli. These are often good places to find cheap clothing, but beware there is a lot of tat being sold. Just use your instincts and good judgement and take time to look around all the stalls before deciding. Of course you want to get a decent helmet too. Needless to state this should be comfortable and fit correctly.
A friend told not to scrimp on Helmet and Boots but as for Leather vs. textile the debate could go on and on. I must admit I would prefer something to go over my office clothes as changing all the time out of leathers might be a hassle. I m going to try and go to the bike show and see what' about.

Do you know how the grip warmers work? Are they in a glove or does the actual grip warm up?
There are all types of warmers - heated handlebar grips are common and work well - especially with hand guards.

Absolutely do not scrimp on hemet etc - that goes for any pillion passenger you may carry too. make sure that this stuff fits ! Leathers have quite a small temperature range for comfort. I prefer textile for all weather use. Rukka is very good - but tends to be black and not very visible. I have an aerostich suit, which has full armour and fits over normal clothes in a few seconds.
One thing to bear in mind is that the only time leather is guaranteed waterproof is when it's still on the back of the cow!

Also agree with SteVee about comfort; I'd suggest that whatever suit you buy should have detachable lining for cold-weather use.
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - gmac
The main reason is I am fed up with congestion and boring cars. Is it
possible for a 46 year old grumpy bloke to do this without killing himself?

I have just done a 2k mile road trip in a week with a group of mates. Most are in their forties, the eldest was sixty-five and riding a Fireblade.
I hope I'm still capable of riding a sportsbike when I'm sixty-five. Fantastic !
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - 1400ted
I am in complete agreement with Westpig. You need to treat a bike differently than a car. I find the best thing is to drive defensively at all times and assume everyone is out to get you. My advanced police car and bike training is still with me at all times.

Age is no problem...our group are all over 60, we go camping sur le continent regularly, going down to Switzerland, Germany and Italy. The oldest of our team is 77 and has been riding since 1948.
Pick a bike YOU like, I happen to ride an automatic now due to problems with gearchange leg but it is 600cc and quick enough to keep up !

Go for it, but keep the shiny side up !

Ted

Edit...And keep up the grumpy, too many happy people about !

Edited by 1400ted on 15/07/2009 at 00:36

Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - RaineMan

What's the automatic bike Ted? I rode bikes but never passed my test in my teens. At the start of last year I talked to one of the training companies and decided to do Direct Access. I had intended to go the 125 route but they felt that I was too tall and heavy for one and would be better going for something of at least 400cc. Unfortuneately I had an accident shortly afterwards and broke my left leg badly - the surgeon describing it as a nasty and unusual fracture. Although the strength has returned the flexability has not. A friend passed his test at 65 and rides a Ducati Monster - he cannot stop grinning these days!
I looked at a semi automatic Yamaha today. The guy said it was just like the manual but without a clutch. I am not sure they do them fully automatic as I forgot to ask.
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - bazza
Hello Pica
No you're not mad. although you will get sick of the midlife crisis jokes! I did my CBT 5 years ago aged 44, then spent 18 months or so on a 125 , then did my test on a 125 and passed. I then bought a restricted 500 and am now riding a "standard" Bandit 650. I think the way i did it allowed me to build up more experience than a 5 day intensive course. The training can be quite tiring as well.
As mentioned, riding a bike completely changes your attitude on the road to a much more aware, defensive one. It is completely different to driving a car! I found the theory and hazard perception tests very useful revision.
Onto bikes and probably for you, similar to me, look at 500s like the CB 500 or ER5, or GS 500. Even a restricted 500 is easily as quick as a warm/hot hatch and takes a bit of getting used to on 2 wheels. It's very easy to over-do it. The 650 Bandit I currently ride is more than powerful enough for myself, I don't have the skills to exploit anything like its full potential. It's difficult for a car driver to understand the enormous acceleration advantage even a middle weight bike has over most cars on the road. These bikes demand a degree of "respect"!!
Good luck and go for it. It's been one of the best, most enjoyable, most liberating things I've ever done!
totally agree with bazzas comments i to have a 2 year old abs 650 bandit and enjoy it but only when the sun shines.
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - Andy_Daytona 900
Nothing wrong with hopping on!
I've had a couple of older friends who've sold new bikes as the hp and performance scared them, (mind you they were returning to 2 wheels after 30 years) and buying new models.

Vunerability is a key issue, junctions and filing through traffic are the biggest things to be careful about. Other than that, grab a medium sized engine and go for the expensive direct access
Thanks again for the advice.

The CBT is on Friday and then I can then start the direct access course fairly quickly.

I have fallen in love with a 2008 Triumph Bonneville SE. I saw one at a local motorshow. Do you think this will be too much to handle once the test has been passed?

Those Triumph Bikes are so lovely.

The Bonnies are lovely rides. It has a low centre of gravity, well balanced and although I think it's about 800cc, it should handle well. Triumphs are usually built like trains, so very reliable.
My local dealer's website lists the spec on recent models if you fancy a chat with them too..
www.jacklilley.com/index.asp

I fancied trialling a Bonny America although it seemed a bit of a cheek mixing American cruise styling with a proper Brit bike, heh
You are now the second person to recommend this dealer :) I have found out they are only 11 miles from my house so I will definitely pay them a visit

Yeah nice crowd, you'll love the shop (warehouse size with free coffee too).
Of course when you visit, you'll see a few retro style Thunderbirds too.. I think they have a couple of bikes on show, from the Brooklands era. not sure.

Im picking up some gear there tonight, I have strict orders not to drool over the Speed Triples!
I have fallen in love with a 2008 Triumph Bonneville SE. I saw one at
a local motorshow. Do you think this will be too much to handle once the
test has been passed?

Not at all; in fact I think it's an excellent choice. All the style of the old Triumphs (even I have to look twice sometimes to make sure it's a modern one!) compact and quite easy to ride. Good reports also on build quality.

Good luck with the test; keep it upright!
CBT went very well today and from never ever ridden a bike it feels good to have done it. I have decided to get a 125 for a while to practice my road-craft before moving onto the next stage.

Although, I very nearly cancelled as a colleague was killed last weekend when a car was driving on the wrong side of the road hit my colleague head on. I only found out about this last night and I am deeply shocked.

One thing I have learned today is car/van drivers (on the whole) do not give a damn about bikers. At least I will be able to treat them properly from today.
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - Frank01
Pica
You can book a bike test on line and take your full bike test on the 125cc. I think it costs about £70.00. Depending on how you get on you can then decide on the next step.
One thing I have learned today is car/van drivers (on the whole) do not give
a damn about bikers. At least I will be able to treat them properly from
today.

Congratulations on passing your CBT, and welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling!

What you said above is of course what all bikers know from day one. This is the payoff from having two generations of drivers who have never ridden a motorcycle of any sort. Safe within their airbagged and side-impact-protected world, it's just like being on the fairground dodgems to them, and probably safer.
I have decided to do a couple of extra days training on a 125cc. Although the CBT was very good I feel a couple more days riding with an instructor would be good and after this I will decide whether to stay with the 125 or maybe look at the bigger bikes.

I want a pair of fairly good waterproof boots can anyone recommend a good pair for a beginner.

Thanks
My Prexport waterproof boots were genuinely waterproof.
My Oxtar waterproof boots are not (I don't think the left one is windproof :-) )
I'm currently looking at buying a pair of Altbergs

A good rain oversuit is very good at keeping you dry.
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - madux
Try your local army surplus store for second-hand German army paratroop boots. They are waterproof and high enough. Not bought a pair for a few years - I still have two pairs - but I doubt they would cost more than about 25 quid these days.
Second that; but insist on German ones, the Russian boots are carp.

Good ankle protection (well given their origins it would be!) and comfortable to walk round in too, not something you can say for a lot of bike boots.

They've gone up a bit madux, expect to pay about £30 for a decent pair now.

Whilst you're in the surplus store, look out for Goretex over-trousers; Dutch army IIRC.

Went to Sussex and back t'other weekend, my legs and bum were totally dry for 600 miles and it rained most of the way. They also have zips which go all the way up the leg making removal easier.
When you buy waterproof over garments, the best ones are the all in ones (for keeping out water)..but then you need to buy them quite big, to be able to get them over your normal wear unaided. I did this, then found they were a bit too big, because they'd billow at speed...so to prevent that I had to duct tape them up at intervals...which made me look like the Michelin Man

I didn't think it would be a problem as if I was dry, what would it matter what I looked like... until I passed a car full of kids in France who were pointing and were seemingly in hysterics.
That's a very good point WP. getting the right size can be (very) difficult.
Of my two local bike shops, one is very good at getting the right size for a customer, t'other just wants to make a sale.
It is essential to get the helmet right - but other gear needs to fit properly too, and fit with the other gear you will use it with.

You might also consider how all this works at a 'comfort stop' ....
2 days of proper training completed in addition to the CBT. This week I am moving on from a 125cc to a 500cc. Theory test booked and I am told I am now ready for module 1.

Module 2 - I still need some polishing (instructor speak) but I am told I am about 70% there and I am loving it so far.

This week duffers on the road list include white vans (worst by far), buses (seem to pull out without looking all the time), and a couple of Golf GTI's (one black and one silver) following far too close. I have also noted how really bad our roads are with deep potholes, worn out painted lines and speed limit signs hidden by overgrown trees and bushes .
couple of Golf GTI's (one black and one silver) following far too close..............................
I found that too when learning on the 125. Lots of drivers like to tailgate to try and force you into the kerb (which is exactly where you shouldn't be) so they have an easy overtake. Maintain a dominant position in your lane and don't be intimidated. If need be, pull over safely and let them pass but don't be tempted to ride in the gutter. You'll find you won't have this problem on 500 and bigger, as the bike has more road presence- and you'll be able to smoke all but the most powerful cars anyway!
Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - Sheepy-by-the-Sea
Only just seen this thread - and no, you're not mad.

I was like you at 40 - never even ridden a moped, now I'm on a Yamaha XJR1300 after going through a Kawasaki GPZ500 (4 months), Suzuki DL650 (2 years), Honda Pan European 1300 (3 months) and now over 2 years on the Yamaha.

I wish I'd never sold the Suzuki, it was plenty of bike for me, but being late into bikes I wanted to at least experience something bigger. The XJR's perfectly controllable, just unnecessarily big!

When training I experienced the tailgating even on a 500 - I think it's the L-plates. Our instructor took great pleasure in getting us to accelerate vigorously as soon as we left a 30 limit - leaving the tailgater looking nonplussed. I've also found that when I've ridden a 125 after passing my test (I still think you get more fun out of a sub-250) I didn't have any tailgating problems.

As for gear - the one thing I'd recommend is Altberg boots. My first pair of bike boots (Rev'it) lasted barely a year - I've had the Altbergs for four years and they're like new and incredibly comfortable.
Just spent a day on a Suzuki GS500 which was superb. It did take me about 20 - 30 mins to get used to it after the 125cc. I must say I felt much more comfortable with the 500cc and the power/acceleration was awesome in comparison (if not a little frightening). I agree that a 650cc is more than sufficient for a new rider.

One and a half days training to do before they put me forward for the big test! I have bought a copy of the Police Road-craft book which is excellent and appear to be constantly studying. I do well on the mock tests but no so good on the Hazard Perception as I am still clicking the developing hazards too early which means I don't score on them. I get 100% in the Highway code test but only 50% in the hazard perception computer game.

I picked up an interim pair of waterproof boots Spada's for £55 and I will look for something better if I pass the tests.
Bike Theory and Hazard perception now passed :) That Hazard Perception was a hard nut to crack as when I was practising I kept clicking the hazard outside the scoring zone (i.e. too early). With a bit of practice and technique I finally managed to master it.

The theory test was far too easy in my opinion but I am grateful it was as I got 100%

Need to book some more training now
Congratulations on the tests now passed.
Are you taking the test on the 500 ? How are the U turns and emergency stops coming along ?
Thanks.

Yes, the test will be done on the 500 and I have already had to do an emergency stop for real whilst training when a pedestrian decided to run out in the road! I have not done a U turn or any swerve practice on the 500 yet but I managed OK with these on the 125 and I am informed that the slow work is easier on the bigger better balanced bike - I hope so anyway.

Am I mad? Midlife crisis no.2 - gmac
I have not done a U turn or any swerve practice on
the 500 yet but I managed OK with these on the 125 and I am
informed that the slow work is easier on the bigger better balanced bike - I
hope so anyway.

That's the important bit with anything mechanical, as I am sure you are aware. Get the slow stuff right, run through it in your mind and, the fast stuff will come easy enough.

Congrats on the paperwork ! Sometimes that can be a bigger obstacle for some folks.
Mod 1 now booked :O I am fed up of going around and around cones so I hope to crack this first time. Road riding is fine (or so I am told) but this Mod 1 looks on the face of things quite easy but nearly everyone I have spoke with recently has failed it on stupid things.
good luck.
Mod 1 passed today :) much easier than I thought it would be. The training school made sure the cones were positioned very close but at the test centre they were spaced out so much further.

Mod 2 now applied for and I know this is going to be a little more difficult but I can't wait to give it a crack
Mod 2 passed today :D So that's the the boring stuff out of the way now time to test out some nice bikes.

It was a great test ride I thoroughly enjoyed it (how weird is that) just 2 minors so as soon as I buy the bike I will now book up some advanced training and do some real riding as opposed to going around and around housing estates and roundabouts.
well done....any idea on which bike you'll go for?
Thanks.

I have narrowed down the list to the Triumph Street Triple R or the standard Street Triple. The sales guy is doing a good job in selling the advantages of the R with the 4 pot brakes and adjustable suspension but reviews I have read rate the standard brakes as being very powerful. The cost differential is about £700.

I am testing the R at the end of the week and I will also try the standard and then try to make a decision. I just need to get something sorted to get some miles in on my own. One of my instructors was pointing me to the Speed Triple but I think this might be too much of a bike for a first one (and it costs a lot more).

Triumph Street Triple R or the standard Street Triple......

Blimey, you don't mess about do you!!!! They are powerful bikes, Are you sure something a little less fierce might not be more suitable, a 500 or tame 600? More than enough power to be honest. Congrats on passing test by the way :-)
Thanks again

I do hear what you are saying but I want a bike I can grow into over time. I understand these bikes are powerful but I do not have to use the power until I am more experienced. I have also noticed quite a few mature females riding them so hopefully they can be sensible choice too?

I guess I will know at the test ride if the power is too much.
I am now the proud of a Street Triple R. The bike fits me very well and as I have to run it in by not exceeding 5000 rpm it is allowing me to get used to it progressively. I have done 70 miles today just riding around the countryside in the sunshine she handles like a dream so for me I think I have made the right choice.

Going to book some advanced training now and get some more miles under my belt

congrats on passing your test and enjoy many miles on your new bike.