Re-taxing a SORNed bike? - Waino
An earlier thread asked the question ?who, on here, has a bike?? Sadly, I couldn?t respond because I had just sold my Suzuki in a fit of pique after forgetting to declare SORN whilst the bike was laid up in the garage over winter. I didn?t mention that our garage housed my 1958 Triumph T21 ? last ridden in 1976, and my son?s SORNed 1988 Yamaha RXS100.

When I suggested to a bike-mad friend that I would sell the Triumph, he was adamant that we should get it going again (this will no doubt appear on another thread at some time in the future!), but agreed that it would take much less work to get the little Yamaha back on the road.

After a few weeks work, the Yamaha has passed its MoT and it is ready for the road ? however, could someone clarify the correct order of doing thing now, in order to retax the bike from its SORNed state? Would it be possible to do it on-line?

Cheers Waino
Re-taxing a SORNed bike? - martint123
If the Yam has a new style V5C and is SORN'd yearly then so long as you have MOT and Insurance then you can tax it online or by phone accroding to the V11 renewal notice ythat you should have been getting each year.
Thanks, Martin. I'll have to arrange insurance first (i.e. tomorrow) but - just wondering how long the information will take to get through to DVLA in order for me to retax the bike on-line. Still, I suppose the insurance co ought to be able to tell me that.
If they are any good then the next day. If they are like mine were, then weeks.

A post Office might be a better bet when you have mot and insurance in hand - along with the V11 renewal notice.
I fixed up the insurance today and was told there might be a delay before it is entered onto the DVLA database. I didn't ask any further questions but assumed that this would be because of post delay etc. When the certificate arrives, I'll go along with your suggestion and use the Post Office.

Actually, I'm not sure that I've got a V11 renewal notice as the bike has changed hands and I'm bringing it out of SORN. I'll have to have another scrabble through the filing system.

If it has changed hands then any SORN ends at that point.

You may have to get form V10 from the post office to tax it without a renewel (V11)

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowTo...0

Thanks again. Looks as though I'll be able to do it with the new registration certificate as soon as the new insurance cover note arrives.