motoring 50s-60s style , at low cost (motorcycle) - enfield freddy
as some of you might know , I LIKE my old motorcycles , one brand in particular , is the enfield , and the bullet model.

I posted this on another website , and the modern bikers , with fuel injection and elleccy ign could not grasp it:

"I thought that the replacement enfield engine was a bit sluggish , almost like a sticky ring , comp was there on k/start , but did not have a guage handy to check.

walked to petrol stn with an empty ep90 container , chap filling with diesel , asked him to put me 50p in my container,

over the last week or so I have warmed the engine up , then removed the plug , and given it a "glug" of diesel down the bore , morning after , placed a rag over the top and kicked it , a lot of sh 1 t , came out of the exaust , this was continued for about 5 nights , on morning 3 and morning 6 , i drained the sump , that should hold 30ml oil , quite a lot of crap came out ,

DIY decoke on the piston head , but more so on the rings ,

50p well spent

the bike now ticks over better and smoother , but it was fun getting rid of all that unburnt diesel! "

noe I know my old dad used to say "4 gallons and a shot of redex" , (think that was £1?)

oils have changed over the years , but this simple solution , used 20 yrs ago on old minis worked for me?
motoring 50s-60s style , at low cost (motorcycle) - Cris_on_the_gas
Great story Freddy.

I suppose the modern bikers would be thinking of their electronic fuel injection, most modern bikes only have electric starter. A lot of modern bikes you have to remove the fairing and petrol tank to get at the spark plugs. Then there's the Catalytic convertor to worry about.

I remember with fondness having to work on old bikes at the start of my motorcycling career. All the liitle tricks you learned from other friendly bikers. However at the time it was more from necesity than enjoyment.

Just to think how much progress has been made in what must be short number of years. Whether you think this is good or bad could be another thing.

Good luck on the Enfield !
motoring 50s-60s style , at low cost (motorcycle) - enfield freddy
cheers chris , the bike as it was with the older 350 lump

i39.tinypic.com/207ujqc.jpg

but now with 500cc power!!!

had to do a few mods to keep her fit for the 21st century ,

i43.tinypic.com/fof7d1.jpg

i40.tinypic.com/fu2vif.jpg

and using technology from modern diesel cars has solved that "wetsumping" problem , and blowing waste oil onto the chain/tyre

i41.tinypic.com/29xd6cj.jpg

tiz a one way diesel valve used to stop fuel running back in the tank overnight , it now chucks excess oil flow back into my oil tank , and vents the air/fumes on to the chain,

the ign , is a "points assist" kit from maplins (£9.99 velleman) and the points last forever ,,,

yes i live my old bikes,

alan